Wideband AFR Reader

I'd like a wideband afr reader that I can put down the tailpipe of various cars. Like they do at dynos.

I've been looking through the forums at what people are doing for wideband lambdas. The Innovative LC-1 seems to be the popular choice?

Would one of these with a gauge do the trick if I just poked it down there? Or are the dyno ones specially designed so the wires don't melt, etc?

It's certainly OK to poke it in the exhaust since I've seen people doing that but from what I've heard the nearer it is to the engine the more accurate it becomes.

Are you intending to use it temporarily or leave it permanently in the exhaust with a dial on your dash?

Thanks, I was hoping to leave the narrowband in and poke the wideband down the tailpipe temporarily as I would need it for another car as well and I'd rather not buy two :p

for monitoring and tuning the combustion mixture the primary narrowband & wideband should be positioned before the catalyst, if the wideband is too close and hot it may require a heatsink or extension.

placing the sensor after the cat may affect reading accuracy.
oem usually place secondary sensors after the cat only to compare against the primary sensor and check if the cat is working.

Ah okay. The cat shouldn't be a problem...

Hmm, I'd forgotten about monitoring. I might have to install it properly after all

Back