• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

The 1.3 Turbo Battle####

That the super s bumper I spent days carefully fibre-glassing and spraying to allow more air to the IC ? ;D
edit: but at least there is some of it left which is more than can be said for the rear one eh :D
Don't worry you still get bonus points for building the car, I just drive it. :D haha, yes the rear one is long gone. I spent 10 mins. Sorry. I did actually say when I was doing it that you were going to kill me. My oil, bay and engine temps have reduced dramatically

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Don't worry you still get bonus points for building the car, I just drive it. :D haha, yes the rear one is long gone. I spent 10 mins. Sorry. I did actually say when I was doing it that you were going to kill me. My oil, bay and engine temps have reduced dramatically

Haha... You flatter me with lies

luvely pics

my 200mm full-face organic helix clutch handles the 160ftlb 160bhp on track no prob at all nowadays, and that's only using 50% of the surface cos my flywheel was machined concave.
so 150ftlb should be a pieceapizz.

the ceramic paddles are a very hard tough material so will hardly wear but it will indeed chew through the softer steel flywheel/PP especially when it's abused on a drag strip or track

scaled.php

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-50#post-509270

suppose the paddle arrangement promotes a harder high-pressure bite but during traffic jams it tends to shudder/chatter during slippage.

I used to have a thin ultra-light JUN flywheel and although it reduced the time for the rpm to blip during heel toe and for the rpm to drop fast during up shifts, it had a very limited heat-soak, heat-sink capacity. so coupled with a small-area paddle clutch it was more likely to overheat quickly and glaze permanently under intense stress.

with the 8kg stock flywheel here I just get used to waiting for the fly to gradually slow down during upshifting.

Sorry paul never saw this! We should be pushing 200 odd hp/ftlb this year so need a bit more grunt.
Yeah I get the feeling I will just get used to it being a bit heavier.

Well... Uni is done... And I got a 2:1 with honours... Bit of a kick in the teeth as I was well on to a first until something went tits up.. Nvm. So the turbo... The car has a clutch ready to go in, unrated bearings, going to get a lower strut brace. Needs it's Geo set up. The car is going to be focused for track and then will be given to bethan.. I will hit 200 then I will be going to a pulsar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well... Uni is done... And I got a 2:1 with honours... Bit of a kick in the teeth as I was well on to a first until something went tits up.. Nvm. So the turbo... The car has a clutch ready to go in, unrated bearings, going to get a lower strut brace. Needs it's Geo set up. The car is going to be focused for track and then will be given to bethan.. I will hit 200 then I will be going to a pulsar.

Could aways be given to me? I can give you more love than she will ever give you. ;)

Last edited:

Well done :) if you don't mind me asking, what course and where was it that you did it? I'm uni searching at the mo

Congrats on the 2:1, better than my drinkers degree (2:2).

From now on, the grade you got will made little to no difference to further education and even less in the world of work.

Well done :) if you don't mind me asking, what course and where was it that you did it? I'm uni searching at the mo
huggyy boiiii, thanks man, of course I dont. noddie and I went to Oxford Brookes together, so you might wanna ask for his opinion too. I really like Brookes, the lecturers are very down to earth and all of them it seems are involved in the industry and how real life ability which is great; I think they have a policy for lecturers to have on going employment in the field. I did a course in Networking Engineering, I would personally not go to University knowing what I know now. I am not a theory boy, more of a hands on type and I could of worked my way up the ranks for that really. Having a degree however just makes life easy when applying for a job.

Congratulation man. What you going to do now? Find a real job or carry on master degree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be going back to work mate, I came from a real job, I was self employed and made a happy + average so that may be on the cards. I do however enjoy the luxury of monthly payments and lack of seasonal fluctuation so I may just be boring and get a job for someone else :D Masters, I was invited back to trial a new course in a year... we shall see what happens; I would ideally like for someone else to pay for it mind.

Congrats on the 2:1, better than my drinkers degree (2:2).

From now on, the grade you got will made little to no difference to further education and even less in the world of work.
Yeah I know that one mate, its just a prerequisite to get the foot in the door for interviews... only reason I went to Uni! Thank you mate, much appreciated. Yeah I do find it funny I have just spent 30K on educating myself just to get myself 'in the door'..stupid

Oh, I forgot, I am building in a computer to the turbo and using a bunch of arduinos to build some nifty sensors and some input from the odp port. basically a dashboard computer and digital gauges and some custom systems... really looking forward to this tbh and hope to make some good systems. bla bla bla, ideas are great and chat is wonderful, but lets see some results and see what happens over the next few weeks.

This is going to be very random, but I will be starting a hydroponics system and wondered if people are interested; basically I will be growing fruit and vegetables in a controlled environment using fish as nitrate producer.

Very random indeed Chris

Adding my congrats to your uni work and result :)

Sounds like you're almost building an ecu with a screen... now that'd be epic

Oh, I forgot, I am building in a computer to the turbo and using a bunch of arduinos to build some nifty sensors and some input from the odp port. basically a dashboard computer and digital gauges and some custom systems... really looking forward to this tbh and hope to make some good systems. bla bla bla, ideas are great and chat is wonderful, but lets see some results and see what happens over the next few weeks.

I was thinking of programming an arduino to datalog various telemetrys of the car during trackdays like usual coolant/oil temp, oil pressure, air temp, position, but also tyre temp distribution, susp travel, susp loading, steering angle bla bla bla before implementing it into a 3D virtual replay tool to make sense of it all.
but have yet to find the time n money n knowledge away from busy work to do it. will be speaking to you with ur compu specialty bout it at JAE ;)

Very random indeed Chris

Adding my congrats to your uni work and result :)

Sounds like you're almost building an ecu with a screen... now that'd be epic

Well I don't know, you might be interested in self growing fruit and veg...possibly fish! Really looking forward to it. I may create a thread here. Bit far away from cars but hey, its giving back to the planet as the turbo drinks huge amounts of fossil fuel.

Pretty much but not as technical and as wonderful as a ECU.

Thank you re uni man :)

Congrats on finishing uni ;)

Ooooh, in car computer?
That would be sweet with an lcars interface :p

Edit: ...and your own hydroponics bay?
I gotta stop watching star trek ^_^

Congrats on finishing uni ;)

Ooooh, in car computer?
That would be sweet with an lcars interface :p

Edit: ...and your own hydroponics bay?
I gotta stop watching star trek ^_^
Indeed... lol I will great you a star trek based theme for you to oogle... yes a hydrophonics bay lol... ur a dork

huggyy boiiii, thanks man, of course I dont. noddie and I went to Oxford Brookes together, so you might wanna ask for his opinion too. I really like Brookes, the lecturers are very down to earth and all of them it seems are involved in the industry and how real life ability which is great; I think they have a policy for lecturers to have on going employment in the field. I did a course in Networking Engineering, I would personally not go to University knowing what I know now. I am not a theory boy, more of a hands on type and I could of worked my way up the ranks for that really. Having a degree however just makes life easy when applying for a job.

Yeah I'm looking at the motorsports technology one they do, more hands on... Theory bores me far too much :p Would rather not go to uni, but every employer wants one

Yeah I'm looking at the motorsports technology one they do, more hands on... Theory bores me far too much :p Would rather not go to uni, but every employer wants one
You cannot avoid the theory which is pants really, @Noddie did Motorsport at brookes. I hear very good things about the course there and its apparently very rated in the world.

I did automotive but pretty much the same as Motorsport, just a more respectable title. Don't do it unless you really enjoy maths (which I do :D) and expect to give your life to the degree for the second and third year if you want a decent grade.

Well I don't know, you might be interested in self growing fruit and veg...possibly fish! Really looking forward to it. I may create a thread here. Bit far away from cars but hey, its giving back to the planet as the turbo drinks huge amounts of fossil fuel.

Pretty much but not as technical and as wonderful as a ECU.

Thank you re uni man :)
Its interesting enough to warrant a thread. I'd be interested to see it develop :)

Thanks man, there may be some actual updates in the future re. the car, as time is generally more available now woo! hows your motor going, how has the series been too? results?
Going well touch wood mate, managed a first in class on the first day of the manx classic so was chuffed with that! Should have had another but it's race politics and I was happy to beat all my best times to date :)

Oxford Brookes! That's where my girlfriend wants to go, if she can get the grades she needs this summer. Small world ;)
Congratulations mate, looking forward to seeing what comes of the turbo now!

'Sent from my bed using paper planes'

Did Motorsport design at uws in Scotland completely rubbish learnt more from guys in the class than the lecturers they were clueless. Head lecturer had taken part in 1 hillclimb and a sprint and drove a diahatsu.

Did Motorsport design at uws in Scotland completely rubbish learnt more from guys in the class than the lecturers they were clueless. Head lecturer had taken part in 1 hillclimb and a sprint and drove a diahatsu.
What, things like how red brake calipers give 25kw?

My degree was very worth while! I learnt huge amounts about design and analysis. Just don't expect to be ripping cars apart and messing about getting all oily. Its maths and computer simulation. But that is the reality of engineering. If you want to be a grease monkey then do an apprenticeship :)

I think your problem was more down to inappropriate choice of course dude. The reasoning that he has done 1 hill climb and that he drives a diahatsu...you need to rethink this one, you drive a micra; overall these points have nothing to do with how good the course was.

Back