Variable valve camshaft sprocket - Installation

Good evening all,

I have had to install a new chain to my wife's k12 1.2 auto and all is going well, new chain kit and sprockets are on.

BUT I am not sure about the VVT inlet cam sprocket setup, in the kit it comes in the locked position. This is great as it protects the internal locking pin however:

- Am I supposed to some how release the VVT vaine before installing and running the engine, or does the oil pressure release this?

Being such a huge job, I don't want to take the engine out again if I don't do something I should!!!!!

Many Thanks in advance

Paul

So the vane should be in the retarded position when the engine is stopped but out of the box the VVT sprocket is locked in the advanced position.

I have a feeling that when the engine runs and oil pressure builds the pin should get released to allow vane to lock in the retarded position?

It would be great to get someone else's take on this theory :)

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Frank, with all the searching around I must have dismissed that thread too early. I have spotted the golden comment for me :)

"If you fit a kit complete with NEW pulleys inc the variable one, you Dont need to set it up using the compressed air. You just align the marks and the oil pressure once started will sort it out"

Back