Made a bit of progress today :)
1432403683103.jpg
1432403707207.jpg
1432403727125.jpg

Spent the day pottering around :)
1432403786823.jpg
1432403804633.jpg
1432403841407.jpg

Engine and gear box is all disconnected apart from drive shafts :) now just need a hoist :)
Got distracted...
1432403992745.jpg

Found a hole in the floor pan... Painted black temporarily until I get her driving.... Stooopid Mildred -.-

Eurghhh the scuzzy ness at the bottom of the expansion tank now it's settled :(

Took the top of the new (old) engine to see condition :)
1432404094133.jpg

Nice and clean :)
Obligatory stuck bolt -.-
1432404143676.jpg

Tom very kindly removed it for me :)

Feeling like I'm starting to make a dent :) x

Seems that way so far :) I shall be pulling the sump of when I acquire some man strength to lift it higher as its still full of oil :) and poking around abit more :) but hey! Either way it is in better condition than the current one :) xx

Update time!
1432748900469.jpg

(excuse the lack of makeup and need of shower)
Engine Is out!
No hoist... But made do with an Old seat belt :)
1432749006778.jpg

Good oll' tom! :)
Found a possible cause for the head gasket failer...
1432749131570.jpg

Meh I dunno... Crank seal was also leaking...
1432749173884.jpg

Had a check of the water pump... Also not great
1432749889489.jpg

Pulled the old clutch out...
1432749224286.jpg

Not much left on it and popped a nice new one In along with pressure plate and release bearing
1432749270065.jpg

Cleaned up the engine and the gear box :)
1432749675978.jpg

1432749736216.jpg

Next decreased the engine bay... Prepped and primerd it :)
1432749795401.jpg

1432749818962.jpg

Then a lick of paint :)
1432749973264.jpg

And then reusing the seat belt.... It's in!!!!!! :D
1432750483504.jpg

Bit of a pain in the bottom to line up the mounts.... Okay massive pain... With no hoist however eventually got all the bolts in....
Everything reconnected.... Then it was time to turn the key! ...... Very nervous.... And!!!! Battery was dead :L along came Millie to help her older sister out :)
1432750641791.jpg

Primed the fuel again...
AND.... Yes!!!!! She started..... First turn of the key!!!!!
Ran for about 7 secs and cut out....
Tried again... Started once again first time... About 10 seconds then cut out....
She sits at about 900rpm... However sounds like shes about to take off... Like a really fast idle...
I have spark on all four (for a nice change) and fuel on all four...
She just can't keep herself going.... She will if I hold the throttle but she sounds rough....
Starts every time... No hesitation just like I say cant keep herself going.... Any ideas anyone?
X

Nice progress :)
I'd have though the problem must be with the fueling, throttle body is the common issue but it's not hesitating which is odd? Not a clue

On another note, what did you clean/paint your engine up with? Looks lush

Now trying to upload a video :)
Throttle body ran spot on before I pulled it of the old engine :(

Engine degreaser, fairy liquid, a wire brush some sand paper and High temperature paint :) x

normally when stone cold it should fast idle bout 1300rpm and warm 82C idle at 750rpm.
sounds like the cold idle of 900rpm just after cranking is abit too low, then the IACV closes itself after few sec as normal which causes her to stall.
but the roughness from holding throttle is a concern, should be purring.

what u doing this saturday cos I'll be driving down to santapod on the day and if I can afford the extra 2hrs distance of fuel and u want me to, I could take a detour stop over to ur place to help out either before or after santapod? personally for you guys I'd say before santapod cos this is more important :p

Last edited:
It hits 1300 then very quickly drops to 900

Unfortunately I am working this weekend but Tom should be here :)

Now trying to upload a video :) x

btw absolutely no excuse for makeup cos even without makeup in that shot u look fab :D
natural beauty ftw girls eh.

and good thing the internet doesn't have smell'vision...yet

Ooo I'm of Friday though :) xxx

Hmm ok possible change of my schedule, remember u say I could stay over one time?
I'm picking up my new red seats in newcastle friday night.
what if I fit my new seats at home bout 7pm,
set off down to urs over a 4hr drive till 11pm,
fix ur idle at night/next morning, stay over,
then I pop over to santapod afterwards?

Hmm ok possible change of my schedule, remember u say I could stay over one time?
I'm picking up my new red seats in newcastle friday night.
what if I fit my new seats at home bout 7pm,
set off down to urs over a 4hr drive till 11pm,
fix ur idle at night/next morning, stay over,
then I pop over to santapod afterwards?
You are always welcome :) only problem is I have a 14 1/2 hour shift Saturday and will be asleep at 11.... Damn it :( if only it was next weekend :L x

You are always welcome :) only problem is I have a 14 1/2 hour shift Saturday and will be asleep at 11.... Damn it :( if only it was next weekend :L x

ah bumma, well if it ain't fixed my friday and ain't urgent, I could pop by sat morning bout lunchtime to lend tom a hand fixing it before going to santapod.

Oooo try it now :) x

k see it. Hmm it cold fast idles alright but the IACV closes too much too early as though the ecu thinks it's warm idling. (coolant sensor resistance too low or shorted?)
is the coolant sensor the same one in the old block, working within resistance spec and plugged in?

I transferred the sensors from the old engine into this one and it is plugged in :)

clean IACV, delete the old waxstat cam thing, check neutral switch is plugged in, open the bleed screw to raise the base idle to stop it stalling much like holding the throttle.

it's the revs dropping quickly & early which is wierd. it should just keep a high idle when the ECU see's it's still cold.

btw when priming fuel, the ECU has a 4sec cutoff timer, cuts fuel pump if IGN has been on over 4sec without running.
to keep priming u turn off ign for 4sec, the fuel relay in the bay clicks Off then u can reprime fuel again.

Neutral switch? Waxstat has gone :) and bleed screw? Presume thats the one on the throttle body to adjust the idle :) x

gearbox neutral switch located under the rear of gearbox and the loom connector is at the upper rear just above the LH driveshaft.
this switch tells ECU if ur in gear. whenever u select any gear and below 5mph, the ecu tells the IACV to close abit & dips the rev for some reason. if it ain't connected, the ecu might think ur in gear and dips the idle.

the idle bleed screw is at the rear left (looking from the front) of the TB to control the about of bleed air, thus the base idle. it's best to fine tune it once warm but u can open it for now to just raise the cold idle & prevent it stalling.
once warmed up, the dizzy timing, IACV & idle screw can then be finally tuned proper.

Yeap I definitely connected two connector blocks to the gear box :) and a small one which I then earthed to the body :)

Right I shall have a fettle with that screw :) strange though as I didn't touch the throttle body litteraly just removed it

I was thinking maybe a vacuum leak but not sure as it starts everytime :/ x

ah bumma, well if it ain't fixed my friday and ain't urgent, I could pop by sat morning bout lunchtime to lend tom a hand fixing it before going to santapod.

Hmm perhaps after santapod is better timing for me, I could then enjoy 1-5pm of the show, then by 7pm onwards arrive & fix Mildred all night with tea without rushing around :D
That ok tom?

Back