• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Chapter 2... Micra Dot Rising To The Top

okay so iv been a bit busy past couple of weeks! only thing is I didn't take any pictures.. :oops: completely forgot!

so anyway iv fitted manual window converters to the car, so they are now electric :D
I used this kit off eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310762215529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

just fits over the existing mechanism so real easy!

then i had a slight problem.. i noticed that the car would mist up inside pretty easily and on one cold night, the misted windscreen froze on the inside :mad: took me about 20 minutes to defrost it, then was left with loads of water on my windscreen! so i thought id go about insulating the car :cool:
http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/floori...oam-Flooring-Underlay-12608623?skuId=13129329

Bought a pack of underfloor insulation for laminate flooring from B&Q for £18 and covers about 8 sq/m.. so i took out all the carpet, layed it all underneath the seats, in by the footwell and under the rear seats, then put some over the gap in the boot lid, one piece in the roof lining and covered the drivers door up too.. still got to do the passenger door and the 2 rear quarter panels.. has improved the noise insulation a bit too ! :)

Some new wheels .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 329
Yeah, got a set of corsa b coil overs waiting to be fitted in the next few weeks :) il have to look through the thread again to see how to fit them, as I didn't get it the first time haha

Thanks :) I'm waiting on my super s bumpers, mudguards, colour coded mirrors and spoiler to be painted then they'll be on too :)

can anyone let me know what the best way fitting the corsa b coilovers is?

I found this guide : http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/official-msc-k11-lowering-guide-faq.54269/

do I need all those washers? can't i buy some new corsa b top strut mounts and use them instead and just drill some new holes for the bolts?
if i can avoid using all those washers then it would be better, as iv seen that they can wear?

Also the rear springs, are the corsa b springs too wide to fit ?

would appreciate any info to enlighten me :)

plus, i hope to try and fit it with the helper spring too because when the suspension is in full droop, the springs total extended length is shorter then the travel of the shock. The helper spring takes care of the slack, so the springs do not rattle, and keeps them from slamming back into the perch when the suspension comes back up.

so whats the options for that? ideally id like the same springs.. different springs have different stiffness and spring rate don't they or are the micra and corsa springs near enough the same would you know? :)

they are designed for the corsa mount ;) , so you dont get the problems of the top nut undoing itself as you turn the steering! (like you get with the k11 mounts)
and it does,nt wear into the shaft either (which i have seen on 2 members cars)

they are designed for the corsa mount ;) , so you dont get the problems of the top nut undoing itself as you turn the steering! (like you get with the k11 mounts)
and it does,nt wear into the shaft either (which i have seen on 2 members cars)
I bet I can fit the micra topmount without the topnut undoing ;)

this is a corsa thrust bearing (totally different design to a k11 one) the step of the shaft sits under where the red arrow points to, and the weight of the car bears down onto it.
the k11 thrust bearing presses down onto the top spring cup (not the shaft step)

mIKakRSYKrLQSCwf6RAaYuQ.jpg

this is a corsa thrust bearing (totally different design to a k11 one) the step of the shaft sits under where the red arrow points to, and the weight of the car bears down onto it.
the k11 thrust bearing presses down onto the top spring cup (not the shaft step)

View attachment 27414
That's poorly designed eh :/
The spring cup should rest on the shock stepand the thrust bearing sits on the spring cup

that what i,m saying andy ^ that nut will undo itself, and wear will cut into the shaft !
Because there is only a bearing between spring seat and topmount and not shock shaft and topmount? Because from what I remember the stock micra shocks don't have one... but then the polo and micra fronts don't have that unthreaded section before the shoulder?
Edit: Don't worry I worked it out, am gunna work something out so the upward shock load (compression) go through the spring seat

Because there is only a bearing between spring seat and topmount and not shock shaft and topmount? Because from what I remember the stock micra shocks don't have one... but then the polo and micra fronts don't have that unthreaded section before the shoulder?
Edit: Don't worry I worked it out, am gunna work something out so the upward shock load (compression) go through the spring seat
Tbh andy i dont know how the polo ones are designed :)
But the corsa ones are designed so that the step on the shaft bears all the weight of the car, where-as the k11 shaft nut can be removed with the car on its wheels and pushed downwards into the shock body (ie, not weight bearing)

Tbh andy i dont know how the polo ones are designed :)
But the corsa ones are designed so that the step on the shaft bears all the weight of the car, where-as the k11 shaft nut can be removed with the car on its wheels and pushed downwards into the shock body (ie, not weight bearing)
But I always thought that with suspension the springs supported the weight of the car, and the shocks essentially just take the energy out of the springs? If the shock step took all the weight it would just compress fully surely?
I figure that having the upward force of the shock acting against spring seat is only so that conpressive shock forces go through the bearing and allow the rubber mounted washer in the topmount to spin freely (as the shock load is taken by spring seat except on rebound which is a weak force by comparison?)

But I always thought that with suspension the springs supported the weight of the car, and the shocks essentially just take the energy out of the springs? If the shock step took all the weight it would just compress fully surely?
I figure that having the upward force of the shock acting against spring seat is only so that conpressive shock forces go through the bearing and allow the rubber mounted washer in the topmount to spin freely (as the shock load is taken by spring seat except on rebound which is a weak force by comparison?)
Almost spot on.
Shocks aren't load bearing. Springs are.
Rebound is a much stronger force in comparison to compression.
A spring resists compression but aids rebound so the shock has to work against the springs energy.

Either way you look at it. The bearing should be on the spring seat in such a way that it doesn't rely on the shock shaft to rotate

My advice... get rid of the top spring cups
Purchase some flot top spring cups. These for example (£13.50each)
1389659223270.jpg
And use suitable thrust bearings with micra top mounts

yes the spring supports the weight of the car, but on the corsa,s the thrust bearing upper half is directly bolted to the shoulder/step of the shock shaft (where is says "sit flush") and the corsa shaft is thicker/stronger as a result, because it also carries the weight of the car
the k11 shaft just floats in a rubber mounted washer, and is only subject to damping loads, and the k11 nylon thrust bearing is a bigger dia and locates under the actual top mount (not the shaft)

corsab.jpg

images.jpeg

and the corsa shaft is thicker/stronger as a result, because it also carries the weight of the car
Shocks never carry the weight of the car its not physically possible.
Though from that drawing I think I can understand what you mean. With the bearing mounted where it is under? the spring cup relies on the shock shaft to turn within the body

okay, iv order some corsa b top strut mounts today, so should arrive tomorrow :)

for the back springs, the kit iv got has the adjustable seat to lower and raise the car, just like the front. would this be safe enough to use along with the corsa springs as the seat will 'hopefully' fit the car properly and the spring will fit that ?

Almost spot on.
Shocks aren't load bearing. Springs are.
Rebound is a much stronger force in comparison to compression.
A spring resists compression but aids rebound so the shock has to work against the springs energy.

Either way you look at it. The bearing should be on the spring seat in such a way that it doesn't rely on the shock shaft to rotate

My advice... get rid of the top spring cups
Purchase some flot top spring cups. These for example (£13.50each)
View attachment 27416
And use suitable thrust bearings with micra top mounts

the front springs i got have this, with the bearing built into the top so thats a bonus :D

Would anyone happen to know a way of correcting the speedo?? I tried my speedo against my phones gps and it's about 15mph out! Speedo reading 70mph, phone reading 56mph.. Surely there's a way to correct a analog speedo?

Just looked at the coil overs, bought new corsa top strut mounts to go with it, but I think there's something missing as theirs nothing to hold the mount in place, as the centre hole is too large for the bolt to clamp it, I'm pretty sure iv put it together right, but this is the problem.. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I'm on my phone, best I can do haha

What if I get about 10 washers or so to fill that gap between the bearing and mount, then one larger washer on top of them to then bolt down?

Back