Variable inlet cam sprocket release for timing chain replacement

Hi guys,

I was searching in the forum and found some information about the variable inlet cam sprocket but unfortunately I have a bit different problem so Icreated a new thread.

I am currently (trying) to replace the timing chain of my Micra K12 1.2 (CR12DE engine) and removed all parts and the crappy sealant. As next step, I need to remove the inlet cam sprocket. For this as you know I need to change its position to "most advanced position". I am pressing compressed air into the oil feeding hole and moving the inlet camshaft with an open-end wrench counter-clockwise, seen from crankshaft pulley.
Also tried a plastic hammer and wiggling with the open-end wrech - no chance to release the pin inside of the camshaft inlet sprocket. I realized, while pressing compressed air, that some air is coming out at the area of the bolt and around - where the cam sprocket is bolted to camshaft. Is this normal or is this causing my problem of not being able to release the pin?

Is there any other way to remove the sprocket bolt with the pin in locking position? Maybe fixing the blank middle part of the sprocket/vane carefully with a water pump plier?
Or is it possible to change the timing chain without removing the inlet cam sprocket?

I was told my wifes n16 Almera needed the timing chain done by the dealer, came across the same problem with the cam sprocket.. I did all I could think of but ended up with oil spurting from all around the sprocket.. I was lucky though, while trying to figure out how to do it, I noticed the timing marks were perfectly aligned... turned out the crank position sensor needed cleaned with electrical switch cleaner and the car is fine now. can I ask why your chain needs changed? the engine management light came on in the Almera when it stalled at 30mph it seems to me a dealer will suggest changing the chain as a first response... does your chain have the tensioner on the left and is it extended by less than 20mm? one thing I did find out is the wrong oil can knacker a chain very quickly... it was stipulated on the chain I bought that 10 40 oil is too dense for the pick-up to suply oil to the chain.

you don't need to touch the sprocket when doing the chain, I made a big post on here about changing the timing chain. find it and have a read it may be of some use

On any chain and sprocket set weather they be on a bike or car or powering a lathe.... you should always change them together. They wear together and fitting a new chain to a worn sprocket could introduce binding or worse..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back