Urgent help needed...Key snapped in barrel

I just dropped my son off at his mums tonight and my key snapped off in the barrel and to make matters worse the steering lock is on now and cant be towed, has anyone any advice how i can get part of the key out of the barrel or at least get the steering lock off so i can tow it to my house. my ex lives with her mum and dad and i am partly blocking there drive, oops

my micra is an m reg, its urgent that i get the car moved soon and preferably not on the back of a ow truck as i am skint at the moment and out of work

any tips or advice on the best way to proceed ???

Is there any of the key still sticking out? Enough to get pliers onto it and remove the steering lock?

there isnt enough of the key sticking out, i can see any its stuck in there

how do you brake the steering lock and will it cause long term issues or make the steering dangerous ?

can i do any work on the barrel with basic tools to somehow knock it out

are there any other options ?

just pull like a ##### on the steering wheel and it should break the lock, or at least thats how i was told how to do it? might work for your case, should be fine after

how much of the key is in the lock? enough to let a screw driver/the rest of the key turn the lock? sound silly but if you havent already tried it its worth a try. remeber, is the steering lock is on the steering wheel might need a little jiggle whilst trying to turn the key ;)
otherwise i have heard of people putting a small amount (not loads) of superglue on key stub, put it in, wait a few seconds and then pull it out hopefully attached to the other bit of key (Y) but make sure you get the key the right way round by putting the key in in both ways and see which way lets the key go in a bit further (obviously the two bits wont stick together if the surfaces dont meet)
good luck with it mate!

i doubt you will bust the steering lock unless you scaffpole it:eek: and if you cant turn it with the stub of the key or a screwdriver then you need to remove the shearbolts with a centerpunch (arrowed)
attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC11413.JPG
    SDC11413.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 473
i doubt you will bust the steering lock unless you scaffpole it:eek: and if you cant turn it with the stub of the key or a screwdriver then you need to remove the shearbolts with a centerpunch (arrowed)
attachment.php

what does that do ? remove the barrel or remove the steering lock ?

what does that do ? remove the barrel or remove the steering lock ?

it,ll remove the steering lock, and if you remove the screw from the black ignition block (at the end of the barrel) you can turn it with a screwdriver to start the car (and you might be able to shove the broken bit out from inside)

Hmm that sucks, i like the glue idea, if you center out the steering lock then try turn it should ease it (This happens on mine anyway, my steering lock makes key impossible to turn hehe, but center it up and im set!)

Hmm that sucks, i like the glue idea, if you center out the steering lock then try turn it should ease it (This happens on mine anyway, my steering lock makes key impossible to turn hehe, but center it up and im set!)

what does center out the steering lock mean, ive no idea ! ?? centre it up?

Mines been broke in mine for ages, i just use the stub of the key to start it mate, should more than likely work!

same as me
their might be a problem with his one though?
but yeh my key (most of it) is in the lock permanantly and steering lock comes on of as usual--------try pushing key(whats left of it) in to the barrel turn while jigling the steering---and you got nats so no one can drive of
other than that --franks method--

Right sorry about the delay, lost my phone charger, going to attempt to upload directly from my phone now (Y)

Uploads like 0.17mb apparently so bare with it, its just a quick 60 second clip showing you how to easy up the key lock (When steering lock is active, for this i had turned wheels!)

Will Edit When Complete :D

Can we get a picture of the key in the barrel please o_O?

[video=youtube;nHjHmScC_qw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHjHmScC_qw[/video]

when the remainder of the key is in the barrel does it function as normal?

a method ive seen used to get broken keys out of locks is to put a tiny blob of super glue on the end of the key put it in the barrel the correct way , wait a few seconds for glue to dry and simply ppull the key out carefully with broken piece attached, get a new one cut and hey presto sorted.

Yeah thats probably the best option, glue should have enough strength to get the key out.

Basically to quickly explain what im doing, you can see my wheel is turned (start of video) and then i engage steering lock (So im slamming on the left and right side), what you need to do is centerise (Which is slowly do like half way in) and your key should be free of any stiff lock from the steering lock.

Like i said though, if you get a picture on we can directly advise you of what you should do! then it'l be sorted in no time (Y)

Updates: thanks for all the advice guys, i managed to get the steering lock off using a hole punch and hammer to turn those 2 nuts then unscrewed the back of the barrel which im now turning with a screwdriver to start. The snapped key in the barrel is too far in, nothing sticking clear to pull out, i tried the superglue thing first but there just wasnt enough sticking out to stick to

Im starting it with a screwdriver, which i quite like in a way :grinning:

Question: ive taken the old barrel off completly now, is there a way to get the old snapped key out? Can i take it somewhere that would do it? I still have a spare key for the barrel, just a standard key, not a chipped one, as its not imobilised etc.

strip the barrel down yourself carefully
i think their may be a very small hole bottom side to push the broken key back up and out

Back