thinking about buying a K11.

hey!
New member here.
last year me and my girlfriend bought a 1989 K10 micra, it is our first car, got it cheap and the only previous owner was an old lady, so it had only gone 63000 km (39146 miles i guess?). We are very happy with it and even drove with it from sweden where we live down to croatia to spend the summer.

Now we´re thinking about buying a K11, we have found a nice one from 1999 that also just have one owner, an old lady, it has also gone about 39000 miles. But its a 1.0 K11, we where hoping for a 1,3 but the ones we´ve found are in worse condition and have been driven alot farther.

The main problem with the K10 we have is (apart from being 18 years..) its not fast enough.. we drove through autobahn in germany at speed from 100 km/h to 120 km/h (thats 62-75 mph) (at a slope downwards we managed to get it up to 140kmh (86mph), but it sounded like it would explode then.. :)

I have read about the K10 1.0 and some say it can only go to about 100 km/h (60mph)then it just cant be pushed anymore.. but some says its no problem to go as fast as 150-160 kmh (93-99mph).

so what we are looking for is a car that can "cruise" at around 120-130 (74-80mph). Because the speeds on autobahn usually are that, especially around bigger towns.. last year we had to go in the slow lane with all the big slow trucks.. not fun..

should we go with the nice 1999 1.0 or look for a 1.3?

thanks! (sorry for my english, in swedish :))

hi ya, welcome to the club :D

get the 1.0 :D check the sills are good cos thats the main thing...

then get a 1.3 engine and drop that in :D

my k11 will do 90mph easily, and cruises nicely.. but it will do 120mph when pushed...

thank you for the answer.
but I´m a totally newbie to fixing cars :) swapping a engine sounds like a lot of work (and not something I can do :)).
You meant a 1.3 right? that can do 90 easily? or a 1.0?

check the sills? what are the sills exactly? sorry for my english :)

A 1.3 will cruise very comfortably at 80-90mph, the sills are the bodywork sections between the front and rear wheels below the bottom of the doors, they have a really nasty tendancy to rust quite badly.

And dont apologise for your English, its probably better than mine.

thank you for the answer.
but I´m a totally newbie to fixing cars :) swapping a engine sounds like a lot of work (and not something I can do :)).
You meant a 1.3 right? that can do 90 easily? or a 1.0?

check the sills? what are the sills exactly? sorry for my english :)

lol your english is better than most english people ;)

fair enough, the engine swap is easy, you could ask a garage how much they would charge to do it for you.

yea the 1.3 will do 90 easily. the 1.0 will do 90 too but it struggles.

like sonic said, the bodywork between the wheels...

basically rust is your enemy, you have to check to see if there is rust anywhere on the car, because its a common flaw and costs alot to fix... other than that you should be fine

thank you very much for the tips. Gonna go and try some cars tomorrow.
have two micras (1999), one fiesta (2000) and one mitsubishi colt (1999). thats interesting.

we went with the colt. I liked the micra alot, but my girlfriend liked the colt more, and it seem to be a better car for long journeys, so I will get used to it. I have a soft spot for small, cute cars :)
I might buy a micra to have for my self, or even keep our 1989 k10 :)
thanks for the advice anyway.

Back