Had an accident

Dave_Ally

Ex. Club Member
Am fine, nobody else involved but car is a mess as it rolled once. Was lucky to walk away and not be hit by other traffic. Was just starting to accelerate on the slip road to the motorway when it hit a patch of water (heavy rain this afternoon) and felt the right wheel pull. Tried to correct and slow it down a little but the car fishtailed and pulled right straight down the embankment where it rolled at the bottom and ended up in the 2nd lane.

Fortunately nothing was coming and I was able to get out of the window (door would not open). Some passers by helped and moved it to the hard shoulder where it's been recovered, been checked over and no damage aside from some cuts and bruises.

Insurance not open so can't inform them until the morning but as I say it's been recovered. Not sure what to do from here, have a feeling I'm going to get offered next to nothing for it and probably won't be able to afford to get back on the road now. Just feeling very lucky there was nothing coming and people were able to stop in time so no further accidents.

Yeah felt loss of grip on the front right and then there was barely any control. getawaycar where does this leave us in regards to the registration as there is little doubt it will be written off? I will speak to DVLA in the morning after insurance?

Does anyone who has been in this situation know what will happen in regards to me getting my stuff back? I guess I can collect my stereo and iPod when I go to see it? Will I be able to remove anything that is undamaged from the car or will the insurance not allow it?

Edit: Surely I have to tell the insurance as the roof/windscreen is caved in so it will have to be written off? Also police/ambulance had to attend scene was breathalysed and asked what happened.

Good you have nothing broken Dave, even if it must be heart breaking to lose your car, nothing worth being alive. You can get another K11; but there is no another Dave. Be strong.
Seb

you should definatly inform the insurance, as you wouldnt want it to come back and bite you down the line. Even if its written off and you get something back you have the chance to buy it back from them for buttons, and you could try fix it or strip it then scrap it??

glad your ok though ad no one was hurt, just a shame about the car :(

If no-one was involved it cant bite you down the line. Whoever recovered the vehicle leave it with them to scrap get them to sign the relevant documents to inform the dvla and cancel your insurance. I dont see anything wrong with that.

The recovery company will be storing the car. If you visit them in the morning they will let you get your stuff. Take I.D. though!
An insurance assesor will inspect the car wherever it is now and decide whether it is a write off. They will figure out a price to repair the car in a Nissan approved bodyshop, using new Nissan parts at quoted book times. Depending on your insurance company and cover they will write the car off if the repairs are more than a certain percentage of the cars market value. For example, last time I totalled a car on my own insurance, the repairs were in excess of 70% of the value of the car so it was written off.
Depending on how much the assesor thinks it will cost to fix determines whether its a category D or C write off.
They should offer a settlement within a week or so, you get priority as the car is unusable. As part of the settlement you may be able to ask for the car back.

Unless you have the car at your house, claim your insurance because the recovery company charge for recovery and storage. If it goes through the insurance they will settle up with the recovery company but if you dont then you are liable.
If you do nothing the recovery company are entitled to dispose of your car to recover their costs. If they scrap your car they will pursue you for the balance!

Say £90 to recover the car and £15 a day to store it.

Tell your insurance mate!

I will tell them in the morning, there is very little chance it could be Cat C never mind D. I would say it is beyond repair, but I would like to get my fog lights off it if they are recoverable and the chrome parts but I doubt insurance would allow it which is a shame as they are rare bits. Do you think they would allow me to negotiate for the parts I wanted off it if they are indeed recoverable (I believe it is just the roof and windscreen area on the near side that is pretty much destroyed). I don't want this to ruin my driving and I will have to pay out to get back on the road so I very much doubt I can get another of that model quickly hence why I would like to get those bits from it. Do you think it would just end up in a nearby scrapyard once insurance is done with it?

Pop down in the morning and ask about it get some pics too glad your alright mate!

These cars just crumple!

Does the car run?? Id see if u can get it back to yours or whatever to strip it! They let us strip.my dads volvo!

Pop down in the morning and ask about it get some pics too glad your alright mate!

These cars just crumple!

Does the car run?? Id see if u can get it back to yours or whatever to strip it! They let us strip.my dads volvo!

Don't know if it runs they probably can't get inside it to start it as the door would not open. Was told it was put on the back of the recovery truck so doubt it is in any good shape, will get pictures tomorrow friend has offered to take me out to it. Yes you're right it has crumpled a bit where it rolled but neither airbag deployed!

Glad your safe after that.

That happen to me when i bought my P reg brand new, 3 months later similar thing with coming off slip road and rain and 40mph but the front end met a tree straight on, had a funny burning smell got outa that car faster than speedy Gonzalez as i though it was gonna explode. Car was scrapped insurance company gave me a band new car and 2 years later I saw my written off micra on the road again.

I'd tell the insurance, I don't see an issue with that as you don't need to claim after you ask them the options you have.

You could claim and ask to buy the car back and break it for parts?

im with stani, DO NOT get the insurance involved, if you go against our suggestions you will soon find out what and why we are telling you not to. Just trying to help, take it from us older boys

I have 2 accidents on my record both not my fault and which i didnt claim. Premiums went up and will stay up until i dont have to tell them on the 5th november 2014!! We all know insurance companies are total cons! Before you tell them go and get a quote on your very own car with the accident added and see the difference. Ive read some crazy increases!

Or atleast speak to the police and see what they will do. Police dont need to attend accidents its just what comes to mind at first

Just see if the recovery people will take it back or pull a favour to take it home if theres space!

Cancel insurance and claim back tax and strip the hell out of it! Make sure it runs etc! And but the facelift shell from here and swap the engine into it!

Dont tell insurance though more hassle for nothing!

Please dont let these parts go to waste! Im seeing less k11s everyday dude

Just see if the recovery people will take it back or pull a favour to take it home if theres space!

Cancel insurance and claim back tax and strip the hell out of it! Make sure it runs etc! And buy the facelift shell from here and swap the engine into it!

Dont tell insurance though more hassle for nothing!

Please dont let these parts go to waste! Im seeing less k11s everyday dude

If I don't claim I can just have insurance with 1 accident but 0 claims in future? I have done a speculative quote to this effect and it came back as £690 (not too far removed from what I have just paid). Not sure what to do here, there is a possibility I could be charged for the ambulance as I was taken to the hospital to be checked over but released in the hour.

I wouldn't tell them, to be honest. Way too much hassle, and you lose your NCB. Just strip whatever you can off it, get it taken to a scrapyard and have it crushed, and pick up another car or another K11 for next to nothing. Then all you have to do is just transfer it onto the insurance for your K11

So a lot of you are in agreement that I should cancel the insurance and keep my NCD? I would surely have to put that I was involved in 1 accident with nobody else involved and car was a write off? I have done a speculative quote to this effect and it came back as £690 (not too far removed from what I have just paid). Not sure what to do here, there is a possibility I could be charged for the ambulance as I was taken to the hospital to be checked over but released in the hour and any costs for cleanup even though the motorway was never shut? I could probably get my money back from insurance and pay to get the car back home (where there is space for it)?

What about the fact police were involved, if I cancel insurance I was still covered at the time of the accident even if I cancelled afterwards?

as daniel said see what the police say but our advice is better anyway! yeah simply when your done with whats left of the car scrap it and get money for whats left best option i tell you!

how far away is the recovery place from your house? i meant space as in drive way or garage or a close friend or relative with the space?

Just seen the edit - don't cancel the insurance, you can transfer it onto another car. But yeah, see what the police say, but telling the insurers is just too much hassle

But if I transfer it is it not technically void as I have had an accident whereas if I cancel and setup a new policy saying I have had 1 accident then it is still the truth? I still want to stay above board whatever I do.

The car is a good 25 miles away where it was recovered statutory by the police. There is plenty of space for it at home, 2 garages it could go in and a garden where it can be worked on. I will see if I can pull a favour to borrow a car trailer and get it towed on the back of our Vectra.

But if I transfer it is it not technically void as I have had an accident whereas if I cancel and setup a new policy saying I have had 1 accident then it is still the truth? I still want to stay above board whatever I do.

The car is a good 25 miles away where it was recovered statutory by the police. There is plenty of space for it at home, 2 garages it could go in and a garden where it can be worked on.

I'm not to sure but if you haven't claimed then all you surely need to do is get another car then inform the insurance of the change of vehicle and notify them the previous car was involved in a crash that way they know you had an accident but don't loose the months you've earnt on your policy

exactly mate if worst comes to the worst it can be towed eh! providing the wheels still turn the brakes work and the steering and lights workish!

but you were technically insured when the crash happened or leave it a couple of weeks before you do it!

i wouldnt have to tell about the accident as i dont see what evidence there is on it? noone whose going to claim or anything

The insurance literally renewed yesterday (6th) so I am still in the cooling off period for the most part of the next 2 weeks so I wouldn't lose out on the premium side? The new quote is with Admiral but £30 more than I have just paid renewal for. Anyways, I am going to go and rest (I assume I will be very bloody stiff in the morning) and will then go out and look over the car and decide what action to take.

alright mate hope you dont wake too stiff! that just sounded wrong my appologies!

well if its 30 more then id just say it anyway to shut them up

Sorry to hear that, mate :(
It happens unfortunately... Glad you're OK.

I hope you'd find another Micra at a good price soon enough!

Here's what's left (not much). I've paid for the recovery today and arranged scrap pickup tomorrow. After that, I will have to look at getting back on the road. Whether that will be in a Micra or not I don't know yet.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

bad crunch mate, bit sad. just thinking what your tyre pressure was at? and what cause'd the water glide that badly, as i've had some but always manage to break out of it by getting off the throttle and full concentration on the steering, only difrence would be thinner tyres i got

I don't think I will be able to get them back which I am sad about. It is locked up in a business park unit and I can't afford storage charge for another day just to get the fogs off. :down:

There is little I can do as it is not their main site so is usually unmanned/used for storing damaged vehicles from the local area. I am lucky to have got out of it and not be hit by anything else. Made the local news also :doh:.

Quite gutted about the whole thing but think I need to move on and write this off. Counting my lucky stars that the whole thing has not been worse as it easily could have been if it was another day.

Tyre pressures were around 32 on the front and 30 on the back.

ouch man shame yupou cant get the car back but just glad your ok and you didnt have a passenger! that slip road will haunt you forever!

Man, that hurts!!!
You're lucky to escape without any injuries! Look at it that way, cars can be replaced, your health - nope:suspect:

Man, that hurts!!!
You're lucky to escape without any injuries! Look at it that way, cars can be replaced, your health - nope:suspect:

Yeah, that's the way I'm looking at it and to be honest I'd rather it was gone quickly so I can move on and start again eh. Might take me a little while to get back on the road again but will take a good look at my options and see what's out there before I get something else. The main thing is the car protected me when I needed it to most. Anyways, if I end up with another Micra at some point I will likely be back but depends entirely on money right now or whether I decide to get something bigger (a tank should do it lol).

bad crunch mate, bit sad. just thinking what your tyre pressure was at? and what cause'd the water glide that badly, as i've had some but always manage to break out of it by getting off the throttle and full concentration on the steering, only difrence would be thinner tyres i got

When I wrote my k11 off the same way the cops said cos it was dry all a week and the heavy rain hit and brought all the oil to the surface which cause my car to slide due to the light weight of the k11. I'm always very cautious driving when it just starts to rain after a dry spell. so it could be surface oil.

jesus christ that only rolled once? this is why i favor roll cages my mate stole my ae92 corolla ages ago and rolled it 4-5 times and he said last time he looked at the speedo he was doing 90ish and it stood up better than you k11. glad your ok mate.

the recovery yard where mine ended up (ainsworths in ulverston) said i wasn't aloud to get anything out of it but i did anyway there was no way they was keeping my stuff imo if it wasnt bolted to the car i was taking it home. luckily there car ended up in fainty's (my local breakers) and i got the stuff back off it for free (exhaust steering wheel sterio ect) as i know the guy so wasn't to bad.

Well been down this morning to release it for scrap the guy let me get my parcel shelf with speakers, speedo with rev counter and my stereo fascia and the rest of the harness/wiring however couldn't get at the fogs as it was already on a trailer to go. It's just going to the local yard so I might be able to get there and get them back when I take my v5 down (as dvla have it).

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Back