Rally K10?

JStone

Ex. Club Member
I know K10's have been used in (and have won) rallys before and considering there are several small rallys a year in this area...I was wondering what might be involved in turning your bog standard MA10 K10 into something fit for rally. First things that spring to mind is exhaust/inlet manifolds, new carbs, suspension, brakes, go faster stripes and anti-rolls bars (+roll cage?). Anything else that'd help?

justin

i dont think a k10 would be competitive imo, you,d be up against twincam injected cars, k10,s are nippy coz they are so light, but add a rollcage and other safety gear (scrutineers are pretty strict, if oval racing is anything to go by) and it would lose its edge

These are pretty much banger rallys, nothing major. Last years winner of the 1200cc class was a Nova, so I would've though It'd be in with a chance. :)

Best bet is to register and get yourself a blue book, that'll tell you what you need to do to your car for the class your wanting to do. I say go for it, I love the idea of seeing racing K10's out there, once the interior is out there's not a lot of car left so it should be quite fun!

I don't think it'd be that competitive to be honest, that's kind of why Nissan built the March Turbo and the March ST so that they had a competitive rally car and these day's I think a March ST would probably get it's a### handed to it in the 1.6litre classes against the new fiesta ST.

the superturbo's were used for rallying i've got laods of pictures somewhere IIRC Ed has some videos as well.

do a search on youtube sure there are vids of rally micra k10's on there

Just had a quick look on youtube and there are a lot of hillclimb vids, the hillclimb class that a K10 would fit into would be the sub 1.4 class so wouldn't they loose out to all the 1.3 16valvers out there?

Just had a quick look on youtube and there are a lot of hillclimb vids, the hillclimb class that a K10 would fit into would be the sub 1.4 class so wouldn't they loose out to all the 1.3 16valvers out there?

not in a superturbo they wouldnt :D

Yeah but an ST would be up against anything up to two litres. Don't forget the ST was designed for the then 1.6 Rally class. So I reckon a pretty good spec Fiesta ST would have it.

Regardless of competitiveness I think you should do it. I'm trying to convince Alex to let me get a K10 which we 'could' use to compete at the local Harwood house hill climb.

but isnt 8 value better accleration then the 16v, so in theory the k10 would be quite good for hill climbing???

well yeah 8 valves are said to have more torque, plus the old school chassis consist of pretty much nothing and the engines i also very light.

dont forget the driver

I think a k10 would stand a chance of being competitive with the right mods, its light,so it has a good power to weight ratio, I think a stripped out k10 with a 5 speed short ratio box and a well tuned fig turbo engine in it and a lightwieght roll cage and front and back strut braces + good suspension to eradicate the roll K10's suffer from and with a skilled driver it should at least compete, especailly on a hill climb - as craig says - weight is bad - so loose it

Back