Accident today!

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
hi all

unfortunately on the way to work this morning i had a medium-ish car accident with my K12.

I was driving along this long straight single carriage way at 8am, the sun was so bright it was blinding. So i slowed down to about 15mph, pulled the visor down and when i saw the back of an Audi A3 it was too late.

The car's fog lights are gone, radiator caved in and hissing, bonnet folded up, headlamps loose but not broken and from the looks of things the front of the chasis is slightly caved into the radiator. you can say its nothing major but i would like to hear what you guys has to say.

i managed to drive home without much problem except little bits and bobs falling out from the front end. As i am only a named driver under my dad with directline, they wont speak to me until my dad (the policy holder) comes back from holiday which will be about 2 days time.

at this moment, im still in shock, very upset and im waiting to see what my parents and insurance has to say.

does my car sound like a write off? what will happen if it is? i heard you dont get any money for it.
how much will my insurance policy go up by?

please lend a shoulder to cry on :down:

new wings, bonnet and bumper are in order, along with a new radiator and possible top section.

it's not a write off but it'll cost a couple hundred pounds

To my knowledge the insrance company will go up to 60% of the cars value before they call it a write off.

You'll be ok with the old insurance. I remember this when I wrote off my Corsa.

Unlucky dude, get a nice lass to cuddle up 2 ya and u'll be fine. Honestly you'll wake up tomorrow abosoloutly fine.

well i always knew the front end of the K12 aint exactly strong, the Audi A3 didnt even look like it had an accident! i offered to pay cash but she was having none of it, so i guess i will have to pay huge premium next year.

trust me when they come back, they would definitely give me an earful!

how long till the whole claim thing ends anyway? i mean i need my car to get to work, in the mean time i will have to catch about 4 buses in the morning to get to work! arrghhh!!

wilsonian said:
new wings, bonnet and bumper are in order, along with a new radiator and possible top section.

it's not a write off but it'll cost a couple hundred pounds

You're looking at a 4 figure number here not hundreds, new cars cost more to repair, the 206 I barely touched was £1000ish and thats having no new panels, hope you got fully comp.

Good luck

Shouldnt a write off. and not all claims take forever, my mum is with direct line and her claims have been sorted within two weeks.

At least your here to tell the tail though

thx guys, i feel much better after reading your comforting comments.

i do have fully com, lets hope they can fix my car asap and dont put me off road by upping the premium by far too much!

and i also hope my dad's insurance no claim bonus is protected otherwise im screwed big time! may as well jump off some tall building........:glance:

piccys.......tell me if it is bad!! :down:

PA040154.jpg

PA040153.jpg

PA040157.jpg

PA040151.jpg

accidents happen and he knew the risks when he insured u ...young drivers are more likley to have accidents as they have little experiance!

We all have to have 1 dude..iv had mine (hopefully my last) and mine was a lot more serious so think yourslef lucky! hope she doesnt drag out she has whiplash or anything it pees me off when ppl are out for all they can get not thinking of how it affects the other ppl!

Looks nasty! You never know with insurance, they could possibly write that off, especially if the engine or other parts were pushed back by the impact

a 53 plated 1.4sx is only worth about £4800 these days maybe slighty more and from what i can tell i think theres about 2/3k's worth of damage there.

its to tight to say if its a right off.

ps can you check to see if your wings have been pushed back? Make sure that both sides have the same size gap.

I AGREE WITH NISMO.COULD BE A WRITE OFF,HARD TO TELL FROM THE PHOTOS. THE PROBLEM WITH NEWER CARS IS THE CRUMPLE ZONES WHICH THEY HAVE BUILT INTO THEM. ITS DESIGNED TO ABSORB THE IMPACT WHICH MEANS THAT IT COULD BE ACTUALLY WORSE THAN IT LOOKS. :down:
AT LEAST YOUR FULLY COMP AND WERN'T INJURED IN THE ACCIDENT. fwn
GOOD LUCK ANYWAY.

Arnold says- Please dont use all caps in your posts! cheers

i think the wings are fine, if it is a write off then what will happen?

my friend said if its classed as a right off, the insurance company will take the car and do not give compensation is that true? thats scary!

hate to say it mate but if its a right off depending on what type of right of it is then it'll go to the scrappy and striped and eventually destroyed.

BUT im positive your car can be fixed but the value may be unecomical for the insurers to fix. IF thats the case it'll classed as a Cat B or C (What ever one allows you to buy it back) Someone will buy it and fix it up and sell it on cheap.

If wrote off you should get the current market value of your car back (if thats correct not sure though)

thats all right then!

so say they pay me £4000 for it, but i probably have about £5000 finance on it. then shall i look for another car? im confused and dont know what i should do.

but thx for your help mate.

ahhhh man thats bad for 15mph !

did ur airbag go off ? having finance on a car then crashing it is prob one of the worst things i reacon :s i hope you get it sorted. i nearly had a prang today because of the sun in my eyes but was only going 5mph so wouldnt have been too bad, stopped bout 2 feet away from the car infront.

do you own the car ?

yea i do own the car. the finance is under my name and so i get all the trouble! haha

i too am surprised on how 15mph can be so destructive, just make sure u guys dont crash with a micra, it could be lethal even at 30 i think!

im trying to cheer myself up by looking at other cars if my car do classed as a write off. i want a bigger car this time as it was quite scary hitting something with my k12. im still sort of in a shock!

those primera 03-04 plate are quite cheap! think 4-5k can get me a good example.

the micra is designed to do that in a crash, thats what saves you injury. the car takes the impact, not you.

its hard to say if they write it off or not as new cars cost more to repair like has been said, bummer is you will still owe the finance company £1000 if they payout 4k and you owe 5k.

good to see your not hurt though :)

My mate is with Nationwide insurance and when his XR3i was written off due to theft damage, they gave him the car back as well as the payout. He had to haggle a bit, but might be worth trying if it is a write-off.

Its one of the disadvantages of being fully comp, having to buy it back. Then again the accident was your fault so being third party, you wouldnt have got anything for it, so i guess buying it back doesnt seem like a big issue afterall. You could have lost 4 or 5 grand otherwise.

now i hope its gonna be a write off because of various reasons. firstly i must pay an excess of £250 and an extra 200 for being under 25 (only 6 months to go) if the vehicle is fixable, when its done its never gonna be the same again and selling value will be a lot lower too. i would rather take the cash they compensate me with and buy another nissan! what do you think?

i caught about 3 buses get to work today, tell you what i would never do it again. sitting there helplessly with school boys messing about isnt my cup of tea. anyway my courtesy car should arrive later on today.....i will tell u guy what it is later.........:grinning:

banksy said:
so .. did the air bag go off?

nope, dont think the bumper was pushed back far enough to set it off!

sonic said:
I'd say a blue Almera.

think the insurance company will give the same brand courtesy car? almera isnt bad i guess, hope its not a K11 though! hehe no offense :doh:

Nowt that.

Our Micra was much worse when we got it and cost less than a grand to sort with some used parts

tse_adam said:
... i offered to pay cash but she was having none of it, so i guess i will have to pay huge premium next year.
Don't panic about this either - a NCD is for not making a claim, not never having an accident.

Wait and see what the A3 quote comes back like and maybe offer to re-imburse your insurance co. to keep your no-claims.

Get on 24-7 spares to find the parts you need, and speak to a garage about getting the car fixed at the weekend for cash ;)

right i finally got my courtesy car after all the confusion between direct line and enterprise rental company.

from one learner's car to another, i got myself a 06 plate Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXI. i think its a nice little car, very nice seats, low slung driving position compare to other hatchbacks make it feel faster than it actually is.

all instruments felt solid and well built on the first day but then everywhere starts to squeek on the second day!

steering wheel is way too big and too high, when you turn it restrict your view on the dials. the steering doesnt have height adjustment either which is a real let down as you just cannot find the best driving position.

changing gear could have been smoother, it create problem whilst sitting in the traffic as its quite hard to jump from 1st to 2nd or vice versa.

it does have similar power to my 1.4 but boy it really pulls in mid range. you get nothing, nothing then a satisfying surge!

all in all a new car cant be bad, will keep it for 2 weeks until my baby is fixed.

Adam....sorry to hear about your collision.

I had one on Friday in my K11...

Was travelling on a dual carriageway [40 limit] where the road narrowed from 2 lanes into 1. I was in the nearside lane and noticed a Fiesta in my rear view mirror, about 100m behind. A white Motorway maintenance vehicle was overtaking him.

As i got to the part of the road where it did *actually* narrow down to one lane and i was travelling through it, the van was to my right over the chevrons [that lane had to merge into the one i was in] and the Fiesta had dropped back further to allow it to join behind me. But no, he scraped the offside rear or the car, taking off the rear handle, puncturing the skin, taking off the wing mirror and generally making my car look crap.

Best thing about it though? He didnt stop.

Going through the police and insurers at the moment. Its minor damage compared to yours Adam. Glad you like your courtesy car though!

Thing that worries me is that the rear 1/4 panel behind the door is dented and scraped... can they do wonders at body repair shops?

tse_adam said:
now i hope its gonna be a write off because of various reasons. firstly i must pay an excess of £250 and an extra 200 for being under 25 (only 6 months to go) if the vehicle is fixable, when its done its never gonna be the same again and selling value will be a lot lower too. i would rather take the cash they compensate me with and buy another nissan! what do you think?

i caught about 3 buses get to work today, tell you what i would never do it again. sitting there helplessly with school boys messing about isnt my cup of tea. anyway my courtesy car should arrive later on today.....i will tell u guy what it is later.........:grinning:

If they repair it and your excess and premium means you have to pay £450 all in all.

Then, if they write it off, they will take that £450 out of it, and if you're paying monthly, you will have to pay for the rest of the premium

Back