• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

The 1.3 Turbo Battle####

I think the only way to really learn is to get out and do it. Suspension for example isn't calculable or predictable and you can really use experience to make a judgment.

Engineering wise Ed's right its all computers these days. CAD instead of the string computer, though I still use a string computer. Not something you'll be taught these days :/

I think the only way to really learn is to get out and do it. Suspension for example isn't calculable or predictable and you can really use experience to make a judgment.

Engineering wise Ed's right its all computers these days. CAD instead of the string computer, though I still use a string computer. Not something you'll be taught these days :/
ERM I think that's half and half. I prefer hands on. But sometimes progressing past a certain point requires the theory work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Plus its good having both because you can be the one to do the calculations but still appreciate the real world implications of the design and build.

Definitely half and half, best if you have them evenly interspersed too.
but impossible if you want to complete your degree in 3 years eh.
Andy, I guarantee that some of the stuff I learnt at uni would help you do suspension setup quicker and more accurately. Big race teams rely very heavily on dynamic simulation for setup optimisation for a reason IMO :)

Probably so Ed as things have moved on so fast. One example being the shock dynamometer which I rely on, but no computer can ever predict "the perfect setup" as to quote Allan Stainforth "you never take the same corner twice"
Theory relies on facts n figures to be comparable and you can never get 2 corners the same for said info

For those shooting me down saying half n half... hence my mention of the string computer. That is CAD in its earliest format that is the theory... but to make sense of the theory you've got to know what you're doing and feel the effects :)

I'm by no means dismissing your hard work. Well done seriously. Uni isn't something I could stand despite being an academic person.

I do hope your knowledge leads to the next development in motor sport or your chosen field :)

Probably so Ed as things have moved on so fast. One example being the shock dynamometer which I rely on, but no computer can ever predict "the perfect setup" as to quote Allan Stainforth "you never take the same corner twice"
Theory relies on facts n figures to be comparable and you can never get 2 corners the same for said info

For those shooting me down saying half n half... hence my mention of the string computer. That is CAD in its earliest format that is the theory... but to make sense of the theory you've got to know what you're doing and feel the effects :)

I didn't realise I was shooting at you dude. I am just chatting but like just real world application in general re the theory vs practica. Its just handy to have both

I didn't realise I was shooting at you dude. I am just chatting but like just real world application in general re the theory vs practica. Its just handy to have both

Maybe just how I read it.
Research and Development is literally theory and practice in different words :)
But honestly. I only say the get out n learn about suspension because it isn't predictable. You can only rely on previous results etc to make educated decisions. Thats the differences in F1 for example. If computers calculated the "right setup" all the cars would be the same which they're not :)

Maybe just how I read it.
Research and Development is literally theory and practice in different words :)
But honestly. I only say the get out n learn about suspension because it isn't predictable. You can only rely on previous results etc to make educated decisions. Thats the differences in F1 for example. If computers calculated the "right setup" all the cars would be the same which they're not :)
You just want a fight. Meanie. At the end of the day you need both ey.

I am the assistant director of a national organisation supporting schools and colleges, and yet I 'just' drive a 11 year old MGZR. Why? I could get something 'sport' but why? The MG does everything I want, a good drive, loads of space to fit all our spares on events, old enough to not worry when blatting down narrow lanes, and all my spare cash goes into either doing events, or developing the Micra.

If i wasn't rallying I could afford a very flashy 'sport' type Merc or the alike

A flash car isn't a priority for all..... RALLYING is the priority!

A flash car isn't a priority for all..... RALLYING is the priority!
A point well made
Someone compared a 60plate Merc to a 30 year old micra
Safe to say he didn't take the "you're just showing off" comments well and declared us all jealous, ill working, immature primates or something like that

Got 6x4ft trailer... Bam... Bought front lower strut brace...bam... Uppers are for pretty boys with go slow cars...bought clutch alignment tool... BAM... Bought tow bar and electrics...BAAAMMMM... Commence rigid turbo battleship utility vehicle class...

Got 6x4ft trailer... Bam... Bought front lower strut brace...bam... Uppers are for pretty boys with go slow cars...bought clutch alignment tool... BAM... Bought tow bar and electrics...BAAAMMMM... Commence rigid turbo battleship utility vehicle class...

I shall hereby be known as Capt Pretty Slow ;)

etaryhug.jpg
presenting... Trailer... I think I am going to paint it battleship grey...

You know it would be boring without me. My clutch alignment tool has turned up and just bought 3x50ml of 270 loctite.. For price of one Bam.

Tow easy bar my arse.. I hate fitting tow bar things.. It appears that my shell is bent to buggery....

Back