Turbo Setup ==================

Thanks for telling me before frank I should have marked it with black ink rather then took a guess and welded it

I remember my first turbo bike on the ma10, thought I was being clever and save time and built everything on the bench, then when it came to fitting it all, realised nothing fits and redesigned from scratch again, lol,
I've learnt from that on this new build, but nothing goes to plan first time round :D
Part of the fun!

Here my mani that I made

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374399540.723410.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374399561.285621.jpg

Even after making this manifold, and test fitting and measuring, I found that I needed to tweek some (with big trusty hammer) stuff for the turbo to fit

9yjubavu.jpg

Polly it's touching the block under the dipstick , it's my turbo housing plate which it hits that block needs 1 inch cut that's all polly, and my car is t reg no air con, I can pull alternator down and make bracket to fit? Then I need a custom longer bent?
ajuby8yp.jpg
u5esutaz.jpg
jypysedu.jpg

polly I grinded it as u can see and now it sits fine but what do I do abt the elbow fitting ? and wiring a s14 maf

Azzydot, F--K me man didnt you measure here and there for the turbo clearance, i mean its all too close to the block!!, does the dipstick fit properly, i.e. does it foul anywhere on the turbo, what about the elbow, is it gonna be fouling too? id say forget about the S14a maf for now and get everything to fit up without fouling and worry about minor things later! looks like your trubo is water cooled, is there space for any banjo water connectors to fit to the cartridge housing of the turbo to help cool it? also oil pipes from cartridge to the oil sump?

J

No frank did tell me to check and tig it in place but I didn't just welded it and now I had to cut 1 inch for turbo to fit in place, can that cause any damage to turbo ?

well no damage, but in the long run bad running for turbo in the sence that the cold side is very close to the block meaning that cold will turn hot, the block gets really hot doesnt it? so aluminium get hot quick! so where as you need cold air flowing from intercooler to throttlebody it may not be that cold thus losing power? correct me if im wrong !

J

Just had another look Azzydot, you have the turbo in that position, and the alternator is in the way, i cant see how your gonna fit an airfilter to it let alone the alternator being there.......

Double check for its clearance

J

ok, like i did, just sit in front of the car and measure out distances for the intercooler pipes and how you want to route it and what size airfilter is sufficient enought to fit in the tight space and get whats needed, these are obstacles your going thru which i had majorly with my intercooler piping and ive overcomed that so its rough patches at the moment! lol :) the brackets, the ones i use are aircondition brackets which raises my alternator higher and works wonders, i reckon those are your best bet!!! i know it maybe expensive but go to Nissans dealers and get some quotes on the brackets and tensioner!!
and your done!

J

Yes that's what am doing am gona take rad off so it's more easy and put alternater on today so I can see what is what, am thinking of t30r turbo set up next

My model is 1.3 no aircon and I can push it lower for turbo to clear it, then I need a longer belt and a custom bracket ? unless there is other way

ohh sorry stani yours is different but turbo is same ? Did u have longer belts and altnater brackets ? Any pics

Yeah just the turbo that are the same, your altenator looks like it has no chance of fitting. I packed my top mount by about an inch and used a longer belt

Stani, i am still waiting for the 200sx S14a MAF wiring diagram to the throttlebody plug!!! :D

Well thats because i forgot....

So ive just done it there lol

In the above pic you can see where ive put the wires leaving #4 empty:

#1- Green
#2- Black/White
#3- Green/White

Azzydot, go and check this link below, the right hand side picture has the brackets for the alternator that has A/C you can compare both pictures!! go donw the page and there are part numbers to the bits needed, jot them down and call up Nissan and find out some prices!! that should help you if you go into any complications to the alternator section of your car!

http://nissan4u.com/parts/micra/er_...rnator_fitting_and_alternator/illustration_2/

J
using the aircon bracket to lift the alternator wont help tho J, he,s already had to cut the block away behind it (for clearance)

P7210234.JPG

cheers stani!!!, just to clarify!!

the numbers 1, 2, 3 are from the 200SX maf or the micra maf?

like :

Micra T/B plug number 1 - 200sx Maf - Green
Micra T/B Plug number 2 - 200sx Maf - Black/White
Micra T/B Plug number 3 - 200sx Maf - Green/White

am sure that is right above stani?

cheers

J

cheers stani!!!, just to clarify!!

the numbers 1, 2, 3 are from the 200SX maf or the micra maf?

like :

Micra T/B plug number 1 - 200sx Maf - Green
Micra T/B Plug number 2 - 200sx Maf - Black/White
Micra T/B Plug number 3 - 200sx Maf - Green/White

am sure that is right above stani?

cheers

J

Its really simple, the plug in the picture is the 200sx one. If you look at the way the plug is facing in pic ive used the 3 right hand pins. So put in 3 long enough wires, furthest to the left goes to the green wire on the micra plug, middle goes to the black/white and furthest to the right goes to the green/white

Its really simple, the plug in the picture is the 200sx one. If you look at the way the plug is facing in pic ive used the 3 right hand pins. So put in 3 long enough wires, furthest to the left goes to the green wire on the micra plug, middle goes to the black/white and furthest to the right goes to the green/white

SHWEEEEEET, got it, didn realise the numbering to what plug!! but understood!! CHEEEERS Mate!!! will make up a lead tommorow, just to get it all ready!!

@ frank, i like the way you done your turbo manifold, nice and clean, and simple looking!!

J

sadly, J (and others) has to be wet-nursed and spoon-fed andy :rolleyes:

you know im one of those w--kers who would ask rather than search and read, but i do recall that no thinking!! but on the other hand if water was to get into the housing would it make it a problem?

heres another question frank!! would it be possible to fit a speedo gear in a facelift gearbox and fit that into a pre-facelift model mirca to have it working as normal? i know the facelift is electronic speedo but where the electronic speedo unit on the gearbox, could that be taken off and swapped?

J

polly said the speedo drive is a slightly different dia J, but he retrofitted his no probs iirc

Ah, was it the case of putting some silicone around the speedo gear to hold it in place? cos i remember you once mentioned that the facelift 1.0ltr gearbox is a higher ratio than the 1.0ltr pre-facelift gearbox giving it a quicker 0-60 iirc, am presuming the gearboxes are a straight swap over frank?

J

What is the advantage of using S14a Maf, and can you just install it without any other modification (Will ecu recognise it?)

you know im one of those w--kers who would ask rather than search and read, but i do recall that no thinking!! but on the other hand if water was to get into the housing would it make it a problem?

heres another question frank!! would it be possible to fit a speedo gear in a facelift gearbox and fit that into a pre-facelift model mirca to have it working as normal? i know the facelift is electronic speedo but where the electronic speedo unit on the gearbox, could that be taken off and swapped?

J

I have a similar problem. The pre facelift speedo gear seem to be a lot smaller. There are two different sizes of the manual speedo, the second is slightly bigger and can be made to fit as polly did.

What is the advantage of using S14a Maf, and can you just install it without any other modification (Will ecu recognise it?)

The advantage of using the S14a 200sx Maf over the micra maf is that it measures more air with higher flow rate injectors to compensate a good air to fuel ratio, the micra maf isnt capable to work well in the turbo build application and will hold back in revs!! So if building a turbo then you WILL need the S14a maf modd somewhere on the turbo piping regardless!

J

The advantage of using the S14a 200sx Maf over the micra maf is that it measures more air with higher flow rate injectors to compensate a good air to fuel ratio, the micra maf isnt capable to work well in the turbo build application and will hold back in revs!! So if building a turbo then you WILL need the S14a maf modd somewhere on the turbo piping regardless!

J
Can you install S14a Maf without any other modification (Will ecu recognise it?)

My stock TB maf handled boost fine up until a point (high towards the limit - which you don't really need to be in anyway when running boost), it ran with no issues whatsoever for a good few years and still would be.

Obviously mines not running a turbo but i'd expect a similar result for turbo setups running 5-7psi.

I have now swapped out for a bigger one (mainly to see the difference / give space for more boost), but it still needed the piggyback adjusting the range so the normal ecu knew what the hell was going on.

You deffo can't just plug it in and expect the car to work. :)

a bigger maf will give more headroom at 150hp + but you lose some resolution at the lower voltages tho (where the engine spends 95% of its life)
same applies to uprated fuelpumps, 95% of the time its just circulating huge quantities of petrol around and around the system :rolleyes:

a bigger maf will give more headroom at 150hp + but you lose some resolution at the lower voltages tho (where the engine spends 95% of its life)
same applies to uprated fuelpumps, 95% of the time its just circulating huge quantities of petrol around and around the system :rolleyes:
Never knew that. Fountain of knowledge you!

My stock TB maf handled boost fine up until a point (high towards the limit - which you don't really need to be in anyway when running boost), it ran with no issues whatsoever for a good few years and still would be.

Obviously mines not running a turbo but i'd expect a similar result for turbo setups running 5-7psi.

I have now swapped out for a bigger one (mainly to see the difference / give space for more boost), but it still needed the piggyback adjusting the range so the normal ecu knew what the hell was going on.

You deffo can't just plug it in and expect the car to work. :)

Can you tell me what adjusting the range on piggyback involves ?

Back