changing gear box oil

CMF_rowstar1

» CMF Member
My first time changing the gear box oil myself.

Mechanic wanted $120....so guess i'll try it myself.
Never done this before on any of my nissans....so i kinda need a very quick walkthrough please or anything i should know first?

I have to jack it on my two stands so is it better to lift the front or rear?

also do i need a pump type device to get the oil up into the gearbox?

should i change the drain plug?

also what oil for 96 K11 standard?

cheers

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
If you need to jack it up, the front would be the best :)
But if your car is standard height you can do it without.

gearbox has a drain plug that is on the passenger side of the box, facing towards the wheel (1/2 inch drive I think)

Filler plug is on the front of the gearbox, on the passenger side, (1/4 inch drive, possibly), there is only one I'm sure you will find it. (behind radiator fan)

Gearbox oil poured into a funnel>hose>filler point. From above, no pump needed. 2.8-3L from memory, could be wrong though. When it overflows back out the filler hole it is full.

You could fill it through the speedo drive hole, wouldn't think that is necessary though.

Castrol VMX80 is the factory recommended oil.

I'm sure Frank will chime in with pics..

CMF_rowstar1

» CMF Member
awesome!!! now that was a fast response.
great work guys love this site!

when you say top of the gearbox, you mean pull the carpet back etc and fill it from inside car yeah. sorry if that noobish.

reason i'm doing this is because i've got a whirrrrring sound when driving in gear.

clutch in, makes the whirring go away.

thought i'd try oil first. then look at bearings. best to try cheaper option first.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
how i change gearbox oil.

* drive car around for few mins to warm up gear oil
* handbrake on
* jack the front up with trolley jack under the rear wishbone rubber mount or normal scissor jack under the sill
* rest car on axle stands under the box chassis rail that runs under the driver/passenger floor
* undo the 1/2" gearbox drain plug underneath with a breaker bar or large 1/2" wrench n drain down into a tray, put on a cuppa for few mins.
* inspect the magnetic plug for large metal pieces. wipe clean with cloth.
* smear abit of copper grease on the plug threads n retighten the plug back on
* when pouring the old oil into a container, measure the amount with a measuring jug
* remove the airbox to access the back of the gearbox
* unscrew the speedo cable end from the speedo unit
* undo the speedo units 10mm bolt from the gearbox
* knock/nudge/rotate the head of the speedo unit anti-clock till the lip of the 10mm bolt hole can be grabbed n you pull & turn the unit up n out. put cloth underneath to reduce spillage of oil
* insert a 1-2m pipe into the speedo hole and the funnel on top and fill with the same amount of gearbox oil drained out
* stick the engine oil dipstick down the speedo hole till it reaches the bottom, read the level and topup as required till its a full
* reinstall the speedo & cable & airbox
* lower the car back down
* check for leaks and ur done

CMF_rowstar1

» CMF Member
yep the whirring (which is starting so sound louder and very grindy now since the last week) is coming from under the bonnet.
Bearings is what i was thinking too. so yeah i think you're right unfortunately.

Asdame - that is an awesome walkthrough. thanks for spending the time writing that!

CMF_BOX

» CMF Member
"clutch in, makes the whirring go away"

this whining noise you hear is the Thrust bearing for what your saying. That means gearbox off to change it. Might aswell do your clutch while ur at it.

Back