• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My K11

phil.marsh

Buy & Sell Member
I've done a fair few posts now so I'd thought I'd share my little wonder with the world.
It's pretty basic at the mo but it's yet to be upgraded.

56833905-98b7-b196.jpg

Things I'm doing next are painting the wheels black keeping the hubcaps silver ;)
Hopefully super s bumpers

56833905-9903-bdee.jpg

Almera 1.6 airbox with cold air feed going to bumper and my very unclean rocker cover. Needs a wire brush and a paint. Can I take it off with out exposing any major engine parts?

56833905-9969-64d0.jpg
and the cool air feed :)

What do you think?

Sounds like a plan Phil (Y). Painted rocker covers are the dogs danglies. I did mine matt red, looks pretty sweet. You getting those Super S bumpers soon?

looking good phil (Y)
taking the cam cover off will expose the cams :eek: and dont drive through and deep puddles fwn

Attachments

• SDC12238.JPG
    SDC12238.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 497
looking good phil (Y)
taking the cam cover off will expose the cams :eek: and dont drive through and deep puddles fwn

I had to do mine in situ, as I couldn't get the damn thing off, no matter how hard I tried. Tried pulling it off with brute force and it just moved the whole engine around grr. Turned out alright though, would have just made my job a bit easier lol

I'm hoping to buy them off mullet. I've put dibs on them so fingers crossed :)

Aha, you're getting mullets bumpers? They're in pretty good nick, I have to say. I wanted the seats as well, but the planned work on my K11 seems to have grounded to a depressing halt :glare:

And to be honest I think I'll leave the cover on and mask it off etc :)

If he replys

Yeah, I had to do that with mine. Just stuffed a load of old shirts and towels around the engine bay, tucked a load of newspaper under the gaps between the rocker cover and the engine, and just disconnect all the pipes/wires and stuffed some more rags into the oil filler hole and the spark plugs lol. Bit of a bodge, but came out pretty sweet :grinning:

And hope he does, for your sake. Those bumpers are a very rare find (Y)

That's what I'll do ;)
What colour?? I'm buying paints tomorrow for my wheels so yeah...

I've done mine red, and think it certainly looks the best. Normally comes out matte though, unless you can gat the right sort of paint (I just used a normal rattle can of heat proof spray paint, and used up the whole thing - did the job ok though). Can take a picture for you so you can see what it looks like?

Yeah, because it was already pretty knackered. I've ordered a new stainless steel straight through exhaust system, just wrapped this one for now until I get the new one, purely for cosmetics.

ah right, ive not really seen nyone do it to a mild one, always a stainless. Noticed any diff in engine bay temps?

Yeah, it seems to take a bit longer to get really hot (but when it does get hot, you could probably fry bacon on the rocker cover, but cools down faster as well. Bit faster as well as the entire system is wrapped. Will be wrapping the new system as well (Y)

Ive just painted mine black but ive read that water/moist can settle behind it thus rusty/cracking? could be a load ob bull im just getting some info on it as i like wrapped zoorsts. Now to look for a site that sells it cheap. ima wrap my sportex backbox.

Ive just painted mine black but ive read that water/moist can settle behind it thus rusty/cracking? could be a load ob bull im just getting some info on it as i like wrapped zoorsts. Now to look for a site that sells it cheap. ima wrap my sportex backbox.

If you're going to wrap the exhaust system, it's not worth doing it on the backbox alone. The idea is to stop the heat from disapating as it travels through the exhaust system, thus giving you a bit more power, normally a few extra bhp. It's much better to start off with the manifold, as by the time the heat gets to the backbox, a lot of the power has already been lost early on. Whereas if you wrap the manifold, the heat isn't lost so early on. Wrap the entire system, and pretty much no heat will be lost at all. The best way to wrap it is to do it when it's off the car, of course (Y). A few tips as well:

1. Most important really - make sure the system is cool before you wrap it!
2. Wrap a couple of times extra at each end where you secure it with jubilee clips. Just ensures a nice tight fit.
3. Make sure the wrap is wet when you apply it. Wrap it as tightly as possible, squeezing the excess water out as you go along, making sure each wrap is nice and tight.
4. 50% overlap or more, as this ensures the wrap is working to the best potential. Ideally, 75% works best (this is what I've done on mine, needed about 3 rolls to finish it!).
5. Lay a cover over the area where you're wrapping it, and wear scruffy clothes, gloves, goggles, and maybe a mask of some sort - the water you squeeze off comes out a horrible black and filled with fibres, which can be really hard to eradicate, and the dry fibre flakes are pretty nasty as well.
6. When you've finished wrapping and the exhaust is back on the car, take it for a longish drive. As the exhaust system heats up, it allows the wrap to cure, shrinking it slightly as well as the water dries up, thus ensuring an even tighter fit. Just make sure you have the windows open, as when the wrap cures on the manifold, the fumes will be coming straight into the car. Again, not pleasant. If you want, you can just run the car up to temperature while it's standing still, if you don't mind wasting fuel.

You will see noticable power gains if the entire system is wrapped. Just make sure you have enough wrap to complete the whole thing, and use proper jubilee clips instead of the rubbish metal cable ties the wraps are normally supplied with. Never really had any problems with the exhaust rusting or cracking (the system on my old BMW was wrapped, and that was mild steel - didn't rust at all in the 14 months I had the car, and upped the bhp from 100 to 105). Someone else on here might have had experience of this happening though, so I could be wrong. Just worth asking around, and trying to find the best deal for the wrap. I'll try see if I can find the site I bought mine from, only cost me £10 per roll, and it can withstand temperatures of up to 800C :grinning:

Hope this helps (Y)

na i wasnt going to do the bb alone. Cheers dan! nice post. (Y)

I should be fitting my new system soon, and I plan on putting up a tutorial of how to wrap an exhaust system when I do it, just to help out a bit. So keep an eye out (Y)

agree dan, i think some people read my posts the wrong way. Im just a honest lad. no beef with anyone on here, im just here to make new mates if you like and increase my knowledge on Micras! again sorry for the hi-jack.

agree dan, i think some people read my posts the wrong way. Im just a honest lad. no beef with anyone on here, im just here to make new mates if you like and increase my knowledge on Micras! again sorry for the hi-jack.

I think that's mainly why everyone is here. To share their love of cars in general, Micras in particular, make new friends, and to share and gain knowledge. That's what the car and forum world is all about, I think

I think that's mainly why everyone is here. To share their love of cars in general, Micras in particular, make new friends, and to share and gain knowledge. That's what the car and forum world is all about, I think

yeah i know but some people sign just to mock people and stuff. some folk may think im one of them. :blues:

i love mine tbh, didnt think id say it when i bought it.

yeah i know but some people sign just to mock people and stuff. some folk may think im one of them. :blues:

i love mine tbh, didnt think id say it when i bought it.

Nah, it's better to speak your mind (but just be a bit careful about how you go about doing it lol). Plus I was the same with my K11. Hated the damn thing from the moment I bought it. But now, I love it, and don't want to get rid of it. But I know I will have to at some point, probably at the end of the year when everything runs out and I can afford to buy a BMW. Another Micra project in the future (Y)

Nah, it's better to speak your mind (but just be a bit careful about how you go about doing it lol). Plus I was the same with my K11. Hated the damn thing from the moment I bought it. But now, I love it, and don't want to get rid of it. But I know I will have to at some point, probably at the end of the year when everything runs out and I can afford to buy a BMW. Another Micra project in the future (Y)

Your going from one of the most reliable cars ever made to a BMW.... You will spend more time under the car than in it! :laugh:

Your going from one of the most reliable cars ever made to a BMW.... You will spend more time under the car than in it! :laugh:

Maybe. I just really want one, and the way my K11 is going, it'll probably last a lot longer lol. Plus I can get a 325Ci with about 200bhp for £3000, and it costs me £400 per year less to insure than my Micra (Y)

aha aye.

Im after a ctr next so im keeping this til i can get a decent one. even if its 1-3yrs il wait.

aha aye.

Im after a ctr next so im keeping this til i can get a decent one. even if its 1-3yrs il wait.

Yeah, I want to have a fast, decent, cool everyday car (hence the want for a BMW), then get an SR or Super S that I can build into a track or drag car when I've got some more money and better storage space (both my garages are full of cars and bikes at the moment - something which doesn't really fly with Mrs Dan)

Yeah, I want to have a fast, decent, cool everyday car (hence the want for a BMW), then get an SR or Super S that I can build into a track or drag car when I've got some more money and better storage space (both my garages are full of cars and bikes at the moment - something which doesn't really fly with Mrs Dan)

aha, i just want the one car, if a micra came up at the time with a nice spec id have it.

aha, i just want the one car, if a micra came up at the time with a nice spec id have it.

I think I'll always want 2 cars. I did before, but couldn't afford it at the time. Whereas now I've got my K11, my missus' Fiesta (which is currently in pieces), and my motorbikes (an SV650 streetfighter, a KTM Duke 690, and a crash damaged Yamaha R6 which I was putting back together, until it threw a rod through the cylinder head and the bottom of the fuel tank grr)

i dont buy the heatwrap theory personally fwn you dont see it on an F1, formula ford etc and they glow red hot, but if you,re running with a cone filter on the t/b and sucking in all that enginebay heat :eek:, then wrapping the mani probably helps

i dont buy the heatwrap theory personally fwn you dont see it on an F1, formula ford etc and they glow red hot, but if you,re running with a cone filter on the t/b and sucking in all that enginbay heat :eek:, then wrapping the mani probably helps

I've seen a lot of gains from the whole setup. I think that if you have a standard airbox, wrapping the exhaust system won't help. But with a cone filter and all my other little mods, I do see a huge difference

If your gonna buy heatwrap then dont buy cheap stuff. some real horror stories of cracked manifolds.

Thought about ceramic coating?

If your gonna buy heatwrap then dont buy cheap stuff. some real horror stories of cracked manifolds.

Thought about ceramic coating?

The stuff I used isn't normally cheap, I just got it at trade price with an extra discount because I know the guy who runs the company. And I've seen cracked manifolds, so I know what the cheap stuff does. Plus at the time, ceramic coating was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range :(

I've seen a lot of gains from the whole setup. I think that if you have a standard airbox, wrapping the exhaust system won't help. But with a cone filter and all my other little mods, I do see a huge difference

fair enough dan :)
i just dont see how retaining the heat in the exhaust system actually propels the car faster fwn hot gasses expand so you,re cramming more gas through the exhaust system surely ? and would need a bigger exhaust to compensate
maybe its a discussion for another thread and we should stop jacking phil,s blog :wasntme:

What frank says :p :) spoilers getting posted at 2 mate in the car with me been called in for work but finish then and I pass the PO sorry for hijack it will be with ya soon

Yeah, sorry for hi-jacking your thread Phil. Hope the parts come through soon and you get them fitted alright (Y)

Back