Micra .... Variable Valve Timing

as we all know Nissan and Renault are in collaboration to build there cars etc. i was told the new clio will be using the HR16DE engine though when i look at the Renault website i notice the clio will have VVT so does the 160 sr and sport sr have vvt?

im jus curious, if the clio uses the same engine then there will be lots of tuning products for the micra so i am just cusious :D

stephen

no they don't have it as it would be VVL for nissan, means the engine code would be different, HR16DE => HR16VE

it should have had it though

there was a thread that hinted it may have a few degrees of variation but nothing to shout about.

i doubt Renault will use the Nissan engine anyhow.

curiosity killed the cat mate! :D nah i dont no about the engine, but i know that the clio is on a micra chasis or vice versa and the 1.5 dCi engine comes from france (Reno). heard its a bit rusty n needs cleaning up a bit when it gets here in sunderland, just a rumour like, i can't see it being true tho!

I dunno about what platform the K12 micra is built on but I don't think it is the same platform as the current clio (which is the Nissan B-platform). The nissan tiida (versa in USA) rides on an enlarged B-platform and comes fitted with the HR16DE in japan with VTC and the MR16DE and MR18DE in some countries. The HR and MR series engines are the first mass production engines co-designed by Nissan and Renault (ignore what clarkson says, no other nissan petrol engine has been *designed* by renault. I would imagine they've all had a workover courtest of the renault engineers when it comes to tuning and making sure they all conform to the latest environmental emissions standards though. As for diesels, as you've found out alread in this thread nisan doesnt actually make a small diesel under 2.0L so they sourced the 1.5 engine from the french).

Anyway I could be wrong on a few things but I'm 100% certain the HR and MR series are the first Nissan/Renault engines since the merger 8 years ago.

As for the VVT/VVL stuff, its unlikely nissan will make another VE engine. These were a very special SR and should be left in their graves for the glory and respect of which they deserve. No new engine from nissan deserves the VVL badge of honour. :p

Back