Help!!!

Jimbob101

Club Member (Trial)
Hi Guys,

Cheers for the help last week with the throttlebody. Anyway! Last night I went to the pub quiz which I didn't win. Tried to reverse my micra and it wouldn't go into gear....tried twice getting the grinding sound. The car wouldn't go into any gear and stalled when I tried to force it. Checked under the bonnet and the clutch lever (sorry I don't know the proper name) Seemed to be moving back and forth when the clutch was depressed. I also tried to move the lever by hand and it seemed very stiff.

Got a tow home from a mate but I need my car to get to work! Any Ideas what it might be? There's a local chap who fixes up the family cars but i'm just wondering what it is going to cost as I have just moved house this weekend!

When it rains it pours!

Jim

jimbob101

if you try to start it in 1st gear,clutch down and it lurches forward, its clutch drag ! either the arm is,nt throwing far enough or the friction plate could be breaking up !. replacing the clutch is a g/box off job

frank

I tried a couple of things last night but I had the engine on clutch down and tried to put it in first and it just physically wouldn't go. Both myself and my dad are engineers (in different fields) is there anything I can try myself?

Updated** I think and it's only a thought..that it may be the clutch release bearing. I don't have the cash to pay someone to fix this so I'm going to have to fix it myself so any input from the rest of the board would be much appreciated. I'll keep this thread updated

Ok its raining so not had much luck with doing anything tonight. I have adjusted the clutch cable tension to it's max setting and car still fails to get into gear when engine is on.

jimbob101

i doubt if it,s the release bearing, they usually squeal like mad before they break up ! i have had i friction plate break up, (not micra) giving the same symptoms as yours. a haynes manual is a good investment !
when i did my flywheel i lifted the engine up 18 inches, found it less messy and easier, it,s an option but you might be best to follow what the manual says

Hi Frank,

I bought a haynes manual when I problems with the throttlebody.Ok I have decided that I'm going to replace the clutch myself. According to the haynes manual I have to take out the whole transmission. I don't have a car right now and don't have the money to pay someone to replace the clutch so I dont have much to loose. Any big tips before I start the work?

Jim

ps..can anyone reccomend what clutch kit I need?

hi jimbob101

just follow the haynes and you won,t go wrong ! that friction plate has to be centralised by hand, else the box won,t go back on ! if it was me i would change the plate only, if theres no bad scoring, i have had problems with motor factor clutches wearing out quick, and found a half worn factory one will outlast a copy one by far ! the choise is yours.
credit to you for having a go ! good luck.

frank

Back