I’m replacing the rear wheel bearing & changing the brake shoes - what torque wrench do I need to buy?

I think the hub nut is 30mm?
What size torque wrench do you think that I should get?
Sorry I have never used a torque wrench before so this is new to me.
Is this the only bolt that needs to be torqued properly in this process?
For the wheels I usually just stand on the 4 way wheel wrench to tighten them. M
Is this bad?

Im thinking this one might be suitable?
I’m not really sure though.

Also can I use an adapter on it if the socket I have is too large to attach?

Sorry everyone I know I’m a pain in the ass lol
Really appreciate the help :)

Last edited:
Hey, torque wrenches come in terms of the range of torques they can provide and the unit is usually either foot pounds (ft lb) or newton meters (nm)

The one that you've linked can provide anywhere from 28 to 210nm, and so if the torque required on the hub is between those values it will work. You can find the torque for any bolt or fastner in the haynes manual for your car or online. The 1/2" referred to in the title is the drive size of the adapter on the end. confusing that they mix metric and imperial units but that's the UK for you lol

What that bit means is that any socket you use for it has to have a half inch square hole in the back of it. So if you needed a 30mm socket, you'd buy 30mm hex (the same pattern as the hub) on one side and a 1/2 inch square drive on the back. When I bought my torque wrench it did come with an adapter to change 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch if I remember correctly. It also came with an extender bar.

ZpQqNHd.jpg

Essentially it's the same square on both ends and allows you to use the torque wrench without hitting and scratching your wheel arches.

As far as standing on the wrench to put the wheels back on, not recommended. The scissor jack and wrench that comes with your car is for putting a spare wheel on, it's not ideal for changing wheels really, it's just supposed to get you to a garage. Same with the 4 pointed star kinds of wrenches, it's for ease of use to change a flat tyre for a spare quickly at the side of the road until you can get it fitted properly with a new tyre. Some garages do just put them on with rattle guns too which annoys the crap out of me.

If I remember correctly the 4 studs are 19mm and the proper torque is 110nm (it's in haynes if you want to double check) and I always just set them up with a torque wrench to that. You know the wheels won't loosen on their own and fall off, and you know it's not over tight in the event you need to get the wheel off at the side of the road in an emergency. Best practice. I'll link a video that explains how to use one in the next post.

Last edited:
I had to get one for the wheel bolts then have not yet used them.
They are toolzone toque and Nielsen braker bar.
The torque wrenches are not for bolt removal.
These were cheap something like 10 for the bar and 20 ish the wrench.
They both look great quality just not sure how accurate.
Any how they look like this.
They are still in the wrappers so that's how would be new.
(Btw always reset the torque wrench after use. So the spring isn't under tension then retighten the locking mech at the handle.That way it should last along time.)
I also use a socket set that has the short medium and long extensions. With a good range of sockets but the ratchet isn't up to much.have had better ones before..

P_20190525_131215.jpeg
P_20190525_131345_1.jpeg

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Last edited:
just been out and checked mine now and it's silverline, no complaints with the quality so far

it doesn't seem that you need an expensive one really, I don't think I spent any more than £30 on it