gear box oil, top up problem :(

mullet

Ex. Club Member
having trouble getting the spedo drive out of the gear box tried wiggleing it tried tapping it with a hammer tried pulling it straight out and had no succsess any help or ideas appreciates :D

If you have already drained the oil, bummer.

I had this trouble. I broke the speedo drive off, its now epoxy metaled in place. You'll have to remove the near side drive shaft and jack the car up to about 45 degrees, then pure as much oil as possible through the drive shaft hole, using a tube and holding the bottle up makes it easier.

To remove the drive shaft grip it with mole grips and hit it with a big hammer towards the wheel, the shafts are clipped in with a snag ring. I cant remember but i think that there is just enough play to remove the shaft on full right lock. But you might need to loosen of remove one of the strut to hub carrier bolts.

If you haven't already drained the oil. Don't.

Soak it in 3 in 1 oil for a few days before you need to take it out. Pound shops have started selling it in Hamilton!
When you are ready to remove it leave the engine running for half an our or so. The drive comes out easier when the casing is hot.
If you can get under the car try gently tapping the lug where the 10mm bolt holds it round, go easy though. When its moving, use the pull and twist method.

Once you've taken the 10mm bolt out of the egg shaped plate at the base of the speedo cable, put a small screwdriver aside it and tap it to one side, if at this point it won't twist from side to side and pluck out. Then you will have to place the screwdriver between the cable plate and the gearbox housing and tap it gently untill they begin to separate.
I know there really isn't much room to work in there but it's do-able.

Once you've taken the 10mm bolt out of the egg shaped plate at the base of the speedo cable, put a small screwdriver aside it and tap it to one side, if at this point it won't twist from side to side and pluck out. Then you will have to place the screwdriver between the cable plate and the gearbox housing and tap it gently untill they begin to separate.
I know there really isn't much room to work in there but it's do-able.

that works
i done this before--or warm him up as suggested

I've never taken the cable out of the drive gear end to remove it. Mostly because it may be a cowbag & never go back in (which has happend to me with a few bikes), but also because you'd have nothing to pull it with. It'd be kinda like taking the handle off of a door and then realising that you need to open it :laugh:
My cusin once pulled out the speedo cable and then tried to pour the gear oil through the tiny little cable hole, needly to say when i saw what he was doing, he got a haynes manual round the back of his head :wasntme:

had a good old go at it again and had no luck so my uncle owns a garage and ramps so im going over there to get it off ha ha it will come out :blues:

just cause if it twists round and you get an edge to tap up gently usualy does it or flat sharper front screwdriver wedges under and can be leverd up

all the bolts ? .im sure its one bolt you take of instead of unscrewing the speedo cable from theyr
once "the" bolt is of apply upward pressure on the cable(pulling up not too much force but still abit)
while pulling up get that flat head screw driver between the little speedo plate and gear box and wedge up if it starts loosening apply leveridge all around evenly

Back