Starter motor gone?

Yesterday i took off and replaced the alternator and other belt, i then started and ran the engine for a little while, reving it up to red-line a couple of times.
Now, today, when i cranked over the engine with my standalone connect up to it. The engine cranked over, then stopped momentaraly then started to crank again and so on... when the engine stopped momentaraly the dash lights dimmed as did the in cabin light (which makes me think that the starter motor was still trying to draw current). When i checked the belts they were very tight, so i have now loosened them but the engine still wont crank right (possibly a bit better though)
My questions is:
have a done in the starter motor by making the belts too tight? or may i have done other damage? bit stumped :S
Thanks in advance (Y)

That sounds like the battery or electrical problem not the starter motor because the starter motor will either just click like the battery is stone dead or turn over with a loud whizzing sound. I'd check the battery and make sure the wires on the alternator aren't touching eachother seeing as you was working around it.

pretty sure its not the battery, but i know what you mean. the reason i thought it could have been the starter motor is if the belts had been to tight and somthing had seized then it may have put extra strain on it. anyway, got tom off work so il sort it:D

Just spoken to my dad and he recons it could be that its firing on the compression stroke:S il swap the ecus back tom and check that threory first.

sorry frank, missed your first post. yeah, seems likely eh? not good if it is, hope it hasnt bent the conrods or somthing... you might be giving me a hand to fit a new engine:D
Il fit the micra ecu first of all just to check. then il re-fit the hawk and take the injector plugs off so there are no more unwanted explosions and check the timing. thank you very much for the help guys!:D

no it wont have hydraulic,d ed, you may need to retard that cps eh, (unless the hawk ignition map can be retarded ?)

Couldnt help testing the theory, and looks like it was the timing, its now running on the micra ecu, sounds fine so hopefully no damage done(Y) PHEW!

Back