Modifications

Igloo

Ex. Club Member
I am not sure on the title, But here goes.

I would like to know what i can get away with on my car without telling my insurance company.

Now if i re-fitted all the speakers inside, added a new Sub and amp. New headunit. Would i need to tell them?

If i changed the standard wheels (steel?) to alloys, would i need to tell them??

For any amount of lowering do i need to tell them?? (im looking at at 35mm)

I am guessing i need to tell them for a K&N and exhaust system.

What about splitters?

Hope im not missing something.

Thanks,

Igloo

you would need to tell them about wheels but it wont go up by much if any...i have some lovely 15" league alloys for sale they smarten a car up nicely didnt effect my insurance :D

or iv got a powerflow exhaust backbox and centre section for 70 quid it doesnt really effect the insurance much as its not a full system

yes for lowering but it does not really effect it much

splitters i cant remember i think u do but i cant see it effecting it much as its not performance related

I personally wouldnt declare splitters, the K&N (if its a panel filter) or the springs. The alloys and the exhaust are a must, which reminds me i need to do mine!

Thank you both for your replies.

I shall have to speak to my insurance company (Tesco)

Now im a 17 year old driver who has passed recently, This could be expensive (as my insurance is in my name and is fully comp :( )

if i were you id get a quote by saying i would like to..... and how much would this be. i got quoted 3478 quid for my super s k10 lowered with k&N! but i was 17 still and had been to court for a vehicle offense and had 3 points and an insurance claim! but5 still 3k! for a 600 pound car!

Igloo said:
Thank you both for your replies.

I shall have to speak to my insurance company (Tesco)

Now im a 17 year old driver who has passed recently, This could be expensive (as my insurance is in my name and is fully comp :( )

well at 17, its going to be expensive regardless of the mods you declare. Im with Tesco too and I recently declared my bodykit and alloys and because they were both under a certain figure, £250 i think, they didnt have a problem with covering them. They may say no to you because of your age, or sting you financially!

Its a micra 1L 'S'

51 plate Completely standard.

Will have to call them i guess.

I have no driving offences, Nothing what so ever, Now im hoping it wont be too much :(

Declare everything.

If you dont, the insurance company will find 'something' to get them out of paying you, and therefore invalidate your insurance. Which gives one very annoyed person (you), and a VERY pee'd off person (i.e. possible other car) that you could have hit.....

If you cant afford to insure it, dont bother modifying it.

Edit: Good luck with Tesco, they wanted a hell of a lot for putting some alloys on.

Try Bell Direct, part of the Admiral Group, they dont mind modifications.

www.bell.co.uk

Retepetsir said:
Declare everything.

If you dont, the insurance company will find 'something' to get them out of paying you, and therefore invalidate your insurance. Which gives one very annoyed person (you), and a VERY pee'd off person (i.e. possible other car) that you could have hit.....

If you cant afford to insure it, dont bother modifying it.

Edit: Good luck with Tesco, they wanted a hell of a lot for putting some alloys on.

Try Bell Direct, part of the Admiral Group, they dont mind modifications.

www.bell.co.uk

and if its not to much mine are for sale :) check out my breaking k11 thread :D

i havnt declared anything yet and ive got 15" alloys, panel filter and cg13de cams...

if i smash my car up ill put my steelies back on quick for good measure

probs best u do declare alloys tho if u can afford it...

rlees85 said:
i havnt declared anything yet and ive got 15" alloys, panel filter and cg13de cams...

if i smash my car up ill put my steelies back on quick for good measure

probs best u do declare alloys tho if u can afford it...

You wont be able to put steelies on if your car is taken away from the scene, or a police photographer takes images which are then forwarded on to the insurance company! Then as pete said, they'l probably declare your insurance as invalid because you've got parts on which arent covered. You'l probably get away with the cams & filter tho

Now i can afford to do it, Money is no problem (unless its really expensive)

I just wanted to know "what i could get away with".

Thanks guys,

Igloo

some insurance companys state in there teams and conditions. no modifacations that will help, acceleration and top speed so they might not cover you with exhausts etc.....

I dont suppose anyone has a link to the Tesco site saying if they allow modifications?

If not i shall ring them :)

Thanks,

Igloo

Igloo said:
I dont suppose anyone has a link to the Tesco site saying if they allow modifications?

As above, im with tesco and they've accepted a few of mine!

Back