• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Skinners Sprint Micra

Few more hours tonight, battery is in, few decals on the cage to stop glare and an scratching. Fire extinguisher pulls re routed to hand and electric cut off.

Made a start on the Jap plastic headlights that were quite glazed. 20mins and a tube of toothpaste later seems to be coming up a treat. One down one to go

Also looking at swopping to a light weight side exit exhaust under the drivers side, any experience on materials I'd very welcome. noise levels arnt really an issue :) was thinking just a flexi joint on the standard system to a 52mm Ali tube?

Also looking at swopping to a light weight side exit exhaust under the drivers side, any experience on materials I'd very welcome. noise levels arnt really an issue :) was thinking just a flexi joint on the standard system to a 52mm Ali tube?
ali is ok from the driveshafts back i find paul, it needs to be steel to that point tho, and mine is definitely not loud :)

ali is ok from the driveshafts back i find paul, it needs to be steel to that point tho, and mine is definitely not loud :)

Thanks Frank I'm thinking use the spare flange I have to go a little flexi joint from where cat would be then diagonally out under the drivers seat in 2" straight pipe.

Should save a few kg's

mine follows the tunnel then a 90 deg bend to run behind the heelboard eh paul

P7200060.JPG

Bumper paint touched up for new mesh (destroyed on the last hillclimb and parted company with the car on the third day!)

Battery is on and hooked up to the cut off switch, plenty of power to start the car first turn of the key and only 7kg :)

Rear coilovers on from BSR Racing. Impressed with the fit and finish, replaced the old exhaust rubbers you can see in the pic, sits a lot more level. Went for a quick test run, suspension was fine however the front left caliper had stuck on, the disc was smoking pulling into the drive so soon had the caliper off and piston freed (lack of use!)

Full shake down and a few decent runs in the week are due before my first track day next Sunday

Rear coilovers on from BSR Racing. Impressed with the fit and finish, replaced the old exhaust rubbers you can see in the pic, sits a lot more level. Went for a quick test run, suspension was fine however the front left caliper had stuck on, the disc was smoking pulling into the drive so soon had the caliper off and piston freed (lack of use!)

Very nice. is the dust boot sitting a bit wonky on top of the treaded part though?

Mmm they look delicious and very easy to adjust ride height compared to the cumbersome original spring mount point. Are the lower mount end adjustable for adjusting the bumpstop position like on my bc v1?

Well today went better than I thought :)

Quick briefing and a sighting lap then the sensible ones let the nutters out for a run :)

Had about 1hr 40mins on track thrashing about. Front wheels were scrubbing under load so stiffening the dampers and increased ride height sorted that. A048r tyres I have discovered take a while to get to temp on a light car like a micra. Stiffer front springs and a different tyre choice for the Manx classic next year.

Iv loads of footage I won't bore everyone with but il pick a few good laps to throw onto YouTube

Be sure to let us know when those videos are uploaded Paul
I saw one short clip of you going round a corner. Sounded well :D
Another track day on the list?

Cadwell this October is £79 for the full day, which will be an eventful day out for us, you're always welcome here chap if you want to make it a few days with a trip to cadwell inbetween
Its the peak season where prices get silly

Yeah, when ever I look back at video I always feel so slow (probably am though, with a standard 1.0 :p).

Obviously a fairly nippy little car, looks good :)

Yeah, when ever I look back at video I always feel so slow (probably am though, with a standard 1.0 :p).

Obviously a fairly nippy little car, looks good :)

Was a good day out bud, kept a very similar pace to a 205 Gti so looking forward to being in the hillclimb against him next year

Will do bud, hoping to keep it on a reasonable budget and wire the loom myself :)

Is the plan proper ITB's or using bike carbs and using the standard ECU for sparks?

There is part of me that does think about getting a manifold and bike carbs and running a standard ECU for sparks, should be able to swap around standard inlet (needed for some events we do) and TB and the bike carbs etc... in a couple of hours.

Re the track day, looking good, where was the track?

Still not sure I could face a day driving round with no 'real' competition, but good fun. What i really need to find is a gravel track day, so i can get some more experience / practice on gravel!

Is the plan proper ITB's or using bike carbs and using the standard ECU for sparks?

There is part of me that does think about getting a manifold and bike carbs and running a standard ECU for sparks, should be able to swap around standard inlet (needed for some events we do) and TB and the bike carbs etc... in a couple of hours.

It's already running the bike carbs and standard spark at the minute bud.

Next is stand alone management with bike throttle bodies a similar setup to Mike Jones etc

Yeh there was about 25 cars off and on all day. ( I wanted to stay out of the way of the loonies to be honest so went out when they came back in lol)

Swopping to a carb setup wouldn't take much more than 30mins, I suppose it's getting the standard mani off that eats the time!

Still not sure I could face a day driving round with no 'real' competition
Then you've not understood the purpose of a track day
They're a chance to push to you or the cars physical limits. Where changes and alterations can be made safely to find the right balance between speed and confidence
Once that's achieved you're actually ready for 'real' competition ;)

Ok, cool. What carbs are you running, and what settings as IIRC your engine spec is similar to mine.

New plans sound good.

Yes getting the inlet manifold off doesn't look easy......

Then you've not understood the purpose of a track day
They're a chance to push to you or the cars physical limits. Where changes and alterations can be made safely to find the right balance between speed and confidence
Once that's achieved you're actually ready for 'real' competition ;)

All fair points :) It was more aimed at those who just do track days, for me competition is key to it all.

Ok, cool. What carbs are you running, and what settings as IIRC your engine spec is similar to mine.

New plans sound good.

Yes getting the inlet manifold off doesn't look easy......

Honda Fireblade 900rr carbs from a 1995 model mate. With 1.5mm main jets. (a tad rich to be honest) maybe 1.45 would be better

Very good point, I am all about the PPP=PPP's

But most event I do are not on smooth tracks, so the lanes near here are good enough for a good 'test' and free ;)

Back