Reverse light failure/problem. Help!

Hi all,
I've always used MSC as a place to see what other people are up to with their Micra's and to check out everyones Micra, so only just recently, i've decided to sign up to MSC myself.

I'm posting this thread to see if anyone can help me!?
I've had my Micra (N red 1996, 5dr) for just under 2 years now, and there been the odd problem, which i've fixed. But my recent problem is my reverse light. Before, when in reverse, my light would come on fine. About 3 weeks ago, when i pop it into reverse, there's no light, so i gave the gear stick a wobble, and the light came on. About a week ago, the reverse light stopped working. So i swapped the bulb over wit ha fully working bulb, but still, no light. Still, to this day, my reverse light wont come on, even when i wobble the gear stick or even change the bulb.
I once saw a post on here that there's a switch or clip, that when the gear stick is in reverse, it flicks the switch to turn the reverse light on. Is this true?

I've thought about wiring the reverse light to the cigarette lighter with a toggle switch in between for the time being, but i'd rather fix the main problem and for it to not fail its MOT.

Can anyone shine some light on this issue and guide me into the right direction so i can fix this. My car is up for its MOT in 2 months and don't want it to fail because the reverse light wont come on.

Thanks, John

probably a reverse switch on the gbox, i never personally changed it so i cant help more. sorryBtw i dont think reverse light is an MOT fail. Mine passed without, Also not all car have them.

reverse switch is under the gearbox with the connector going up the the edge of the gearbox.

13543170.jpg

check it hasn't unscrewed loose. test the 2-pin connector terminals with multimeter while someone puts it in reverse/neutral and check it works, if not then replace the switch.

your 1.0 will have a different (big plastic) switch john, which some members have had problems sealing back in after removal

Thank you for your response guys!

I knew there was some kind of switch that activates the light when in reverse. I've just checked with my dad, he told me that a reverse light is not in an MOT, that is only IF there isn't a reverse light on the car. So therefore, the Micra has a designated area for a reverse light, and if the reverse light doesn't work then its an MOT failure because the car has a reverse light spot. Is this true?

I've contacted some scrap yard to see if they can get my a reverse light switch and i will get someone else to fit it for me. I've seen on some Micras, the reverse light is on the drivers side, but on my model, its on the passenger side. Will it be more hassle/expensive to either swap the lights, so there's no reverse light then it will (POSSIBLY) sail through the MOT or just to get someone to replace the switch? I'd much rather get the switch replaced as i like to see with the light when i reverse. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Ive helped mot examiner's flicking lights switches on/off etc but never checked for reverse light. unless its a new procedure. With the reverse switch like frank said, its hard to remove and made of plastic so can easily snap (like mine did)

Back