Car Insurance - With Modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

will_halligan

Buy & Sell Member
I am looking to insure my Nissan Micra K11 (2001) and I am 17. Insurance on a Full UK licence. What would be the cheapest isurance?

I have got on my car:

Body Kit
Spoiler
Exhaust
Alloy Wheels
Lowering
Tinted Windows

Which of these listed above would have the greatest impact on the incxurance price? Could anyone give me a rough idea of how much it would be, including the modifications listed above.

Cheers - Will (Y)

At 17 its hard to resist what the micra offers for a car (even 1.0 seems to have a rediculously fun amount to mess around in.)

just a guess but i'd say the £2000 mark but that also depends where you live, whether you have you parents on your policy and what sort of cover you want full comp, tpft or tp

Which means you will be driving without valid insurance.

What if you get caught? why risk it

I'd say 3k, i think he'l get rejected for age quite alot, insurance has been horrid but heck, might have just been august.

The exhaust would wack it up big time ! Go to 'Go Compare' and tick the modification box and tick all the ones you have listed above. I will guess way over £2000, Im 17 and get quoted £2000 for bog standard cover and I live in Solihull! I havnt declared my induction kit though or lowering! :wasntme:

Most people will not insure you with all those mods by the way!

dont crash and nobody will catch you. cops dont know whats on your policy. they just know weather you are covered or not

EDIT: i found out moneysupermarket is the best for me.

Is it any wonder people complain of high insurance prices? Its things like not declaring modifications and crashing that put it up so much.

dont crash and nobody will caught you. cops dont know whats on your policy. they just know weather you are covered or not

Never Never Never do this,

mckenzecz - never give advice like this again, you are telling someone to break the law.

Call the site sponsors to see if they will insure you, failing like try places like elephant or some of the insurers that advertise in the back of max power and fast car.

well, they shouldn't put it that high in first place then. lol. and i dont crash. worst are pensioners and they got it cheapest

Have to agree, it is discusting, but i'd build no claims up before modding, i like micra even without mod (Y) hehe.

worst are pensioners and they got it cheapest

YES, someone who agrees! Ive had a couple of close calls, all old people. They dont look at roundabouts, they just pull out on you!

Happened again today actually the only reson I didnt have a go was because they were driving a red K11.

at the end of the day it is wrong to not declare mods as its illegal, but come on you do these things when youre young dont you? i got quoted £9999 for all the mods on my car and ive just done a quote for the scooby and its £2000 how does that make sense? lol i just declare the major ones cause the price makes me sick

nobody has got all mods declared.
the thing is, how does Body Kit, Spoiler, Exhaust, Alloy Wheels, Lowering, Tinted Windows makes your car faster, more dangerous or more likely to crash? if someone gives me good answer i will declare all my mods. :grinning:

You should always declare mods to your insurers, one of my mates didn't declare his alloys and upon investigation when his car got burnt down didn't get a penny back. A friend of a friend didn't declare his mods n when he crashed into a bmw or some executive car and pretty much wrote it off, got sued and is still paying back about £5k, not worth the risk imo. Suppose its fine if you have a small bump but if theres an investigation you could be ####ed remember the insurence companies don't want to pay out, they'll find the smallest detail that voids your insurence n then screw you.

And about you question Will, I think your body kit will be the biggest kick in the balls, anything that attracts attention and is hard to replace/repair is usually what makes it go up, beside performance parts, from what I've read anyway.

nobody has got all mods declared.
the thing is, how does Body Kit, Spoiler, Exhaust, Alloy Wheels, Lowering, Tinted Windows makes your car faster, more dangerous or more likely to crash? if someone gives me good answer i will declare all my mods. :grinning:

they make you car more appealing to thieves

the thing is it's not difficult to strip a car and sell it as parts, think how many times you've removed things from you car and put them back on i know i could strip my car in a matter of hours

i got a bog standard 1 litre k11. n after one years no claims and one year on my liscene im still being quoted at arround 2.5k. i suggest you get your mum or dad to drive it to work and you have it to drive at weekends and evenings. that way the insurance comes down about 1k or so. As for your mods, id try and find a specialized insurancer that insures modified cars. then declair all the mods youve got so your squeeky clean. most of all good luck! us teenagers need it

i got a bog standard 1 litre k11. n after one years no claims and one year on my liscene im still being quoted at arround 2.5k. i suggest you get your mum or dad to drive it to work and you have it to drive at weekends and evenings. that way the insurance comes down about 1k or so. As for your mods, id try and find a specialized insurancer that insures modified cars. then declair all the mods youve got so your squeeky clean. most of all good luck! us teenagers need it

The insurance is such a b*tch when your only 17!! URGH! Anyways thanks for all your help and I will try and find a good deal somewhere.

Cheers - Will (Y)

Ring Quinn

IIRC they do not ask about asthetic modifications, ie your body kit, spoiler, alloys and tints, they dont ask as they do not count these mods n your policy as it does not affect your cars performance..

ask whether they would include the springs as a performance mod or an asthetic modification

as long as the exhaust is not too lairy you would find they would see the back box as an astheic mod,

though the induction kit would raise the price.

In fairness at 17 you hould have know your insurance was going to be horrible and you should have just left your car as standard as possible.

So my advice is give Quinn a ring they maybe able to help you.

Also its good to see how the advice has gone down hill on here with the absence of the old crowd.

Yeah, Im with Quinn also,

They said my lowering isnt a performance modification :laugh: so it dosnt add anything on.
All asthetic mods are free, with Quinn

It's probably best to keep your own opinions to yourself.. what you are advising could lead to a whole host of major problems.

Yes, you are right, but as I said before I dont think anybody has declared all of their "modification", if thats what you call an aftermarket radio. And I also said Insurance shouldn't be that high in first place then people wouldn't do this. I bet more then 50% of people dont declare their "mods" not only on this site, but in general. They just dont talk about it like I do.
Insurance companies and their mods are just the way to get more money from people.

Yes, you are right, but as I said before I dont think anybody has declared all of their "modification", if thats what you call an aftermarket radio. And I also said Insurance shouldn't be that high in first place then people wouldn't do this. I bet more then 50% of people dont declare their "mods" not only on this site, but in general. They just dont talk about it like I do.
Insurance companies and their mods are just the way to get more money from people.

I declare all my modifications on my car, it is actually a fairly simple process if you speak to the right type of insurance companies, my spec list is pretty long, eg engine conversion, wide arch kit etc etc.

In many cases my company will insure a modified cars for less money than a standard car.

I agree that insurance rates are high for younger drivers, rates have risen almost 50% for some:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11516195

But that doesn't get away from that fact that driving without disclosing your modifications effectively means the insurance isn't worth the paper it is written on. If you cant afford the insurance, you shouldn't be driving the car.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Now that we've heard from the horses mouth so to speak, I'm going to lock this thread.

Some of the comments made here are downright ignorant. To make it crystal clear: The MSC does not condone in any way, shape or form lying to your insurance company. It's a criminal offence that could land you in VERY hot water (it's considered fraud in the eyes of the insurer).

Couple this with the fact that if you do have an accident and it transpires you haven't declared any mods, your insurance could be made null and void, meaning you not only have a hefty repair bill to come but could be prosecuted by the police for driving without valid insurance.

If I see any more posts suggesting anything like this, you will be on the receiving end of a 1-day ban.

Car insurance costs a fortune, yes, we all know that (mine's going up again this year). But we're all in the same boat. To paraphrase Ollie: "If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be driving the car".

James.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back