need to buy a welder

That's a stick welder Karl, if you want a welder for working on cars, you'd be far better buying a MIG welder :grinning:.

yeah trust me stick welders are a nightmare ive got one. they blow fuse's like no tomorrow and they just burn threw most things on a car. they are about the best thing to weld a cast iron manifold with but i cant think of any other use for a car lol. get yourself a mig that use's them tiny bottles thats all you would need for car work.

yeah trust me stick welders are a nightmare ive got one. they blow fuse's like no tomorrow and they just burn threw most things on a car. they are about the best thing to weld a cast iron manifold with but i cant think of any other use for a car lol. get yourself a mig that use's them tiny bottles thats all you would need for car work.

Agreed I hate arc welding!
I've got a mig gas/gasless I'd suggest not bothering with the little bottles too expensive when you can get the big ones much cheaper and refills cheaper than 100s of bottles

Agreed I hate arc welding!
I've got a mig gas/gasless I'd suggest not bothering with the little bottles too expensive when you can get the big ones much cheaper and refills cheaper than 100s of bottles

yeah i hate it as well lol the fumes that come off arc welding is terrible. ive never bought bottles as ive never owned a mig yet :laugh: ive only used them in the garage.

karl if your good with your hands and don't mind spending a bit extra have a look at tig welders if you want really clean/neat welds. its just like soldering imo. the metal has to be clean tho. it a lot of farting around but the results look awesome.

At the moment it's my budget or lack of that made me look at it..... So it's mig or arc is there any brands I should steer clear of and any that's recommended?

I'm gonna stick up for arc welding here

Here's why, I plug it in, put in a rod and weld

That's just it, it takes skill and patience something I'm learning

My whole turbo setup, mani exhaust the lot has been made with a £60 mma inverter welder and 309l rods

Mig IS better but also requires gas which is expensive and I think you should start at the bottom and work your way up to mig then tig

I'm doing my own sills too, cut out the rot, cut panel to fit, 1.6mm rods at 25 -30 amps, done

No repair bill other than 3 rods at 10p each and a bit of filler and paint

Each to there own I suppose, would love a mig but there to expensive and I've heard nothing but bad reviews about the little 110 amp etc easy migs that they don't penetrate

Honestly there not bad just take some time to use and get use too

My whole turbo setup, mani exhaust the lot has been made with a £60 mma inverter welder and 309l rods

Mig IS better but also requires gas which is expensive and I think you should start at the bottom and work your way up to mig then tig

I'm doing my own sills too, cut out the rot, cut panel to fit, 1.6mm rods at 25 -30 amps, done

Each to there own I suppose, would love a mig but there to expensive and I've heard nothing but bad reviews about the little 110 amp etc easy migs that they don't penetrate

well said that man (Y) i altered my stainless steel exh system with a DC inverter stick welder noooo probs :cool:
(3rd silencer and smaller tailpipe)

ahh i keep forgetting about them dc inverters i wanna try one of them out cause i just aint got the room for bottles at the min and i don't think my mam would take to kindly to bottle's lying round lol.

as frank says that is well said mate (Y). if you ask me skill and practice with any welder thats makes a good weld. ive welded thin stuff with my arc but the result is ugly cause its a 40amp minimum unit. i wouldn't touch a manifold with anything other than sticks. a few people i know have mig welders and they just can't use them the weld ends up blobby and splattery as f**** and hardly any penetration so its not the welder its the person doing the welding.

Mine was from eBay same as r reg I think, it's very controllable guys, doesn't splatter and you can do a bead as easy as pie

It's huge though.....

55d20beb-d6d6-648d.jpg

Don't be fooled lol

55d20beb-d6ec-11b6.jpg

Yes the milk carton is bigger!!

55d20beb-d706-802f.jpg

Earth strap in
Positive lead in and set amps

55d20beb-d72d-1cbf.jpg

55d20beb-d753-c4ee.jpg

All set up

This is the mask it comes with

55d20beb-d772-defc.jpg

Bit naff but modified it to stay on with the mrs elastic exercise thing she didn't need

55d20beb-d7a0-b568.jpg

Wicked bit of kit IMO and a special thanks to Frank aswell for making me feel confident to take on the task of welding

The welder helps but it's also the welder

Good luck Karl :)

lol i cant believe how small that is :wow: now thats tempted me even more (Y)

if i was you karl i get one of them. welding with sticks can be usefull for all the hard to reach places :laugh: think im really going to try one of these. do they buzz like hell martin or are they pretty quiet? as my current one sounds like a dozen wasps trying to escape from a paper bag lol

Mine was from eBay same as r reg I think, it's very controllable guys, doesn't splatter and you can do a bead as easy as pie

It's huge though.....

55d20beb-d6d6-648d.jpg

Don't be fooled lol

55d20beb-d6ec-11b6.jpg

Yes the milk carton is bigger!!

55d20beb-d706-802f.jpg

Earth strap in
Positive lead in and set amps

55d20beb-d72d-1cbf.jpg

55d20beb-d753-c4ee.jpg

All set up

This is the mask it comes with

55d20beb-d772-defc.jpg

Bit naff but modified it to stay on with the mrs elastic exercise thing she didn't need

55d20beb-d7a0-b568.jpg

Wicked bit of kit IMO and a special thanks to Frank aswell for making me feel confident to take on the task of welding

The welder helps but it's also the welder

Good luck Karl :)

Awesome a welder that welds cardboard boxes ;)

lol i cant believe how small that is :wow: now thats tempted me even more (Y)

if i was you karl i get one of them. welding with sticks can be usefull for all the hard to reach places :laugh: think im really going to try one of these. do they buzz like hell martin or are they pretty quiet? as my current one sounds like a dozen wasps trying to escape from a paper bag lol

To be honest all I can here is a fan, sounds like a pc being on

I laid an old bed sheet on the dinner table and a wooden chopping board and welded my turbo manifold indoors at night, had the window open

Few craters in the table but denied all and suggest it was the kids lol

I think there pukka, the only recommendation I have is a proper auto darkening mask as you will get so frustrated with the stock thing

Oh and order e309l rods, I don't use anything else, there absolutely awesome to use and much much easyier than mild steel rods

Plus they weld mild to stainless :)

Go for it mate, it was bought for me as a present but best damn present I ever got

I honestly don't know what I'd do without it, this whole project is possible to me and only me making things

Get one mate you won't regret it

Oh one last thing it comes with a 240v outside plug (the ones the plug into transformers

I rang the shop on eBay and he said you can just re wire a normal plug on it :)

lol i think the guy who's selling them must be a shop or something cause there in packs so i would just ask him if they stock 1.6mm if they do let us know the price cause i usually use e6013 rods and i find them a bit s*** lol

One thing that I have found that will drastically help with your welding is an auto darkening mask - being able to see moments before you strike the arc - whatever system you are using to create it - is a massive advantage. Other than that its preparation, preparation, preparation, practice, practice, practice. I generally dont do enough of the first, and need more of the second :p

@ mark.... I'm use to both cause of my trained profession so that won't be a problem

@ mckenziecz.... to late just waiting for rods to turn up

for thin metal karl yes, and i use 2.5 mm for exhausts and bigger stuff

will they be ok for body panels? cause a friend of mine has a old door i may be able to persuade him to let me have

yeah you can use them mate there a bit pricey tho. i think you only get ten in a pack if i remember rightly. i had to get some once cause the ones i normally get was out of stock.

thb i just want to get started and they'll do until martinb replys

These are the ones I use

There 2.5 mm and they work fine, they welded my fuel rail fine which is a thin as ####ing paper, your be fine with them mate :)

Back