Turbo Spark Plugs - E85

Just wondering what heat range plugs people are running for turbo application and more specifically e85 if anybody has experience in that. Not that it will matter too much, but i'm experiencing a miss under heavy boost on WOT so first port of call is the plugs.

Already gapped at .8 Should i gap them down any further or just go for a different plug? As its running standard spec platinum plugs atm, I know its not ideal.

I use NGK BKR6E-11 (1 grade cooler than stock) on my turbo setup, 1.1mm gap, 10psi 162bhp.
whereas my stock setup would use NGK BKR5E-11

Previous owner of the setup was running 7's, he didn't seem to have dramas so ill try that out. Pollyp- are you running pump or ethanol?

I changed the plugs. No dice although i much prefer the 7's for safety's sake. I then swapped the 350kpa fuel reg for a 300kpa one and it has all but solved my problem. I did think it was fuel cut, but I thought the 255lph pump would be supplying well more than needed even with the larger reg.

I can't take credit for the build Plattsy a member on here but is more active on the aussie forums. Put in the hard yards i will just improve on it in the coming months. More than happy to put some pics and deets up as soon as I get a chance. Was dyno'd on plattsy's car at 169kw. Will be getting a retune in the near future so will post results/loss/improvements. Will start a thread eventually

I can't take credit for the build Plattsy a member on here but is more active on the aussie forums. Put in the hard yards i will just improve on it in the coming months. More than happy to put some pics and deets up as soon as I get a chance. Was dyno'd on plattsy's car at 169kw. Will be getting a retune in the near future so will post results/loss/improvements. Will start a thread eventually

What size injectors are fitted?

That could be pretty interesting if you go to a different dyno operator for the re-tune.

heard that no two dyno's read exactly the same.

even the same car on the same dyno on same day will give slightly different results as every minute tiny parameter changes over time (fluid/air temps, viscosity, friction, etc)

trying to maintain the exact same conditions for every dyno run such as waiting for all temps to cool down or using the same equipment helps ensure more accurate consistant comparable results to aid better tuning.

heh :) e85 is a hell of an octane hike tho eh, you can run a far more aggressive sparkmap and run near stoich a/f/r,s with it i guess

Forget about dynos and tuning and simply calculate how big the injectors need to be. It'll make perfect sense after :)

heard that no two dyno's read exactly the same.

even the same car on the same dyno on same day will give slightly different results as every minute tiny parameter changes over time (fluid/air temps, viscosity, friction, etc)

trying to maintain the exact same conditions for every dyno run such as waiting for all temps to cool down or using the same equipment helps ensure more accurate consistant comparable results to aid better tuning.
rule of thumb is 2 x atmospheric (1 bar) = 2 x the power tho surely paul ? hence the factory glanza 1331 cc figures of 85hp n/a and 131hp @ 9psi iirc
i dont blame the dyno operators, they dont want an empty workshop :)

Forget about dynos and tuning and simply calculate how big the injectors need to be. It'll make perfect sense after :)
all i,m saying is that much higher octane of e85 allows you to achieve more than 2 x stock power @ 1 bar (with less boost enrichment) dave :)

As right as you may be about the inflated dyno figure. I still think from driving the car that it is in the region of~120-130kw at least. More than 3 times factory wheel horsepower (a bunch of stocko micras here were recently dynod @ 40ish fwkw) is still very impressive on an unopened engine. Head studs, a multi layer gasket, bigger injectors and maybe some bottom end work and it should see some really nice results. If i was really concerned about the power figure i'd still be driving an evo.

And yes Frank, e85 is magical. Definitely the future of performance.

Also, I didn't come here to play the dyno figure game. I take that figure with a grain of salt as you all do, all i know is there is a video online of the dyno run. showing the car on the dyno and a figure on the screen after the run. I was just meaning to say that this is that same setup.

120kw would be pretty much spot on based on the injector size and rail pressure.

I was worried you would be disappointed when 50fwkw suddenly evaporated upon taking it for a re-tune. The car will still drive the same regardless of the 'number'. A lot of people get very very passionate about such things and completely lose focus.

I actually sized a set of injectors for my car and in order to run E85 using the fuelflex capabilities of my other ecu, I'd need to fit at least 700cc/min injectors.

Nah definitely not. I know what dynos and their operators can be like and to be honest i didnt buy the setup because of the quoted power figure. I bought it because it was already done which saved me money on fabrication, ecu etc and because the look on peoples face when a girls car goes zutututu is priceless.

Nah definitely not. I know what dynos and their operators can be like and to be honest i didnt buy the setup because of the quoted power figure. I bought it because it was already done which saved me money on fabrication, ecu etc and because the look on peoples face when a girls car goes zutututu is priceless.

+1 on the ownership

I bought mine for the potential it has and ultimately to stop it being broken for parts. I love how it drives and how people react to it too, it's quite comical at times ;)

By contrast I love my daily standard 1.3GX as it is a polar opposite and makes the switch all the more enjoyable.

Back