Hi new to this need a little help

Hi been given a k11 1.0 GX, she needs a little work doing on her. And I would like a bit of advice.

1st, usual thing front crossmember rotting, do I buy myself or get a garage to do. Heard a lot of stories. I can remove front bumper and stuff but I'm no welder. Is there a bolt on replacement I can do or is it weld only?

2nd, rear suspension feels a bit wishy washy, very loose. I don't think it has ever been changed but could some one advise what to replace, links, rear shocks? Also rear beam is there any way I can protect it, what about a rub down and wax oil?

3rd. I have done a service on the car nice and simple, however I think the timing chain needs replacing at some point, is it a big job and would a DIY person like myself be able to do it.

4th and last, how easy is it to replace the clutch?

Like I say just a few jobs but she runs great, would like to do most of the work myself but not to sure what these are like to work on. You know save a few pennies and have the satisfaction of doing the work myself.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

While I can't really help on those exciting technical things (you can find out a lot from using the search function), I'd like to welcome you to the magical world of MSC...

How old is the car (GX carried over from Prefacelift to facelift) ? I believe the Crossmembers on ebay can be bolted on, however they can be properly welded on aswell.

Well, the first thing you should do is get rid of that horrible bumper with those revolting fog lights.... I'll help you out by taking it off your hands for a nominal fee...

...er.

Welcome mate,

1. Bolt on Ebay ones are about £30 at last count. Might have trouble getting the old one off. Personally would get a garage to do the job, I'm guessing £150 inc p/l + welding.

2. Drop Links go loose as rubber perishes. These are a tenner or so from ECP/ebay. Replace rear shocks if they are flagging but standard they are very soft anyway so bear that in mind. I had a nice set of Billsteins front and rear and they were superb, changed the handling no end. You can waxoil the beam if you want, whilst your there, do the arches and sills including the rear wheel arch drop offs.

3. K11's all have noisy chains at some point, regular oil changes help. Replace if you want but I wouldn't want to do it. If it is just a rattly chain these can honestly go on for years and outlast the car. They don't as a rule "need changing" My previous micra had 170,000 on the clock and a rattly chain for 70,000 of those. The one before had 140,000 on the clock and the car failed MOT well before the chain went.

4.Never done a clutch but search the forum never heard they were too time consuming and they should be cheap.

As your new to micra ownership, check your sills are okay all the way along, no harm in pulling up the carpet on the inside to see if they are damp inside. Plenty of info about this on the forum and best of luck. With Micra's, prevention is a good mantra rather than waiting for them to rot.

Thanks for that info Blane's really appriciate it, checked the sills on the out side and they look to be solid, will get the carpet up and have a look.

Bill steins the best shocks then?

I am going to become a paid member. I mean it's not the most tidy of cars in fact the previous owner didn't really look after it that well there are a few scuffs and dents but I've cleaned it up and try to keep it in tip top. Eventually I will replace the dented door wing and bumpers because I intend to keep her. It's my daily driver.

I must say I'm a member of the BMW car club and I think I have had more conversation on this forum than theirs.

Thanks again

I replaced my front and rear shocks with Monroe Reflex ones and Fk automotive 35-40mm lowering springs. The handling is vastly improved whilst not overly stiff and shaking your teeth loose.

I replaced my front and rear shocks with Monroe Reflex ones and Fk automotive 35-40mm lowering springs. The handling is vastly improved whilst not overly stiff and shaking your teeth loose.

...just out of interest, how much did the shocks set you back?

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_205 using Tapatalk

New you're looking at £300?
That's coilovers (£150), correct springs (£25x4) and almost a corner weighting setup (£60-100)
Plus Noddie rod of course :)

Back