Chain - Remove VVT Sprocket?

Hi all, I am currently doing the timing chain on my fiances Micra K12 with the 1.4 (CR14DE) engine. The tensioner is extended 2cm so its definitely due - and on a 23k mile engine!

I have the engine out of the car on my workbench and I am stripping it down as per the Nissan service manual instructions.The manual documents the VVT sprocket removal process involving compressed air which I may be able to do depending on how much juice our compressor has, im yet to check. My question really is does the sprocket need to be locked/removed at all to do the chain? Surely if I remove tension from the chain by retracting or removing the tensioner I will be able to slip the chain off leaving the VVT sprocket insitu?

I am going to be replacing everything except the VVT sprocket hence my questions as I would rather leave well alone than attempt the compressed air cycle.

I have had a search and found some very helpful guides on here (including kennierobos - https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/changing-timing-chain.44522/) but cant find a definitive answer on the above.

Thanks for your help!

Back