Starter Motor Problem - Solenoid

T

Tesla

On the old forums i made a thread just before it went tits up that was along the lines of the following so apologies if you have previously read the old one or contributed in it which i missed :(

My K10 sometimes has a problem with starting. It makes the sound that would occur if you just held the key on even after the engine had started. The screeching sound.

However, when the sound occurs it occurs straight away. i.e. turn key and then the screech, the engine does not even purr to start.

It doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes if it does happen then it can happen 3-4times in a row!

I have limited knowledge with cars and the K10 is the first one I have ever really looked at. I took the starter motor out and give it a clean over. It seemed in good condition and the flywheel teeth were not worn.

Someone has said to me that the solenoid is probably at fault, this is the bit "stuck" to the side of the starter isnt it?

Can I just replace the solenoid or should I find a whole new/breaker job starter. How much would a starter likely to cost?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Same ting happens to me the odd time, didnt tink anytin of it coz it still runs perfect.The noise duznt sound healthy at all tho, im curious if any1 has anytin to say myself!

The starter cogs are worn, idealy you need to change the starter motor.

If i dont will it eventually just stop workin and then ill hav to get a new one? Duz it effect any other part r is it just the starter?

does the engine make a clicking noise without even turning over?
something similar is happening to my car at the moment. when i try to start it i turn the key to start and nothing happens bar a clicking noise starts coming from the engine.

RE: RE: Starter Motor Problem - Solenoid

Jonathan said:
something similar is happening to my car at the moment. when i try to start it i turn the key to start and nothing happens bar a clicking noise starts coming from the engine.

You're battery is knackered. The clicking sound is coming from the starter motor.

-Elliot

yes its the starter mine on the super is doing this. but i aint had chance to change it ::S must do it though. think ill do it thurs if i remember

Ok this is an easy one to fix, did it on my own k10 just last month. Here in ireland a starter motor would cost about 10 euro, but you can get them cheaper if you haggle (breakers yard) my car was making the same grinding noise, replaced the starter, 10 min job, 3x 13mm bolts, and 12mm for the wiring, car starts as good as new!!
Be careful doing this job (not trying to be patronising) disconnect the battery (can be some interesting fireworks if it's still connected) and remember to re-connect the earth lead, held to the bottom(awkward) bolt.
Other than that it's easy, even for the beginner!!
have fun!!

Originally posted by Jonathan

You're battery is knackered. The clicking sound is coming from the starter motor.

-Elliot

Yep i will back this up, your batterys going or gone, get a new one before you are left stranded.

thanks very much for the advice. i'm going to try and get a ex-mechanic mate round to have a look at it sometime this week(hopefully go to the scrap yard down the road to get a new starter).

do you really think the battery has gone? everything seems to work(lights ,CD player,washers,etc) just it doesn't turn over.

well my car only cost £170 so its not bad for 6 months hassle free motoring.

thanks again

Yep thanks guys.

I have had the starter out in the past and it wasnt that difficult at all to take out.

Ill see if I can find one from a scrappy? How much do you think they are?

Jonathan said:
thanks very much for the advice. i'm going to try and get a ex-mechanic mate round to have a look at it sometime this week(hopefully go to the scrap yard down the road to get a new starter).

do you really think the battery has gone? everything seems to work(lights ,CD player,washers,etc) just it doesn't turn over.

well my car only cost £170 so its not bad for 6 months hassle free motoring.

thanks again

TBH i dont think this is battery.

i believe this is no spark or fuel supply.

check plugs make sure they are all connected.
check HT's are all ok.
CHECK COIL
check the dizzy is ok.

also u can test by turn the ignition to the second stage (not trying to turn over) and listen for a clicking fuel pump kick in. you can then verify the pump is working ok..

AND DONT DO A DAN. make sure there is petrol in the tank.

it is NOT the battery IMO

If a clicking noise is coming from the engine/transmission area, it is almost certainly the battery. My Skyline is currently in the same position.... very,very,very low charged battery, and won't start at all. I have to charge it up for a long time (The battery came of a V8 Land Rover).

I presume you are able to start the car then? If you are, then it won't be the battery.... but I was just stating that it was the battery as I thought the car wasn't being used.

-Elliot

Attachments

• new car 005 (Custom).jpg
    new car 005 (Custom).jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 456
also u can test by turn the ignition to the second stage (not trying to turn over) and listen for a clicking fuel pump kick in. you can then verify the pump is working ok..

To be an anorak, this only applies to cars with fuel injection, all k10's i've seen have the fuel pump mechanically operated from the engine. this rule would generally apply to the k11 onwards models. I would advise you to check the condition of the battery, this could be causing the problem, as the starter motor needs an awful lot of current to start the car. the anciliaries will still work off the battery because they don't take as much power. they are also powered by the alternator. btw, if ur k10 is an automatic, the "park" sensor could be giving trouble. it gives the same symptoms.

Kev! You'r as well off to replace the starter, as if it's grinding like that the teeth are worn and will eventually damage the flywheel which will also have to be replaced! Save the hassle later on and do the motor now!!

well good news and bad news. the engine runs fine, bad news only after you free the starter motor. the starter is befinately buggered.

/noob mode on/
/beg for help mode on/
how hard is it to change a K10 micra's starter motor?

thanks again
Jonathan

starter.jpg

be this the starter motor?
how hard is it to remove the old one and fit a new one?

The pic is of the starter, as I said previously:

10 min job, 3x 13mm bolts, and 12mm for the wiring, car starts as good as new!!
Be careful doing this job (not trying to be patronising) disconnect the battery (can be some interesting fireworks if it's still connected) and remember to re-connect the earth lead, held to the bottom(awkward) bolt.
Other than that it's easy, even for the beginner!!

The starter is mounted on the gearbox, and the bolts are easily acessed. They are 2 on the top, and one on the bottom, this can be a tricky one to get at and also holds the aforementioned earth wire. If you examiine the engine/gearbox you'll be able to see/figure out where the mounting bolts are.
Best of luck with the job!!
Breno

RE: RE: Starter Motor Problem - Solenoid

James said:
I think I need to do this too, mine tends to grind sometimes :S

I'll get one from a scrappy one day, honest ;)

you won't believe how hard it is to find one.

well i've charged the battery,put more petrol in it,changed the starter motor and still it doesn't work. i am gutted. luckly the mechanic is coming round tomorrow to hopefully sort it out. i'm praying that the battery has gone.

It could be the flywheel thats chewed up.

When I got the clutch done yesterday the garage found that the flywheel was in poor condition so reconditioned it.

That should sort out the starter motor problem I had originally in this thread. It hasn't failed to start yet!

Back