K11 Top Speed?

Well, for what it's worth .... I would NOT like to take the wifes Micra K11 1.0litre over 70MPH .... it's just not built for speeds much beyond that.

I first travelled in excess of 100MPH in about 1970 - yes, I am that old!! It was in a Ford Cortina MK2 and it was scary!

The fastest I have ever travelled was in my Calibra at an indicated speed in excess of 140MPH ... that was scary too!

I now own an Impreza Turbo which is capable of frightening Acceleration and Top Speed - I have never opened her up fully and don't intend to .... the thrill of 0-60MPH in 5 Seconds is quite enough excitement at my age!

There are clearly some well sorted Micras that are equipped for high speeds!

I agree with you.....I have a well spec'd 1.3 K11 and a totally standard 1.0 K11. The 1.0 is extremely unstable at speed and quite twitchy with cross winds. The 1.3 K11 is the complete opposite......stable as a rock and not a single wobble or vibration.

sounds like a k11, do you know the model? yep get the new tyres on ASAP they make a world of difference. i'm pretty sure there are no 1.1 engines made by nissan... i could be wrong..

K10s had 1.0, 1.2
K11s had 1.0, 1.3, 1.4
K12s have 1.0 1.2 1.6

there may have been some odd diesel ones....

Sorry mate not sure of the model, wil get new front tyres this week i think badly needs them will stop it feeling funny :p. It must be a 1l then i think not a 1.1 like i thaught, as for the shaking i guess 80 is fast for a car of that age and a 1.1. Im looking at some 1.3s atm but can't really find any :p

i have being a passenger in a sierra cosworth that did 160mph! was very scary!!! especially when the car went over dips in the road and it was floating around i was holding on thinking ****

and i was a passenger in a duke 1000bhp skyline that did 0-100 in a few seconds!!

mine only does 93!? what the hells wrong with it?

Nothing. The advertised book speed is 93mph and for the age of the car and the mileage, I would say that's very good. Don't worry yourself with the usual top speed forum hype ;)

I've owned both 1.0 and 1.3 K11's and, as standard, they have been very close to the book speeds stated by Nissan measured on a GPS.

Ha ha yes it does go faster down hill.where do I get a cone filter from and how much. And also any over ideas on the acceleration
Ebay or Amazon, I paid £8 for mine, gives a decent mid range response.
Other than that buddy, you're down to a turbo for oomph
emoji594.png

Would not think so...but you would not be far off it.
Would it be safe - for who - you or the car (?)
Of yourse for the car, I mean for engine health. I dont have rev counter so i dont know if is it so bad to reach top speed in 4th gear, how much it revs for example at 130 km/h in 4th gear ?

Of yourse for the car, I mean for engine health. I dont have rev counter so i dont know if is it so bad to reach top speed in 4th gear, how much it revs for example at 130 km/h in 4th gear ?
I'd be guessing at around 6K+ rpm, she would be screaming at you by then though.

was pretty quiet on the bypass going to work this morning so gave it a little go, 120km/h was at just under 4k rpm in 4th on my 1ltr, could still go a bit higher, was at 3.5k in 5th

was pretty quiet on the bypass going to work this morning so gave it a little go, 120km/h was at just under 4k rpm in 4th on my 1ltr, could still go a bit higher, was at 3.5k in 5th
Surprised at that :eek: but it is only 75 mph - so my guesstimate is a bit out :rolleyes:
Nice one though - good info there buddy.

Been up to 100 mph in my 1.4 - just to try it......not a lot after that...and starts to flatten out when trying to improve on it.
A quick-ish car at street level - but no motorway cruiser, OK at 75/80...not advised after that.
Impressive little sods though.
Just bought a 1.3 Suzuki wagonr......this is a hidden gem as well - trust me....a little rocket at city level (91 bhp)

I've had just under 100mph out of ours 1.3 CVT (had to slow down due to traffic ahead). It was a while ago though but it didn't seem too much effort. I don't drive it that hard now though in deference to its age & Sophie saying "slow down you'll hurt him" :rolleyes:
Dunno about others but ours goes a bit front end light & twitchy feeling at 70mph but at 75mph+ it seems to come back down again & feel quite stable. I often wondered if the factory fitted bib spoiler on the tailgate top has some influence on the front end going light?

Quickest I've ever been was in a Nissan Silvia turbo on the M4
Pulling 145mph with 500 rpm left to the red line........sod that...wouldn't ever do it again.
Front end was like on air and about to take off....I was a lot younger then, and an awful lot less traffic around than today.
Regularly pulled 130 mph in my V12 Jags, but they are so heavy - they used to just sit there rock solid.
NO - I don't recommend these speeds to anyone today - just way to much traffic out there now.

Pulling 145mph with 500 rpm left to the red line........sod that...wouldn't ever do it again.
Front end was like on air and about to take off....I was a lot younger then, and an awful lot less traffic around than today.
Regularly pulled 130 mph in my V12 Jags, but they are so heavy - they used to just sit there rock solid.
NO - I don't recommend these speeds to anyone today - just way to much traffic out there now.

Jags are so smooth, you can pull 140mph in an E-Type with your old man casually reading a copy of the FT in the passenger seat completely oblivious ;)

Jags are so smooth, you can pull 140mph in an E-Type with your old man casually reading a copy of the FT in the passenger seat completely oblivious ;)
My first V12 (unrestricted) could accelerate from 100 mph as if it was in first gear, slight rumble from the engine, slight lift on the bonnet, and boom...you were cruising at 130+ loved the thing.
Second one (restricted) not like the first one - good - but not as good.
Went to a V8 4.0 after that ....lovely thing - great engine and 17 mpg from that one, much better than the 12/13 mpg from the big girls....lol

Quote; "NO - I don't recommend these speeds to anyone today - just way to much traffic out there now".

I have forgotten what fifth gear is for, never mind top speed? Come and try Exeter, otherwise known as traffic light central, with lights at almost every junction and speed ramps everywhere. It now takes 45 minutes to travel 5 miles across traffic light central, that is 7 ½ mph. Quicker by bicycle.

Top speed is stop, go, accelerate stop-go accelerate and has become normal producing maximum air pollution from constant idling stopping and accelerating in traffic jams created by lights and speed calming roadway obstacles courtesy of Devon county and Exeter city council misguided thinking and mismanagement.

Take me back to the future with our rose tinted spectacles, 1973 when I started driving when there were a fifth of the vehicles on the road that there are now. Was it better in our day?

The thing is even a modest (albeit great ;)) little car like a K11 is light years ahead of the "bread & butter" saloons of a the 60's & 70's. I had a Ford Anglia 105e many years ago & it was soooooo slow in comparison to the Micra. Traffic hold ups didn't matter with the Ang' as by the time you actually reached it the obstruction had cleared :rolleyes::D

The thing is even a modest (albeit great ;)) little car like a K11 is light years ahead of the "bread & butter" saloons of a the 60's & 70's. I had a Ford Anglia 105e many years ago & it was soooooo slow in comparison to the Micra. Traffic hold ups didn't matter with the Ang' as by the time you actually reached it the obstruction had cleared :rolleyes::D

Legendary Kent Engine 105e
I remember them well, my 105e and 123e 1200cc were flyers on the open roads of the era with a little tweaking, although now overlooked without good reason. The Kent engine could put a smile on anybody’s face. Enjoy!

Reference: https://thegaragista.com/2013/06/23/the-ford-kent-engine-four-cylinder-domination-since-1959/
:);)

Legendary Kent Engine 105e
I remember them well, my 105e and 123e 1200cc were flyers on the open roads of the era with a little tweaking, although now overlooked without good reason. The Kent engine could put a smile on anybody’s face. Enjoy!

Reference: https://thegaragista.com/2013/06/23/the-ford-kent-engine-four-cylinder-domination-since-1959/
:);)

Oh yes don't get me wrong you could tune them like nobody's business & the Kent was/is a great engine. The way they competed in saloon car racing etc was very very impressive (I've seen them at Oulton Park & they give Lotus Cortina's a run for their money). Mine however was a bog standard 997cc & whilst it was rev happy it didn't actually move that fast 75mph top & 0-60 in around 28seconds were the road test figures :eek:

I owned a 1600E Cortina beautiful car no electronics easy to fix if it broke down on the side of the road not like our modern car's including Micra's which have to be plugged into a PC which costs around fifty euros just to find out what is wrong with it and then you pay for repair give me a 1970 classic any time.After saying all that I do like my little Nissan Micra 1000 year of car 2000.My last car was a Volvo 2.5 diesel the power and speed just fantastic.But again it had to be plugged in if it broke down ahhhh the pain in the wallet.

Sent from my B1-820 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I owned a 1600E Cortina beautiful car no electronics easy to fix if it broke down on the side of the road not like our modern car's including Micra's which have to be plugged into a PC which costs around fifty euros just to find out what is wrong with it and then you pay for repair give me a 1970 classic any time.After saying all that I do like my little Nissan Micra 1000 year of car 2000.My last car was a Volvo 2.5 diesel the power and speed just fantastic.But again it had to be plugged in if it broke down ahhhh the pain in the wallet.

Sent from my B1-820 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

here's a good youtube video discussing this "analog vs digital" topic

here's a good youtube video discussing this "analog vs digital" topic

Where is the Beef of Digital and Analogue ?

ETCG1 comparing analogue and digital automotive controls omitted to consider overall whole life societal costs and the salient paradigm polemics hidden within the two durable products.

Digital consumer durables cede control and ownership creating a captive market to oligopoly suppliers, rendering customers role to that of a controlled cash cow to be milked for maintenance fault finding and repairs throughout the life of the product.

To limit hacking the digital programming keys are tightly controlled creating a captive market handing all the cards to big business to exploit at maximum possible prices for servicing and repairs and ultimately facilitating the dominant automakers emissions scandal and fraud perpetrated for years undetected across the world.

An unnecessarily polluted environment by the emissions scandal the price of digital controls and millions of vehicles prematurely scrapped due to exorbitant digital repair costs facilitated by the oligopoly controlled digital captive market. A digital electronics packed vehicle is rendered beyond economic repair at approximately 7 to 8 years old when any of its complex digital interconnected electronic systems fail such as immobiliser, ABS, electronic stability control, traction control, electronic power steering, multiple airbags controls, and central locking controls to name but a few exemplified by K12 and K13 owners experiences.

Controlling the scrapping of vehicles prematurely in its useful life in order to sell more new vehicles to maximise big business profits and shareholder returns moneymaking strategy simply creates more pollution and overall societal costs than is necessary? That is the beef!

Quote;K12 ~ "Not much rear seat room and luggage room. Difficult to get into back of 3-door. Electrics can fail. Expensive faults especially with ABS. Serious failures can render it scrap after 7-10 years".

Reference;http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k12-2003/

Reference; http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k12-2003/?section=good

Last edited:
Recorded on my GPS speed camera detector, 135 mph going under the bridge at the end of the Dottinger Hohe straight.
The down side is my car now seems to be destroying speedo-drives ...... Or perhaps this is just a coincidence that I've gone
way past the end of the 120 mph speedo ?

Micra%20at%20the%20Ring%202%20Karosel_zpsmuvrktnw.jpg

Last edited:
Back