Very Heavy Steering With 205/40/R17's!!!!

Cheef

Buy & Sell Member
As title, I've got a few issues now since I bolted on my 17's. Firstly they find every contour and pothole on the road surface! :doh:

Secondly, I sometimes get wheel vibrations at low speeds and the car wants to pull hard to the left...?:doh:

Now my final question AFTER searching for half hour is: When I take off all the necessary PAS related parts off a facelift K11, what do I connect the sensor wires to, as my car is a 95 pre facelift??? :(

thats just because they are big fat off tyres that will catch every single little nuance in the road surface and be a ##### to live with, i am surprised they arent rubbing on the inside of your arches,

its something you will have to live with of you want them.

as for the vibrations, are they balanced? maybe do them up with a torque wrench just to be safe?

Very funnily enough they ONLY rub when I have family in the back and I'm coming off a speed hump. I tend to take the corners carefully anyway. It's a B**** ferrying around people with the 17's and NO PAS. :(

Balancing I should have done whilst at my cousins tyre service. Seeing as I used his impact gun to do them up. ;)

You should try it with a Gripper LSD......now that's heavy steering and tyre scrubbage when manoeuvring! ;)

you should sell/swap em for something smaller mate, your car must handle like a tractor. Not only that surely it must feel like your gonna topple? Mind u i dont/haven't read your blog, have u lowered it?
What wheels are they mate?

Here's some pics,

08092009524.jpg

08092009526.jpg

13.jpg

I like them and so does everyone else. As for the handling I don't have any noticeable sidewall deflection now. (Y)

I'm going PAS soon.....So all I need to know now is about how to wire in the sensor(s) on the PAS system and to where on a 95 K11 1.0L..????

all I need to know now is about how to wire in the sensor(s) on the PAS system and to where on a 95 K11 1.0L..????[/B]

there,s only the idle control valve i believe (goes near the master cylinder, there,s the wiring plug for it on my base model 94 dot taped onto the loom) :)

It's not an MOT thing. Mine was the same. Kwik fit charged me £25 to track it which was impossible considering the lower arm was twisted, it constantly pulled left and steering felt odd. I eventually tracked it to the wishbone. £47 for a proper japanese part, afterwards the steering was perfect.

Oh btw this isn't me guessing, I can see the wishbone is bent from the pic

Well I appreciate the help Olly. (Y), The steering does tend to wonder around sometimes and now I do think I will change it over when I do my PAS conversion.

The real test is to let go of the wheel at 30, my steering wheel used to spin 1/4 turn to the left.

PAS is horrible, you get no feel... saying that, I was running 185's with a 12 inch steering wheel and no power steering, it was impossible to park

I'll do that test tonight in my carpark!

As for being a pain to park, I'm running 205's and they stick like glue. But also make my car freaking slow! :(

I think 185's are more than enough for standard power and handling. They're actually more expensive than 205's if you want them in the 185/50/13 flavour, rare as ####

I'm hoping to get a car with small enough brakes to fit 10's on. I prefer small wheels to mahoosive ones, each to their own though eh.

The problem is with small sidewall you get a harsher ride, I'm all about the comfort

I'm all about the harsh ride. As I hate passengers! But Yeah If I can swap or sell my 17's I will definitely buy some JDM style deep dish rims. :D

There are a million chavs that'll buy them for their saxo/corsa/clio/fiesta, get some dished 15's, will be schweet

You could but they're countersunk to centre the nuts. It's only 6 spotwelds I think. Talk to frank, he's done it, it'd cost less than a set of alloys for an engineering company to do it. And no need to tell insurance as they are 13 inch steelies

I do like minilites, again, wrong PCD.... seems only vw rims will get you the deep dish with the correct stud pattern

Then I may have to modify my original steelies with the help of someone in the know. Frank if he's not too busy and Can be arsed. :p

I dunno if he would feel comfortable doing it for someone elses car, don't wanna get sued if they break, that's why I said go to an engineer

See now I like that, Is that your work then Frank? :), Also yeah I think I'll get better fuel economy on smaller wheels as well as better steering AND at least I can slam it on Pi Springs. ;)

Back