Chopped springs.

My Micra is my Cheep and cheerful run about. But want to lower it the cheapest way poss. So i thought about just chopping the springs.

But if i chop the springs 1. Is it safe?
2. would it pass an M.O.t? that is the most important thing.

Cheers

Keith

Link does mention that a keen inspector could interpret a cut spring as "incomplete".
Also they say "Provided the spring ends locate correctly when the vehicle is lowered into the normal running position, without assistance this is not a reason for rejection". This is only an issue if you're chopping loads off,you can get 30mm with the springs still captive.

Link does mention that a keen inspector could interpret a cut spring as "incomplete".
Also they say "Provided the spring ends locate correctly when the vehicle is lowered into the normal running position, without assistance this is not a reason for rejection". This is only an issue if you're chopping loads off,you can get 30mm with the springs still captive.

I'm not talking about chopping loads off? I only want to drop it a wee bit. I would make sure i chopped it so it fitted back in properly.

The m.o.t station is a good one :wasntme:

go for it man, chopped springs are fine I had 35mm springs on my onle 1.0 and then chopped 2 coils off them, never had a problem.

go for it man, chopped springs are fine I had 35mm springs on my onle 1.0 and then chopped 2 coils off them, never had a problem.

i also had 35mm springs and i am not satisfied with the result. from my point of view the car must be lower on the front for further 20MM and on the back for 35mm.
But if you chopped Coils off, what is when you lift up the car ?? springs are tight or dangle around?

So in germany i would get problems at the mot (tüv).
My idea is the following: heating and pressing the springs (front 20mm, back 35mm) and if necessary cut the piston rod of the dumpers so springs are tight even when the car is lifted up (where is the peak when you need to cut the piston to ensure springs are tight when car is lifted up ??)

At least the car will get lowered front 55mm and back 65mm, maybe some of the users can tell me if i need to cut the piston rod in my case.

i will not do that myself (Y), we have special firms for producing/repairing springs and they offer that service, done it a lot of times with all my other cars in the past.
regards from germany
monchi

Yeah you will be getting dangly springs if you want to go that low.Check Franks blog,he's using Daewoo Matiz legs.Nice & low & spring stays where it should.
Don't forget the pictures ;)

Back