Induction Kit Or Panel Filter or alternative?

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
Hi everybody,

feel free to tear me to shreds over this question but unfortunatly i know sod all about engines and how they work, i'm trying to learn but sadly i only ever seem to learn by asking stupid questions..

i am trying to decide whether or not to buy an induction kit, or a K&N panel filter, but i have no idea what the pros or cons of either option is, or if i can have both at once or if there is an even simpler, more inteligent solution.

I was really hoping you could all give me some sensible answers and good advice? sorry if this question is so stupid all you can do is take the #### out of me :down:

Ok so i've got hold of the airbox from a 98' P11 its the GA16 one so it should fit,

i'm planning on doing this tomorrow,

is there anytihng that i need to look out for whilst i'm doing it? i know i need to make a bracket ( thanks Matthew Humphris ) to hold it down, but otherwise thats it,

but have you guys got anything else i need to make sure i do?

cheers

Tom

its not stupid, but has been covered about ten times a week since the forum opened about 10 years ago...

a panel filter is the best option for performance (not that there is much) as it doesnt suffer from heat soak from the engine bay.

a cone filter or induction kit does suffer from heat soak from the ambient air in the engine bay, however they offer a much louder induction noise.

so noise of performance.?

ok, thank you for the quick reply.

sorry i should have used the search button :( my bad

aprt from the K&N filters, could you recommend any other reputable brands? or are they all similar in performance?

would an airbox form say an Almera or Primera with the correct filter be an even more effective and powerful enhancement or would it just screw up my car?

the 1.6 airbox from a primera/ almera/ sunny will fit and will work very well.

best manufacturers for filters are BMC, ITG, Green cotton and K+N

K+N are actualy the worst ones. they dont filter very well at all. and can you name a racing car with one fitted?

BMC = F1 teams
Green cotton = WRC teams
ITG = BTCC
K+N = ?????

ok thanks guys

i'll be heading to the scrappy soon to pick me up the airbox and i'll defo look into some better filters, thanks for your help :)

i believe its should be from similar years to the k11, have a look at the pic of mine and you will know what to look out for.

Update :)

Ok so i've got hold of the airbox from a 98' P11 its the GA16 one so it should fit,

i'm planning on doing this tomorrow,

is there anytihng that i need to look out for whilst i'm doing it? i know i need to make a bracket ( thanks Matthew Humphris ) to hold it down, but otherwise thats it,

but have you guys got anything else i need to make sure i do?

cheers

Tom

Attachments

• DSCF0448.JPG
    DSCF0448.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 411
ok,

i see what you did there :)

thank you for your quick reply,

sorry if this is a stuoid question, but did you find it nessecary to build a bracket, if so what did you use?

sadly i know nothing about this kind of thing :( i'm trying to learn quickly.....

ok,

i see what you did there :)

thank you for your quick reply,

sorry if this is a stuoid question, but did you find it nessecary to build a bracket, if so what did you use?

sadly i know nothing about this kind of thing :( i'm trying to learn quickly.....

the bracket in the pic is the GA one twisted round a bit :)

ok cool :)

i think i understand now, have to experiment and have a play tomorrow

would you say you noticed a difference once you'd done this?

ok cool :)

i think i understand now, have to experiment and have a play tomorrow

would you say you noticed a difference once you'd done this?

tom, i doubt you will feel much difference on a 1.0, mine has a pretty loud induction roar tho (with the baffle removed from the lid)

thats what i thought you would say lol

oh well, i'll give it a go and see what happens, i've got a few more things i plan on doing to my engine, manifold and back box, better fuel delivery etc but i thought this would be a good first thing to have a go at to get used to messing about with my engine and stuff,

well i'll give it a go and let you know how it all goes,

thank you for your help Frank

i have a green cotten panel filter :) carnt really say i noticed a diffrance. but it does have a deep sound to it at 4000rpm onwards..doesnt soun as chavvy as a cone filter (roar all the way through the rev range :p)

I've had lots of filters the only one i noticed a real difference with was Matt Humphris ones he sells with the green panel filter at the front grill. All personal view really, let us know if you think you can feel a difference...

Back