Bang for buck mods on you K11

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Bang for buck mods... what have you found to be awesome bang for buck mods on your Micra so far?

- Hurricane extractors / exhaust ?
- Lightened flywheel / Jun flywheel
- Whiteline swaybars ?
- Increased fuel pressure ?
- Tuning ?
- Some other secret modification you'd like to tell us about?

Shoot!

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
Swaybars, 2nd hand coilovers, panhard rod, wider wheels and good tyres. IMO don't bother with engine performance mods.

Oh and power steering if you don't already have it.

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
after last nights little episode I can answer this a bit better, bigger brakes and tyres are my best investment at the moment, they just saved me from having to buy a new car. I got the brakes(pulsar) for nothing, 14" mags for $20 each(+can paint) and new tyres(185/55/14) for $80 each, I've had to jump on my brakes a few times over the years and I know the std brakes and old 165's would'nt have stopped in time.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
+1 for brakes and tyres. I had two accidents in the micra cos of cheap tyres. Quality rubber makes a huge difference to the safety of the vehicle. Next best 'bang for buck' mod I would say swaybars.

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
very true Tyrie, I done both at same time, I've always been impressed with the micra's brakes, the old tyres were letting me down big time tho, did you use the bigger SuperS/ABS brake booster? could you fully lock up your sticky tyres?

what can you get to test and measure the stopping power of a car

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
Mine was dead stock, with whatever pads were in it, and 205 dunlop semi slicks. Would lock the inside rear going into corners but that was more from the unweighting of the rear. Climberjoel had upgraded replacement rotors and pads and toyo r1r. Not sure what the weakness of his setup was but 1:15s is pretty good for an n/a micra so it can't have been that bad!

That said, my turbo k11 had n14/n15 front brakes and they were good too, and for the price of them (both my sets were free) why not upgrade!

Best thing you can get to test stopping power is a track day :p

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Cheapest performance upgrade is a mothball in a tank of 98+ octane petrol. Red Dot has a pack of 20 mothballs for $2... one per tank gives a noticeable improvement. And is O2 sensor safe as its the same chemical found in octane boosters that are $20+ per bottle.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
I'd have to say replacement springs are good value, the stock springs are stupid soft, and car sits crazy high, with no loading ability, the car feels transformed with stiffer and lower springs.

Brakes often just come down to brake pads, cheap pads work and feel rubbish, but I can't be bothered putting more expensive pads on till I go vented rotors, solid rotors are a bad joke from the 70s.

Back