Initial car modifications to get more BHP?

Hi,

I drive a K11, anyone who said hi when i first signed up will know its a 98 twister.

Anyway after a discussion the other week about reputable engine dealers I have decided to go ahead and source my own 1.3l and with the help of my kind farther, strip it down re-build it (mainly as a learning exercise, but also to make sure everything is hunky-doorey) and then stick it n our selves. So that will be my first modification if you will.

What I would like to know is, what are the base modifications any of you would do, say when you first get a K11? So for example, new engine?, turbo?, suspension?, better breaks? exhaust system? What are the things to do, to get the most horse power initially, then after that the smaller things to add later on that add that little extra 5/10 BHP

I do apologise if this has been brought up before, i.e. someone asking for a list of things to do sort of thing, however I did do some searchers and the info wasn't showing up if it is there.

Any help would be great, it will give me an idea of where i'm going with my car project and how much cash i need to be saving and putting to one side, cheers all!

Ben. x

the inlet cam and lightened flwheel was the most effective money i spent ben ( £150 ish), and the 50mm drop and negative camber on the front made it handle :)

I'd say the biggest effect i found are:

janspeed manifold £200 - gave a big boost especially above 4k

modify the stock airbox for a bigger cold air intake - engine breathes easier and helps at high revs

JUN ultralight flywheel £450 - amazing transformation, it revs like a motorbike and more of the available power is used to move the car rather than a heavy flywheel = more acceleration

Whiteline front & rear swaybar £220 - compared to the wobbly stock bars, the stiffer whiteline bars makes it corner like a go-kart :)

Apex 35mm lowering springs & Bilstein B4 dampers £250 - further improves handling. fitting it after the whiteline swaybars, i found it mostly lessoned the pitch & dive better whilst the swaybars lessoned the erm, sway.

Thanks for the recommendations, those things sound quite affordable, when i get the 1.3l engine sorted out and ready to put in hopefully i can do a few of those things at the same time, new exhaust system and flywheel sound like good options.

Frank can i just ask what do wou mean 'inlet cam'? sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but i am really new to all of this, i refer to my haynes manual a lot lol, i fall under the 1 spanner level of skill, maybe even half a one, that may give you an idea of my knowledge base. Haha, i'll learn quick though, i hope :S.

Back