Drowned micra help

Ok my mum drove her micra through a large puddle the other day and water definatly got into the airfilter it coughed and splutted and she got it to a town she then called my dad to go down and look at it with a mechanic and it wouldnt turn over. and when it did it was only firing on 3 cylinders and cutting out.

Its now been left two days and we went to pick it up and it turned over second time and sounded ok (not perfect but ok) Its firing on all 4 cylinders now, although it wasnt idilling we got it back home (12 miles ish) first 10 mile were fine last two were a bit lumpy. it wont tick over again now only tried once (due to rain)and could potentially be the battery)

so symptoms now are all four cylinders fireing but no idle.

any ideas on what it could be?

Oh and I will add she went and bought a new micra today (before going to pick the old one up) so the old one is now mine just need to get it running right.

Ive not driven it yet as my dad drove it back (I had my car) i will see how it feels tomorrow. it was obviously down on power when it started juddering again but other than that im not sure yet. ill check the dizzy tomorow weather permitting.

ive heard of removing the spark plugs and start the engine to force any water out that may potentially be in there.

ideally you take the plugs out when you found it would,nt turn over, there wont be any water left in the cylinders now tho :)

ok so today I had a wee look before getting soaked by the rain.

the engine is totally standard so I had a look in the airbox (the filter was removed after the incident as it was soaked so water definatly got into it. there was some moisture in the airbox but no puddles. I fired it up and it started first time sounded normal with the exception of the idle which keeps dropping so Ikept constant revs on it at 1100rpm so just above idle and it sounded fine. I switched it off and had another weelook about nothing has gotten unplugged or anything I checked the leads comming off the distributor and they all looked fine.

it started raining heavy when I was lookingat how toget the throttle bodie off to look so had to cut it short. tried starting it again the crank was turning but no spark so think the plugs may be ####ed? any other ideas what would cause this?

same happened yesterday work fine first time and second time it wouldnt fire up but was turning.

Definitely sounds electrical. I'd check your HT leads and coil connections. Obviously make sure your air filter is dry. If it had hydro'd, it wouldn't sound fine at all at 1100rpm....
Check for corrosion on all the connections (inside HT leads), make sure your spark plugs are ok (if they look ok, chances are they are ok).

I had a good look today and its now running and fireing up fine after changing the spark plugs. just not idling perfect yet but its not stalling anymore.

ive found a random plug under the battery tray and wondered where iyts came from or what its for?
Its green and black wires going into a brown (maybe black) plug. itcant be pulled outbu much so its very limited what it could connect too.

Back