O/S headlight faulty - Help!

I have a faulty O/S headlight on my 98 Micra. The N/S headlight works correctly on main and dip, the O/S side light also works correctly. The bulb and socket are not faulty, but there is no voltage accross the O/S fuse. I presume that it is fed by a relay, but I cannot find it! My 94 has a relay under the bonnet that is missing on the 98. It may be next to the fuses in the dash, but they do not click when I turn the lights on so I cannot ID them. Lots of people have had headlight problems as they are one of the few weak areas on a micra, so I hope there might be some help out there. I need to know which relay switches my light also what is the spac of the one I need to buy so that I can start swapping them to isolate the problem.

Thank you

Still baffled by headlights

Andy

Thank you for the help and link. I have a feeling that my 98 is different to the 96 mentioned.

I cannot find the described relay box. I have looked on ebay and seen a relay box that appears to be what you are describing. I can find nothing like this after removing the steering column shrouds. I also cannot hear a relay switching over as I switch from main to dip, even though the LH headlight is working on main and dip.

In my previous posting I mentioned that the faulty light's fuse did not have a 12v voltage going to it. I have now discovered that it in fact does, but there appears to be fault between it and the bulb, where I presume it goes through the relay that I cannot find and where I think the fault lies.

Any more advice, however small, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nigel

Hi Nigel,
If you have found the power is not getting from the fuse to the lamp, I would do what the original link I sent you suggests and re-cable from the fuse directly to the lamp and disconnect the existing power lead.
It seems the connections rot out on the fuse box and this 'fix' eliminates any bad connections.

I am not sure if the fuse is after the relay or before. If its after its not too bad a job.

My problem is still lingering, however I have found that if I turn the lights on slowly - both work!

For reference I hear my lighting relay under the st. column click when first turning the lights from side to dip, as this is when the power needs to be handled by the relay. The fact you cant hear a click may suggest a problem with the relay although I am aware you are thinking it may not be located under the st. column.

Can anyone confirm where the lighting relay is on a '98?

Is there a different relay for each headlights then? I have a similar problem with a car of the same year so if I find the fault I will let you know. There is a relay for it so it must be sosome where eh.

Progress

I have now found the problem area. Its the switch/connection on the steering column. I am not yet sure which it is yet, but jiggling the wires brings it back to life when in a certain position. From information I have gleaned, it appears that the the switch in facelift models might take all the current and I have looked at the parts list and cannot find a relay. This makes some sort of sense as there is no clicking when switching on the of wiring too. If this is the case, the switch will be under a considerable load, which is unusual for a lighting circuit, but explains why so many have problems with this particular are of a Micra's electrics.

I have now found the problem area. Its the switch/connection on the steering column. I am not yet sure which it is yet, but jiggling the wires brings it back to life when in a certain position. From information I have gleaned, it appears that the the switch in facelift models might take all the current and I have looked at the parts list and cannot find a relay. This makes some sort of sense as there is no clicking when switching on the of wiring too. If this is the case, the switch will be under a considerable load, which is unusual for a lighting circuit, but explains why so many have problems with this particular are of a Micra's electrics.
Good man! I was at micra(2) last night and came to the same conclusion about there being no relay, i took the big fuse/relay box apart to try to find a fault it that, but its pretty basic connections with no burn out part or anything.
i will check the switch when i get a chance.
thanks for the info!

Further progress!

I today fitted a new column switch and all the lights now work. It did not have the same secondary part number, but the primary was the same. It now all works perfectly. I retried the old switch, but I had to put the wires entering the switch under a sideways twist to make the circuits work. I have stripped the switich, but can see nothing amiss. It is full of copper pressings and springs, so the must be a contact problem there somewhere. Another lesson lesson on running a micra learnt.

Noddie, I hope you sort yours soon.

I fitted a spare switch I had knocking about. It made the drivers side work but stopped the passenger side working:mad: so I re wired the circuit using the drivers side output to run two separate relays for dip and full beam. I used the original wires to the lights but just intercepted them at the switch. I had the dash out which made access easier to the relay box (which is where the fuel pump relay is FYI) behind the fuses. Now the lights work fine and its stopped a stupid amount of amps going through the switch. (just used standard blue micra relays)
Further progress!

I today fitted a new column switch and all the lights now work. It did not have the same secondary part number, but the primary was the same. It now all works perfectly. I retried the old switch, but I had to put the wires entering the switch under a sideways twist to make the circuits work. I have stripped the switich, but can see nothing amiss. It is full of copper pressings and springs, so the must be a contact problem there somewhere. Another lesson lesson on running a micra learnt.

Noddie, I hope you sort yours soon.

Back