Shifters Super S Build Thread

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
Hi guys, this is my build thread for everyone to follow my adventures.

Ive been lazy and have done a fair bit without updating anyone so I'll post up a few things that are already done.

The car is a 1995 Nissan Micra K11 Super S 5 speed with Aircon - Built in the UK with a fair few Km's on the clock but no rust at all.

The paints not great and its got a few dents and scratches.

Plans are: ( In no exact order )

Change oil and filter. - Done
Degrease the engine bay. - Done
Replace any old hoses with silicon. - 1/2 Done
Clean the head - polish? 1/2 Done
Replace stereo. - Done
Fit 4 x new speakers. - Done
Replace intake system. - Done
Look into getting Power Steering?
Look into getting extractors without loosing AC unit?
Look into turbo charging.
Start work on the panels. - Done
Look into exhaust system.
Replace rims. - Done
Replace side indicators with clear ones.
Remove rear wiper and bog the hole - not sure yet?
Purchase PlastiDip in preparation for complete car spray. - Done
Paint car with PlastiDip. - Done

29ea6299-2261-430f-801d-bb3e28920a0a.jpg

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
A quick trip to my local car parts shop and hardware shop was defiantly in order.

$20 worth of PVC pipe with corner pieces
$19 cheap no brand Pod filter
$4 Duct Tape

- Honestly having spending $$$$ in the past on APEXi and K&N systems I've learnt that it makes very little difference.

* I did have some silicon pipe left over that I used for replacing the factory air lines that go into the intake box. *Blue pipes in the images.

I also needed some silicon for connecting onto the top of the throttle body.

It all worked VERY well and is extremely firm with no movement at all.

9792DA70-1677-4A9C-A9F4-85FA5B84FA93-8281-0000058232C8C1CA.jpg

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
Next up was some black paint - made sure we used paint that can handle the heat.

Then plumed back the airline and added a little filter to the small one at the back of the block.

D46EA87D-D5DD-4087-A14F-8E3FF00A2C26-8281-000005820E9B36F6.jpg

All done:

ffb618df-c517-4ed6-8ccc-0a2a82bba9e9.jpg

CMF_Juzzy

» CMF Member
Your gonna plasti dip the whole car?
Youd nearly be on par with a respray doller wise lol, that **** is exy as, 30 a can or something!

Also, get the pod closer to the grille, less hot air that way, or box the pod where it is

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
Yep Plasti Dipping the entire car, already purchased it and its MUCH cheaper than a spray job.

A spray job costs between $1500 and $2500 minimum as quoted by two spray places in Perth.

PlastDip - Going with Black - costs under $500 including all prep work/ bog etc. - stay tuned as I have some picture of my first PlastiDip test.

Cheers for the POD tip, I'll probably have a duct running up into the front of it when I'm done and I'll also throw a heat shield over it.

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
Purchased an exhuast system *Just the rear end for now as I have no idea if this will be Turbo or N/A with extractors in the end.

Purchased a genuine Nismo unit made by Calsonic.

Its located in Japan so its comming via boat ~ 3 - 5 weeks ETA.

220708039.jpg
[/URL]

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
Ok, now the stereo.

The Clarion CD unit that was in the car was dead and for some reason the 12v common cable that ran to it was also dead?

Interior light is dead, so is the clock in the cluster? interesting?! I have no common 12v?!!?

Ohh well time for a new common 12v cable.

* Added extra Negative cable from the battery to the chassis of the car at the same time.

Thought I'd check what speakers where in the doors and back shelf as the car was advertised as having new speakers - with a dead CD player.. weird.

Hmmmm.. Its got new speakers alright.. But geshh some people need a slap around the head.

WHAT THE?
84e5f64c-28c3-4e39-a681-94b6616d5769.jpg

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
Out with the 4" speakers and in with some Pioneer 6" speakers THAT FIT in the front and also in the back - went with simple two ways for now.

Removed CD player and Purchased a JVC Unit brand new for $69 with CD/MP3/RCA Out/Line in/remote etc etc more than enough for this little beast.
351ff4c0-651e-4d02-87ed-c67b3c2730e4.jpg

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
plastidip.png

Got my PlastiDip and its amazing stuff!

Really is as good as they say, its hard to tell by looking at my photos but I've spent a good 12 - 20 Hours sanding down, bogging it up and fixing the rough spots on the car - had a huge hole in the rear bumper that also needed some plastic bog.

Gave all sanded areas a coat in primer last week and also removed the side mirrors for my first test with the dip!

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
Not sure if I will remove the rear window wiper and fill the hole/paint over it or if I'll just keep it? With the Rain we've had in Perth this last month I'm starting to think I should keep it!

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
First attempt to use the PlastiDip went well, I'm using a spray system with a wide spray nozzle - not sure of the exact size I'll post up details on that later.

The secret is to do thin coats and follow the YouTube videos!!

Managed to do both mirrors and its awesome!! It comes out a lot finer than I expected and its extremely forgiving!

My method was to do one fine coat - wait 5 minutes then do a second coat and repeat as many times as needed.

I ended up doing 4 coats and found this to be the perfect amount for each side mirror.

Its rough to the touch and its definitely a mat black finish "as advertised" even in its original colour with no pearlizer or gloss its still got a nice shine to it.

Getting excited about doing the entire car in this stuff!

865c6eb3-fd29-44f6-8c40-c8a825866ff0.jpg

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
After several unsuccessful trips to advertisers on Gumtree who simply don't answer the door after you drive 60Km to pickup an item I FINALLY managed to get some new RIMS!!!

Its surprisingly hard to find some nice 4x100 PCD rims!

Ended up getting 4 x 15" Speedy HoloType-R's with 4 new Roadstone tyres.

Looks great and drives extremely well!!

* Definitely in need of some LOW!!

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
Above picture show that plastiDip worked a treat.

Ive even gone so far as to use it a little bit under the hood.

Its temperature rated to 200 deg but I really doubt this so I'm not going near the block or any exhaust parts.

See below:

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
A quick video of the K11 with a pod attached to the throttle body, no this isn't the way I'm keeping it and yes the bonnet does close still.

Sounds nice!!

*CAI pipe is getting painted.

CMF_Shifter

» CMF Member
bronald WROTE:

"The plastidip looks rad, did you get some in bulk, thin it and gun it, or use cans?

I got cans cheap and did the bulk of it with them - took my time and used 16 cans but I ended up using a proper spray system gravity feed to finish it.

;)

Back