Barrel/Key/Nats Help!

Zephyr

Ex. Club Member
Hey guys im kinda stuck on this one but which bit does nats read the chip from...reason being...

im just experimenting with a cga ecu n
tried old key = dont work

tried old key(means original barrel)
but the black plastic box thing under the barrel changed to new one (assumed this was the nats thing)
n holding new key next to it while turning old key = dont work

swapping end of the old barrel (the black bit with the connectors)
old key
the new black box with new key agaist it = dont work

the whole new barrel
new key
new black box = works

i would of thought so anyway on #4...

but what im trying to say/do is that i want to use old set of keys(cuz i got a couple as spare that my mum can use) but with the cga ecu (dont say swap locks to cga n use that key) as u can c ive swapped nearly every thing on the old barrel mech apart from actual barrel n it didnt work with old key. is it possible what i want to do? cuz pretend the black box was the nats n worked with old key but holding the cga chip to it. what i would of done is put the cga nats chip from new key in a little box type keyring n keep it hidden in car but use old keys as normal if u get me each time when wanting to start car just get the hidden cga chip hold again barrel n start car. it dont work tho :( help guys? (also dont say dont use the cga ecu reason being i got a cga but no time to put it in yet n when i do im gonna get same problem) getting extra keys made aint cheap at £50 a pop

the Nats code is stored in the key using RFID chip, this chip in energized when you put the key in the lock because there is an inductive coil round the barrel... the chip in the key may also take a ground from the barrel via the key.

try grounding the new key when testing it with the CGA coil and then use the old key to work the lock.

hope this helps ;)

Have you tried senario #4 ?

Doesn't sound like it fwn

When I swapped our Almera engine for a GTi one I had to take the chip from the GTi key and stick it in the old key + swap the ECU (obviously) + swap the imobiliser unit and then do the ol' ON - OFF - ON - OFF ... blip blip with the keyfob for the central locking

Perhaps an obvious question, but ... is the new key coded to the new box ??

The chip doesn't take a ground, it just needs to be by the induction coil, I found this out on my keyless ignition, when the engine has started it doesn't care whether the chip is there or not.

I have a black box, which you can put on, take it to Nissan and they will re-program the key.

yes i have tried #4 n it "works"...but thats using the new key which i said i dont want to do...thats to comfirm that it does work if i stick it as a set n i dont use the keyfob central locking got an aftermarket one
but yes the new key was a full set barrel locks everything

try grounding the new key when testing it with the CGA coil and then use the old key to work the lock.

will try that old barrel/old key - new black box - ground new key near black box while using the old key in barrel

u wrote post same time alien but how much did it cost to recode the key if its more than £50 i might as well get new key made up

i would of thought the key just had to b next to it but it didnt work holding the key/chip next to barrel n using old key...

Zephyr said:
yes i have tried #4 n it "works"...but thats using the new key which i said i dont want to do...thats to comfirm that it does work if i stick it as a set n i dont use the keyfob central locking got an aftermarket one
but yes the new key was a full set barrel locks everything

will try that old barrel/old key - new black box - ground new key near black box while using the old key in barrel

u wrote post same time alien but how much did it cost to recode the key if its more than £50 i might as well get new key made up

i would of thought the key just had to b next to it but it didnt work holding the key/chip next to barrel n using old key...

Nissan wanted way in excess of £100 as it involved them towing the car to a garage, I ended up buying another k11 coz I couldn't be bothered with it.

It works, by having a resistance, that the ECU remembers so when it's in the induction coil it can calculate the resistance of the chip and compare it to the ecu.

bloody NATS lol,

i'm pretty sure it is RFID so the chip in the key contains a unique number,

we use exactly the same stuff at work

er, resistance (of pretty much anything) changed with environmental factors like temperature, crud on the contact etc. Don't think this would be a clever way of doing it...

It might be RFID, but my car's 1998 and it was reasonably fancy technology back then. Mind you, I was designing things like that at uni at that time...

Back