Emmissions testing for a CG13DE with performance mods

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
Hi All,

As some of you might remember I am doing a CG13DE in a Morris Mini Deluxe, the conversion is going slowly but well and the front subframe is almost finalized.

Anyway I am putting a mulholland replica inlet manifold on my engine as it will help me clear the firewall and I figure it should help me realize some good performance, additionally I will be getting some extractors made to fit the engine as again the standard exhaust is restrictive and likely won't fit the car. (If it helps anyone the inlet manifold you're looking for is from a 4EFTE turbo starlet import engine or a 5EFHE which is a high compression version of the engine found in some Toyota Paseos, you might find these in Australia)
Here's some pictures and a thread, it took me ages to work out what car the manifold came from...
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=23606

So given I'm doing the above mods I figure I'll probably need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to be able to tune to the changed inlet and exhaust.

The question becomes, because I am getting the conversion engineered and I am changing the inlet and exhaust tracts I have to get it emissions tested. So I'm inclined to do all the engine mods I might want and get them engineered so I will have no hassles later on. (probably less cams)

So do I put on a GA15 or GA16? throttle body rather than making the inlet manifold up for the CG13DE item and then possibly have to change it later. Assuming I can get a GA15 tb for a decent price it doesn't seem too much hassle.

So the second half of this question is will I need to change injectors, engine management etc keeping in mind I have to get this thing to pass an emissions test and I will need to get it tuned to ensure it passes. So how tricky is it likely to be to get an engine with a GA15 / GA16 to pass emissions, the Cat will be selected to pass the emissions test BTW.

I want this engine to be a strong NA engine with strong torque in the low and mid rev range. Funnily the 5EFHE tb is 45mm same as the CG13DE a little strange for a 1.5 litre motor isn't it?

Sorry for the very long post.
Any advice guys?

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
hey mate thanks for the tip regarding the 5EFHE. I knew about the 4EFTE fitting, but had never hered that these two are the same.

Im usure what you are after regarding the ga15 tb as the ga15 uses the same bolt holes and outlet size as the cg13, which is why they are a common bolt on mod. as such making the inlet manifold fit a cg13 would be the same as making one to fit a ga15.

Some people have used a sr20 tb, however this is very diffrent to the stock tb and the two are not interchangeable. By going to an sr20 you would need to do some modifying to the electronics, at he very least running a piggy back ecu controller and potentialy a different air flow meter.

hope that helps somehow,

Cheers

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
Hey ClimberJoel,

I realized they had the same bolt pattern about halfway through typing the post, lol which answers at least 1 question, ie make the manifold fit the CG13DE or GA15 tb. Assuming I can get a GA15tb reasonably cheaply and easily (pulsar parts right ~$200?). Otherwise I may need to look at the GA16. I don't want to go to a SR20 tb as I think that'll take the engine beyond what I'm after.

I want smallish and convenient / cheap mods and moderate gains in power that will match or take advantage of what I'm already doing but not make it too difficult to pass the emissions test. Anyone had to pass an emissions test with a modified CG13DE?

The emissions test uses low and middle revs and throttle applications so a heavily cammed engine might have trouble because of valve overlap and a rough idle. Alternatively running lean up top which seems to happen on std injectors with the larger tb sometimes can cause it fail emissions, alternatively bigger injectors could cause a rich bottom end and a fail or I might just be imagining problems here.

I'm not overly familiar with the CG13 engine.

BTW the 2 manifolds differ slightly, have a look in the photo, the 5e plenum runners are offset slightly differently to the 4efte ones, not sure there are any practical differences the tercel and starlet guys seem to consider them essentially the same.

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
You managed to get the coolant hose to fit? You must be strong/persistent! I used two alloy adapters/reducers on either side :)

also I slightly filed the corner of the TB to fit past the bolt rather than grining the bolt - but much the same hey.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
a cheap a/f/r gauge hooked to the middle lambda wire will tell you if its closed looping ok eh.
i,m running N/A at the mo, and testing the rising rate reg and other stuff out, and the current SR20 injectors and t/b are closed looping fine @ 20 psi idle, and the needle is bouncing 2 or 3 times/sec @ cruise (so the fueltrim is well within its comfort zone).
so i would just adjust the fuel pressure before the emissions test so that its closed looping perfecty @ idle and fast idle, and i would somehow temporarily fit the stock exh mani and cat too

Back