Ignition Barrel and Key

Some **** has broken into my car (the car i am waiting to pass my test to drive, bunch of *insert expletive here*s)
They have snapped what i am reliably informed is called the ignition barrel (to me it's the place where you put your key and that...) and i am searching for a new one. All the scrapyards near me only have ones for Micras with airbags, which mine doesn't have.. so has anyone got a spare one lying around to help a girl out?

hi there if your car has an immobiliser ie NATS (nissan anti theft) then you will need a key with a keychip (little red thing on the key) , an ignition barrel , the matching NATS box and the matching ECU for the other parts. if one of the four doesnt match up then the engine will not fire up.

you probaly do have nats otherwise your car would'nt be on your driveway still.

is the car insured?

If your car doesn't have the anti theft system, I am currently breaking a non-airbag 1994 Micra that has a barrel with two keys. I could do that for £10 posted for you. You'll need to check if you have NATS first though.

It doesn't have any sort of immobiliser or alarm - its a 1993 model. The only reason they didn't manage to get it away was that i'd unplugged the (i think it's called the) distributor? on the advice of my mate for that exact reason!
As it turns out, they have done more damage than i thought, and i need the metal bit that goes all the way around, plus the lock part i think tone referred to it as 'a full ignition column' (does that make any sense to anyone - i can post a picture of what i mean later if needs be)
Jasper - would that be a possibility?

Thankyou for your patience in dealing with a completely clueless bird! :oops:

Ok, forget that, my brother seems to think it IS just the barrel and key that i need - so i would love to take you up on that offer if that's ok? I could also do with the plastic switch bit behind, as they have rounded that off with whatever they used to 'try' to start it. :)

OK, turns out the one on my car is no good having been repaired previously in the cars life. It will break when I try to remove it which will render it useless. From the pics Lilatron sent me, she needs the full steering lock assembly with ignition barrel. Does anyone have a non-NATS one kicking around that has come off the car in one piece?

Here are pictures of what it is that is broken :) -
IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0438.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

they,ve had a scaff pole on there eh lilatron ! you may be best to take your parts to a scrap yard and ask them to take one off for you

Looks like i may be sorted for this now - found an intact one at a local scrapyard - just need to work out how to remove the shear bolts without breaking it!

It's a good job i don't rely on my 'charm', believe me :p
No, i am just being impatient, i can sort the tax and insurance on friday, so want to get out and about, practising for my test! :oops:

Back