need help.

hi people i need help with my car as i have no reversing light. ive changed the bulb, fuses, switch boards, sensors outside the gear box etc, so i assume the problem is in the gear box and i cant afford a new one so instead i was told u can wire the reverse light to the dash and use a switch there. well i was wondeing if anyone noes how to do that or how i can do it safely with out burning switches out as i thought about using my back demister switch but that may not have the power to light the bulb or it could blow it. so need help its a major thing as hard to reverse in my car with no light :(.
hope for some replys thanks

If reverse gear works fine and the bulb doesnt then no you dont need to replace gearbox. Itll be a wire or something somewhere.

You only require one reverse light for an MOT so just retrofit something to turn on the reverse light when reverse is selected. A push switch or something. Shouldnt be too hard. But having an on/off sswitch on the dashboard would fail the MOT.

Naw doesn't affect the MOT, does sound like the switch or the wiring though. just roll down the window and shout warning vehicle reversing :grinning:

no it doesnt affect mot as mine passed in april. the guy i bought it off of never new bout the light being out or anything lol so shows he check though suda checked myself haha but its my first car lol though its a bargin for my first on lol

Reverse light is nothing to do with MOT! (MOT tester here! :laugh:(Y))

What year/model is your Micra?

Assuming the wiring/fuse/bulb/bulbholder are all ok it is probably the switch!

If you have a K11 Micra between L reg and about S reg (the gearboxes with a speedometer cable rather than a sensor) it will have a gear position switch, its basically an over complicated reverse light switch. Its a large plastic disc sort of thing at the bottom of the gearbox held in by a 12mm bolt. They are famous for breaking up when you try to remove them! Behind them is the actual reverse light switch, the mountings wear on them and your lights stop working. They are about £60 from Nissan. Sure I have one lying about though!
If you want to try changing that you will need to drain/refill your gear oil too. I am pretty sure you can disconnect them and bridge out the terminals (with ignition on!), when you do this the light should come in.

Later (S reg on) gearboxes have a small (normal plunger switch type) reverse light switch. You can bridge out the wires on it or unscrew it and push the switch with your fingers.

Hope this helps?

What year/model is your Micra? 1995 N reg

Assuming the wiring/fuse/bulb/bulbholder are all ok it is probably the switch! done that all new parts and bulb

Its a large plastic disc sort of thing at the bottom of the gearbox held in by a 12mm bolt. They are famous for breaking up when you try to remove them! Behind them is the actual reverse light switch, the mountings wear on them and your lights stop working. They are about £60 from Nissan. Sure I have one lying about though!
If you want to try changing that you will need to drain/refill your gear oil too. I am pretty sure you can disconnect them and bridge out the terminals (with ignition on!), when you do this the light should come in.

done all that there as got one off a old micra in scrap yard that was same year as mine and yeah other one did crumble. but that still not worked :(

is it an auto or used to me an auto? cos on the auto's loom the reverse switch from gearbox goes into the cvt control box which then controls the reverse light

is it an auto or used to me an auto? cos on the auto's loom the reverse switch from gearbox goes into the cvt control box which then controls the reverse light

that really scared me at scrappy's seeing the auto ecu with another box near it,horrified i was
as one brain ecu is enough to boggle my brain for a long while

no shes always been a manual since she was created. as i got log book and that lol.
so thats not the problem its probly a fault in gear box or something idk lol

Are you getting any power/earth to the switch on the gearbox?

Try checking the voltage drop between the fusebox and switch then switch and reverse lamp. That will show you what wiring to check.
Trace it back and look for corroded connections or damaged insulation.

tested the wired in the light aswell as the bulb n fuses there all working fine. even the part i replaced under was working fine but idk where wire is in/near gearbox so cant test it. :S

the reverse switch plug is at the very left end of the gearbox. the one behind the starter is the neutral switch.

Back