• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Charlie

The plan is grp but that'll be next year (fingers crossed)

Problem is my dog is accumulating a very big vets bill so until I have some spare cash I've got to be cheap :) ill be happy if I can get the car insured and taxed for japfest

You do and I'll kick your teeth in :) or cry like a little girl.... The latter is most likely :p
I reckon you should do what u want lol.its not that bad

signature...please ignore anything I say...when using my phone it is either bad grammar or rubbish spelling.

You wouldn't regret it mate the GRP bonnets weigh F'all!

Was tempted to skin my GRP with carbon but plumbed for good old paint in the end.

I'm sure you'll make japfest no worries

P.s hope your dogs alrite

It doesn't look completely ****, uncle Silvia did it a couple of years back and he did a good job

Don't worry Scott I'm too lazy to be violent :)

You wouldn't regret it mate the GRP bonnets weigh F'all!

Was tempted to skin my GRP with carbon but plumbed for good old paint in the end.

I'm sure you'll make japfest no worries

P.s hope your dogs alrite

That's why I'm tempted by the grp bonnets, I'd be tempted to leave it in painted though, saves weight :)

Don't know if I'll make japfest if I'm honest last time I spoke to the vet the bill was almost 1k and at that price the super s is a real risk of being broken

It doesn't look completely ####, uncle Silvia did it a couple of years back and he did a good job

Don't worry Scott I'm too lazy to be violent :)
Yeah if done properly it looks okay but i just prefer a clean look but thats just me everyone has different tastes :)
Me to :)

I clear carbon wrapped my roof and damn its hard to get right if your fussy! Came right back off later that night as I was so annoyed with 1 little bit

I'm getting the wrap for free so I'm not bothered if it does end up looking ****, I couldn't do the roof anyway not enough room to move around the car

I prefer Pins personaly, but if you're going to do pins you should remove the hinges and do pins front and rear :p

A little while back I bought myself an auto darkening welding mask and since then my confidence has grown, so I bought this.....

8636971496_ea26202cbf.jpg

For a little welding project.

No I'm not going turbo, even if all I need is induction hosing

Next was some new harnesses for the newly fitted bucket seats, I was planning on buying Motty's friends harnesses but these came up cheaper.

8639919065_0aa7684374.jpg

8641023530_b2a203de37.jpg

Still waiting on them to arrive though.

I don't know why but I've always wanted an oil catch can....

So I bought one :)

8639919765_ef8f447f50.jpg

Next time you see pictures of these they'll hopefully be in the car

Looks like the same catch tank as mine :D Good bit of kit, tarts up the engine bay a little bit as well.

Today was as good a day as any to make a start in finishing putting Charlie back on the road...

Except...

Nothing has gone right yet...

went to try to get the dip stick out again by drilling it.. fail lost the chuck key for my corded and my cordless has a dead battery :mad:

So I thought sod it lets swap manifolds, all I need to do is swap the lambda from one and put it in the other... fail fire and brute force would not budge it and the spanner (me) chewed up the nut sleeve thingy (you know what I mean)

That said its not been a completely wasted day, I've started on the turbo manifold (pics to come in a separate thread)

Right a bit of a better day....

Started off with this...

8647441093_3e7002c70e.jpg

(this isn't the actual manifold I used)

Carefully decide where to cut...

8648541438_cc4ac936de.jpg

Then I invited all the local pigeons round to help me finish up...

8647443527_8783e2afed.jpg

And it's done :)

Going to clean it up and see if the welds hold, then chuck it in the cupboard

Right a bit of a better day....

Started off with this...

8647441093_3e7002c70e.jpg

(this isn't the actual manifold I used)

Carefully decide where to cut...

8648541438_cc4ac936de.jpg

Then I invited all the local pigeons round to help me finish up...

8647443527_8783e2afed.jpg

And it's done :)

Going to clean it up and see if the welds hold, then chuck it in the cupboard
Those welds don't look too bad for mig on cast, you'd need tig if you wanted it perfect unless you heat the manifold red hot to weld it.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing, if I'd thought about it I would have asked for pointers before starting

Pffft, who needs pointers ;) lol learn by doing, that how I learnt, only been welding a few months, realise your own problems then think of how to overcome them.

Practice is a must!

Looks cool tho, you decided what you wanna do about turbo?

when I was stick welding my cracked turbo mani, I always found it essential to practice on a similar thickness scrap piece to tune the machine amps and my technique so I'm ready before committing to the actual piece.

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-45#post-503515

grinding down to bare metal for the weld area and ground lead ensures a much cleaner & easier weld.

dsc05756r.jpg

my preferred technique was to
- flick the stick afew times to pre-heat the tip till its glowing (makes it start much easier/gentler without sticking),
- keep the stick at a very shallow angle to the surface so it doesn't blow holes or blob,
- and pulse weld at 1sec intervals to keep the heat down by flicking my wrist between stick touching the weld (glows white hot, lay few mm of bead) and then straight out to stop the weld (watch it cool down to medium brightness) then continue again before the slag hardens.

getting comfortable n posture n pre-planning ur movements is also very important.
you don't wanna start a bead only to find your position has binded up, have to stop 1/2way, chip & wirebrush the slag off, before recommencing at another position.

as you weld, the cold piece heats up anyway and welding becomes abit easier & smoother

if you have bad welds, u always have a grinder to erase the errors n start again. it should preferably look all smooth n even with no pinhole dimples

dsc05759r.jpg

after welding, tap it hard with a hammer to check there's no weak inclusions in the joint cos you'll be hanging a big heavy turbo on the end of this

car manifold cast is probably a bit cleaner than the hundred y/o railway wagon axleboxe cast I'm used to welding eh, but with mig at least heating first makes it easier. I'll second cleanliness too. Also cut a chamfer to leave a channel to fill with weld helps with penetration.

Back