result of my speeding

Spike

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave
As you know, last sunday I was a little "distressed" about me getting flashed (there were other factors but I wont go into that), However, I got my letter today, I was caught doing 37mph in a 30 zone, and as a result i've been invited to attend on of those driver awareness courses and pay the £60.

I thought it was going to be a alot worse, but i'm pleased with the outcome (Y)

nope, but the other factor was someone close to me's 'time', so I was on my way back from my missus's uni, back home to wales... good Karma i suppose

the new thing they ant to do is, 2 points n £30 fine fo just over the limit by a lil bit, and £100 fine n 6 points for excesice speeding! well done on not getting points lol!

That's good 4 u.

But complete rubbish overall. Someone gets £60 fine and 3 points, someone else gets £60 and an invitation to some driver awareness thing.

Whats the point in having road laws, when the outcome of breaking the same thing differs??

yeah, I was happy that I didnt get any points, my mate got caught doing 87mph on a motorway, and he got 3 points and £60 fine, no option, he was a bit gutted that he didnt get the option... but as I told him theres a massive difference between 37 and 87mph

The drivers awareness course may have more impact than 2 or three points. Dont just take it as you've been let off, learn from your mistake instead.

I heard they take things into account, like if you've offended before, how long you've had your license, the time, location etc.

So mine was about 1am, monday morning, through trading estate on the outskirts of Bristol, wouldnt be the same as doing 37 through a busy school area at 8.30

R05_Micra said:
it all depends dont it?! ollie u would be over the moon if u got that rather than 3 points i bet!

Yes I would be over the moon. That's not the point though.

What's the point in having laws when the outcome varies???

Its a bit silly really, ok so the roads may have been different but two same speeds, different penalties... bit stupid really!!! Think they just make it up as they go along lol, depending on how they feel. Then again, what type of camera was yours... mine was a mobile one, so maybe thats where the difference is??

Arnold said:
The drivers awareness course may have more impact than 2 or three points. Dont just take it as you've been let off, learn from your mistake instead.

Yeah, I really am putting it down to just having my head in the shed after everything, and I will learn from that.

I was caught by one of the new style cameras, very tall with a small yellow box on top of them

Spike said:
I heard they take things into account, like if you've offended before, how long you've had your license, the time, location etc.

So mine was about 1am, monday morning, through trading estate on the outskirts of Bristol, wouldnt be the same as doing 37 through a busy school area at 8.30

Yes, but speeding is speeding. It's breaking the law no matter what time of day and where you do it.

I don't get it??

Do they just wake up and think, "well today I'm in a good mood so i'll only give a fine" and tomorrow it'll be, "Everyone's getting fines and points coz I'm having a bad day!"

Its must go on everything, like the area, type of camera, although I think length of time of license held is stupid!!!

ollie240585 said:
Yes, but speeding is speeding. It's breaking the law no matter what time of day and where you do it.

I don't get it??

Do they just wake up and think, "well today I'm in a good mood so i'll only give a fine" and tomorrow it'll be, "Everyone's getting fines and points coz I'm having a bad day!"

Yeah I know that (law student), I know I broke the law, and by that i expect to be punished, i'm not disputing the fact I was speeding, I've never come close before and dont intend to again,

I really dont understand how the system works, or how they work out the fines and stuff, but im glad that im not getting any points

micra man said:
Its must go on everything, like the area, type of camera, although I think length of time of license held is stupid!!!

Sorry but if that's the case then it's a complete pile of edit!!

Speeding is speeding.....outcome should be the same no matter what!

Spike said:
Yeah I know that (law student), I know I broke the law, and by that i expect to be punished, i'm not disputing the fact I was speeding, I've never come close before and dont intend to again,

I really dont understand how the system works, or how they work out the fines and stuff, but im glad that im not getting any points

I am glad you've managed to get away with it. The fact is the system is a pile of poo!!!

Just hope u've learnt to be more aware of limits and the speed you are doing. You might not be so lucky next time!

Although I'm hoping there won't be a next time.

your bloody lucky paul got banned and he had a good reason to speed, make sure you learn from your mistake and dont spead, 30 is 30 for a reason save speeding for the motorway when it late at nite ;)

I think its probably all political.

Looks good for the police authority if they say that 10000 people went on a speed awareness course.

do u not have to pay for this meeting tho when i crashed they said that if they find out by skid marks i was speeding i would have to pay for this drivers course thigy but I wasnt so it was all goood

It's crazy the amount of abuse some people give on here for getting a speeding ticket. I have removed the last two previous posts.

I have had two both at 94mph (apparently - one was impossible the other was true) I'm not proud of it, but some peoples attitudes on here had better change to more constructive posts than feel that if gives them the right to talk to others like this on here.

there's no need for anyone to be pious about speeding,is there any member of this club that can hand on heart say they never go faster than the speed limit on any occasion ?

We all have, we all will, we all take the chance and some get caught, take your punishment, learn from it and laugh about it.

When I got caught was joking with copper about how it's a good job I slowed down for the speed camera of I'd lose my licence.

I learnt my lesson, but if you stop learning you forget, especially when you're overtaking a vehicle whens there's a camera. I got lucky that time!

It's good to hear that the police are doing this. TBH i'd be happy to do that as it's reabilitation of the driver and if their new or young it might knock some sense into her

Whether you get points or enrolled on a course would be more to do with whether there was a course on and whether your speeding was serious enough to warrent points. Slowly people are realising that points aren't really enough of a deterent, a bit of a bump in insurance and having to watch your back if you've got 9 points but apart from that it doesn't effect you.

These driver awareness courses try to scare you into slowing down by showing you what happens if you speed, how your increased confidence at that speed is actually false by showing you how pants reaction times really are etc...

thats no fair i got loads of points and i never got to go on a course, i would have prefered that :(

Good post MA12, it is nice to see that common sense is coming in to the 'speeding system'.

they have been doing this for motorcycles for years and years......its about time that it happened to car drivers too..

is it better to punish the child again and again fearing that they may never stop drawing on the walls?, or teach a child what they can do to prevent it from happening in the first place (ie use paper)?? or at least show them the concequenses of their actions....(ie make them pay for the wall paper)

ive never been caught speeding.......but then i havent been caught picking my nose or scratching my arse either....doesnt mean i dont do it...:suspect:

lol yeh its like that all the time iv tried to get that accross before how the sun shines out of a lot of ppls bums and they do no wrong but I think I recall getting a slating for it...just depends what kind of mood ppl are in I think. If there in a high and mighty mood they go off on one. done it myself a few times :laugh:

just missed out

yo dude. 37 in a 30, well the cameras in a 30 r set to 33mph + 3. so u were 1mph over getting flashed :p

ACPO Guidelines

I'm not breaking the law here as all of this information is available online...

Limit Fixed Penalty Summons
20 mph 25 mph 35 mph
30 mph 35 mph 50 mph
40 mph 46 mph 66 mph
50 mph 57 mph 76 mph
60 mph 68 mph 86 mph
70 mph 79 mph 96 mph
Fixed penalty of
1. £60 (pending)
2. Licence endorsed with 3 penalty points Magisterial discretion (level 2) maximum of:
1. £1000 fine
2. Licence endorsed - range of penalty points available
3. Disqualification
4. Compulsory re-testing

You can read the full report here - http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/speed_enforcement_guidelines_web_v7_foi.doc

Now remember these are guidlines and forces are not obliged to follow them. But hopefully it will end all the half true posts about limits.

now the kid who's thread this is was lucky, and I hope he takes a lot on board when he attends the course.

Pete

P.S. please can people use English, even if it's not perfect could they try and avoid text speak and the like.

alright bud, ur lucky i got flashed twice in the same week, october last year, got 7 points & lost my licence, only got told about it in feb, lost licence & had to sit tests again, only took 3months like, but made a big effect on my insurance & have to lay low now, but back on da road n looking great.

These courses are area dependant, some counties offer them, some don't. A work colleague of mine got caught doing 100 on the motorway in Leeds in the middle of the night, and was told that if he had been caught within a certain limit then he would have had the option to go on one of these courses instead of getting points, but I was caught doing 36 in a 30 in suffolk and didn't get the option.:doh:

If you do get caught then you can check out your local constabuly/safety camera partnership's stance on the situation online, i.e:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=safety+camera+partnership&btnG=Search&meta=

This gives a few of the sites, but each county deals with these things differently so check out the info for your area.

Hope this is of some use, Chris.

Back