• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Mildred the Micra

And...... There on ;)
1434998462630.jpg
1434998443216.jpg

X

phwoa chloe, she's got some sexy heels on now :cool: you two girls going on a special night out like? :p

that's a ton of offset, bit concerned of the tyres hitting the arch lip within the suspensions travel range. careful of any big bumps

I wish I had shoes that nice :p yes it is a bit :L however I have upped the preload a tad so far so good :) there's about 2mm between wheel and arch :/ will see how it goes :) if not I'll Jack it up a bit :) xx

I know we're currently talking on FB but I wanted to say again just how much I love those wheels.

They are lovely!
Arches going to be rolled soon?
Thanks huggy :) yeah they will be just wanted to get the right height first and re-align the panhard rod... Not driving it like this...
I've pulled the arches out a tad... Will be rolling them once I'm happy with the height and what not :) x

I wish I had shoes that nice :p yes it is a bit :L however I have upped the preload a tad so far so good :) there's about 2mm between wheel and arch :/ will see how it goes :) if not I'll Jack it up a bit :) xx

2mm is not alot of room. is the rear spacered out cos I remember the rear track is normally narrower than the front?

increasing the ride height/arch gap still doesn't eliminate the danger of striking the arch.
think the main issue here is the increased wheel width and/or high -ve offset causing the tyre to far exceed and become way too close to the arches.

imo we have a compromising situation here between preferred ride height, poke, ride quality, potential damage/hazard.
suspension stuff has a huge array of variables to consider and I could write at least 16 different combinations of compromises but that'll prob bore ppl :p
andyh701, I suppose this is why I'll have to one day create a 3D virtual wheel & suspension fitting app that we once talked about eh?

to keep potential damage of the tyres and arches to a minimum I'd say:
add solid "packers" between the bumpstop & strut top, this ensures the bump stops prevent the damper body/wheel/tyres from travelling any further up just before it hits the arch,
cut and/or extend out the original arch to clear the tyres range of travel,
replace or mod the wheels with a higher +ve offset if possible so the outer rim is closer inward to the hub face to clear the original arch and yet not too far that the inner tyre rubs on the chassis at full lock

Thanks Paul :)
There's no spacers on the rear...
I shall be rolling the arches to miss the tyre :)

That software sounds amazing :)

I'm using Andy's coil overs so there isn't much suspension travel :) the ride height will be coming up.... But I had to get a picture.. Would be rude to not :p... still needs a lot of playing with but I shan't be driving it till I'm completely happy don't worry Paul :) it's nearing undrivable at the minute so will play more either today or tomorrow :).xx

But it looks so good at the moment!

You'll learn to love the stanced life, what with being scared to drive your car over pebbles :p
Pebbles.... I'm scared to drive over leaves :L it would stay like that if the roads hear were remotely flat :L it's not even slightly worth it... But she'll still be slightly "stanced" :) xx

Looking good!

Go to work on those arches, the front should stretch on the mountings and gain some width, or space the lower mounting bolts.

This "will they fit" shows a comparison with my wheels:
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...iameter2=13&wheelwidth2=8&offset2=+12#content

DSCF0773.jpg

You can also use some camber to keep the fronts in. Rears will be trickier, just keep yer fingers crossed that the rear quarter doesn't start to collapse as you stretch the arch!

Thanks Mark :) oooo yeah I Forgot about that site :L yeah I shall be :) borrowing a arch roller
I've literally at the moment only sat on the floor with my feet on the wheels and pulled the arches :L
Slow and steady ehh :) will see how I get on :)
Front dosnt need too much need to sort the panhard rod out but I shall see :) xx

Just followed the link Not much in it :) I have a tad more hope for the rear now :D just need to bring the back end down some more :) x

Interesting day to say the least.....

Picked up a arch roller from a lovely chap to borrow :)
1435166627010.jpg

Rolled all the arches using a hair dryer to heat the paint.. Really chuffed... Slightly cracked the paint on the rear arches on the inside lip but ive touched that up and you can't really see it :)
Brought the ride height up by about an inch as even though it may look cool... The wish bones were practically on the floor.... Fixed my exhaust with and old rubber hanger and some cable ties :) no more banging on the anti roll bar now! ;)
Also I now have a working clock in my car :)

No pictures as today hasn't been brilliant....

Soo to check if I had got the ride height correct I took the car for a quick drive....
Going 50 along the main road, all of a sudden an almighty bang, the car tips towards the passenger side and I loose control of the back end... Started going towards a water drainage hole so whipped the steering round... Pulled it to fast and ended up on the bank the other side.... The guy coming towards, instead of stopping, decided it would be far better to shout and call me ever name under the sun... Even though he saw me loose control...
Immediately I did the correct thing..... Yes! I phoned Tom in complete hysterics and he came to save me.. Thank god for Tom as he sorted out Break down and trailering as I was a bit all over the place :(
Got home unloaded her and had a cup of coffee... Then ventured out side to inspect her after I'd calmed down....
Back passenger side had collapsed... So jacked up the back end... Panhard rod is in a slight banana shape and then found my rear coilover had snapped
1435168732536.jpg

Not a fun day but a major thanks to Tom (and Gary the recovery man... Who complemented my car)
X

Wow.
Glad you got out of that ok, could have been a lot worse!
So it was the coilover itself that failed? That's awful
I'm OK... Would have been lost without Tom :( ... Still abit shook up but tom ran me a bath and did a Ben and Jerry's run :) he's to good to me :p
Yes it was :( luckily when it snapped it slipped inside the spring cup not the other side and I think going up the bank just knock it through the hole so fingers crossed all Is OK ...My alloy looks OK can't see any visible damage just hope its not buckled it :(
Re-attached the back bumper
From what I can see underside looks OK x

I'm OK... Would have been lost without Tom :( ... Still abit shook up but tom ran me a bath and did a Ben and Jerry's run :) he's to good to me :p
Yes it was :( luckily when it snapped it slipped inside the spring cup not the other side and I think going up the bank just knock it through the hole so fingers crossed all Is OK ...My alloy looks OK can't see any visible damage just hope its not buckled it :(
Re-attached the back bumper
From what I can see underside looks OK x

Lucky to say the least :p

Oh well means you can just buy some new parts! Haha

that guys probably gone crazy knowing you could have been killed I'm afraid.
abuse the crap out of the corsa b coils I had fitted with frank never had this catastrophic failure and sold them on to rob with turbo k11 (even more stress tension) only top mount tap noise I had.
happy you all ok:)

holy crappa chloe :eek: that's a really serious suspension failure.
sending u lots of hugs n icecream.

jeez christ I'd need new pants if mine did that, thank gawd ur safe.
seriously before venturing out again, it's essential we find what exactly caused this major failure. whether it's a manufacture and/or design error or if that broken stop has been modified before. contact andy bout it, twas from him yea?

can't see clearly enough but it appears to be fatigued from the weld. the thickness maybe insufficient and the design of welding a round bush collar with a small weld footprint under the strut mount with little bracing plus applying huge stress of supporting the cars weight is asking for trouble.

imo I'd at least get that critical area where the collar joins the strut reinforced with bracing plates front & rear to stop any fatigue flexing.

@pollyp they are going in the bin! Stupid design if you ask me! But I've always thought that...
No chance in hell am I having her in that danger again!
She was lucky this time thank God!

holy crappa chloe :eek: that's a really serious suspension failure.
sending u lots of hugs n icecream.

jeez christ I'd need new pants if mine did that, thank gawd ur safe.
seriously before venturing out again, it's essential we find what exactly caused this major failure. whether it's a manufacture and/or design error or if that broken stop has been modified before. contact andy bout it, twas from him yea?

can't see clearly enough but it appears to be fatigued from the weld. the thickness maybe insufficient and the design of welding a round bush collar with a small weld footprint under the strut mount with little bracing plus applying huge stress of supporting the cars weight is asking for trouble.

imo I'd at least get that critical area where the collar joins the strut reinforced with bracing plates front & rear to stop any fatigue flexing.
Thank-you Paul :) I have eaten my body weight in ice cream :)
I shan't be using the same rears again... Spoke too Andy he's sending the corsa rear set up out tomorrow for me...

Very very nearly needed new pants :(

God oll St Christopers in the car, did it's job x

there,s no angled "give" in the nylon bush maybe ? especially if archrolled against
I didn't have to roll the rears all that much really so not much pressure was put through only on the inner lip of the arch....
I must of drove 7-8 miles on it before the almighty bang... :( Id have noticed if not when lowering the car down :( xx

Thank-you Paul :) I have eaten my body weight in ice cream :)
I shan't be using the same rears again... Spoke too Andy he's sending the corsa rear set up out tomorrow for me...

Very very nearly needed new pants :(

God oll St Christopers in the car, did it's job x

think I'll go grab myself some icecream in my fridge n join ya, making me peckish :p

I hope the corsa rear is a more sound n reliable strut when it arrives.

was thinking the moment was like this @2:50 :D

Back