speeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave
I was just driving back from my missus's uni, and i got caught by a speed camera, doing approx 40 in a 30 zone... bearing in mind im not off my probation yet... im guessing this means ive lost my license...

just need some advice, cos I feel that my life is pretty much over at the moment, cos i need my car to get to uni, and the prospect of having a disqualification/ban/re-test over my head scares the hell outta me...

:down:

Spike said:
does anyone know how much over the limit you can be?

well i heard its 5mph, because not speedo is ever as acurate as the other, ever been stuck behind a car n you doin 25 up the arse of them in front? they could be doing 30 but the speedo is out, my mate got done for 43 in a 40, somtimes i just think they have nothing better to do, hope ya get of it with it tho mate, i aint had a car since may n i hate it, be crap with a 12 month ban!

No sympathy, if you need the car that much, then you should have thought about it before speeding.

Only 1 person to blame. You'll still probably just get 3 points

If it was by a camera it will mostly likely be 3 points you will get.

As for the speedos being out. I was on a 60 road and my speedo was readin 60, yet the police claimed they were doing 70 to keep up.

Dunno how that could have happened as I went through one of those radar "Your speed is" things, speedo read 30 and it said I was doing 27.

Spike said:
I was just driving back from my missus's uni, and i got caught by a speed camera, doing approx 40 in a 30 zone... bearing in mind im not off my probation yet... im guessing this means ive lost my license...

just need some advice, cos I feel that my life is pretty much over at the moment, cos i need my car to get to uni, and the prospect of having a disqualification/ban/re-test over my head scares the hell outta me...

:down:

Have you already got points then? Else you'll just end up with 3 points, and have to be very careful until your new drivers act thing is up. I think they allow 10% + 2 over, so in a 30 it would be 35. I can honestly say that I haven't, and won't break the speed limit until my 2 years are up, I am so paranoid about the new drivers act thing.

scottish-sr said:
If it was by a camera it will mostly likely be 3 points you will get.

As for the speedos being out. I was on a 60 road and my speedo was readin 60, yet the police claimed they were doing 70 to keep up.

Dunno how that could have happened as I went through one of those radar "Your speed is" things, speedo read 30 and it said I was doing 27.

Your speedo sounds like it's underreading. fwn

Im a little paranoid about the young drivers thing too.... 11 months to go :glance:

But I am more worried about hitting/killing someone while speeding, because then you're in big trouble... so as soon as you notice your speed is over the limit, dont just shrug it off and check your mirrors for police, think about what happens when someone steps out/pulls out in front of you...

I'm with alienfish, if a car is that important to you why risk it at all, I got 3 points within my first 2 years, learnt my lesson.
You may get lucky and it won't go any further, I've had a camera flash me but nothing hit my letterbox.
If you do, bite the bullet and learn from it.

and if you already have 3 then, it's just being stupid!

Sorry, but that's the truth, but what winds me up is. You need to be careful after 2 years, but what after that? You're ok to drive like an arse coz you won't lose your license on 6 points?

good advice!

If you have got 6 points in the first 2 years of passing your test you WILL loose your licence and be made to resit the whole thing.

As for limits it's 10% plus 3 IIRC.

I know my grandad has 9 points on his for doing 36 in a 30 but then again he'll do 36 in a 40 or 50! LOL

ok, ACPO guidlines for police forces states 10% +2 basically.

You are allowed 6points before you lose your licence (up to two years after taking your test).

A camera won't take your licence off you, it'd send you a summons to court if your near your points limit. The court takes everything into consideration, your life style, your requirements for needing a car... Quite likely instead of giving you the last three points on your licence they'd give you 2 and a hefty fine. Thats if you can show you need to drive to live.

i got done once i was doing 39 in a 30 zone i got 3 points and a £60 fine but now the law has change i dont know what it is now i dont think u will loose yr licence i was i was 19 when i got mine

English boy, speak English. Once you pass your test you have two years probation, if you get six points in that period then you are subject to re-take your test etc...

An sp30 will earn you 3points and a fine, but if you've already got 3 points on your licence a court will have to decided whether you will get the extra 3 points that'll lose you your licence, they may decide that you'll get 2 and a hefty fine or that you'll get 3 and allowed to hold onto your licence, they are well within their rights to give you the three points and ban you however.

my wife last week got done for doing 51 in a 30 so god noes what she will get even though she got a clean license and has been driver for 12 years

my probation was over a few months back. yipee speeding here i come

joking

my grandpa has 9 points. he got one set because he was following an ambulance with his dying brother in the back, 37 in a 30. ask me, he should have been let off with that one, i wouldnt be trundling along at 30 if i knew lora's life was at risk, and ######## to the courts.

he has no excuse for the other 6 though.

My grandad has 3 points. of course its not his fault he has them, its everyone elses lol.

my dad had 3 points, on the very day the points where removed from his license, he got busted, 45 in a 30.

lol noth my grandad and my dad have points as do i.. we all have 3.. my brother will get them im sure :p but i dont blame anyone else i was driving to fast througha speed camera.. as were my dad and grandad!!

james betley said:
the maxium u can have is 6 points get any more and u loose yr licence

No, the maximum is 5. If you get 6, your licence is removed.

Neither is correct.

I'm sorry but if you want clarity on this please see the DVLA website. It feels like I could talk until I'm blue in the face and no-one will take on board what I say. The 6 (for the two years probation) or even 12 point limit is not finite. Technically you could be given 13points by the court and still have a driving licence if they decide you still need your licence.

must have change now of what the maxium u can have

I'd recommend (as MA12 has put) checking the DVLA website in future.

Topic locked. This thread has serviced it's purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back