• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Porks bike carbs and boost project

i think the lpg range rovers had a 1 way catflap thingy (backfire arrest-er ?) neil:)

klep 2.JPG

I've got a rev counter with adjustable shift light, so if I tap into that and set light to come on at 3.5k, that's what il use to control the electromagnetic clutch

Feel free to pick holes in the plan ;)

If you convert to megajolt or go full out and switch to efi then the ecu has several user defined outputs which can control pretty much anything

That recirc 1way valve for the turbo compressor I was on about will mean faster spool rates so you can be less fussy about your turbo choices, because it won't be generating any boost until 3.5k RPM and the turbine will have a healthy supply of exhaust courtousy of low rev supercharger performance... so if you wanted to go for even MORE boost later you'd be in a pretty good place to start ;)

that 2nd diag should work ok neil, and like andy said, just have a reed valve here, a 500 crosser reed valve would big enough
the transition point will probably be the hardest bit to get right, and bear in mind that the s/c will need to be switched off @ idle, cruise and lift (which is about 90% of a daily drive)

1387665896009.jpg

with recirc valve open eaton sc's are apparently 90%+ efficient and have minimal parasitic losses on the engine, so it's not THAT big a deal if it doesn't disconnect at idle etc. the mini engine doesn't disconnect the sc at idle etc.

If its not a car you depend on to get to and from work, I say do whatever gives you the most enjoyment. Otherwise, what's the point?

cute, the way that it can combine the 2 boost sources to achieve 1.5 bar @ 1500 rpm eh neil ! and lambda 1 on boost too !

Having the SC before the turbo means you don't need a recirc loop on the turbo to stop pressure at the compressor bogging the turbo down and restricting the exhaust flow through the turbo...

It does mean you need 2 bypasses though (one to recirculate on partial throttle and one to bypass the sc when the sc cuts out at 3.5k revs)
Edit: or a recirc valve for sc and a bov for the turbo, which gains you rudeboy points, but have to be able to have the bypass valve activate on partial throttle/lift conditions AND when the sc cuts out...

Ok, so this is the design that I personally would go for, having thought long and hard about it. Minimum amount of plumbing, and you can make it so the sc only engages when the accelerator is fully depressed via a microswitch, and then have the shift light circuit control a relay that disengages the sc at the desired revs :)
1387788026167.jpg

Not if the sc is ONLY engaged at full throttle... if you wanted the sc engaged at say 75-100% throttle you might need it instead of valve 1...

of course the bypass valve might do a good enough job of smoothing the boost on partial throttle and on sc/turbo transition on its own. I'd run it how I've done it, and test it knowing can disconnect the sc and open bypass and still run as a just turbo while you fiddle to get it right :)

you could cut the s/c via a boost pressure switch maybe ? for a smoother transition
and how about a centrifugal clutch neil ?

you could cut the s/c via a boost pressure switch maybe ? for a smoother transition
and how about a centrifugal clutch neil ?
Turbo would be freewheeling while sc is engaged eh, as the sc will effectively choke the air supply to the turbo (being a fixed displacement pump), and the sc will give a fairly linear boost curve right until it disengages... Centrifugal clutch could work if you had it so it disengages at a certain speed (as we deliberately want the sc to come in at the lower revs) but then you don't have the option of using a switch on the throttle to disengage the sc depending on the throttle position (for fuel economy etc).

Ok had a little revision of things

a3yqegut.jpg

Number 4 valve is to control the boost of s/c, solenoid opens allowing pressure onto a wastage actuator.

I wonder if that supercharger boost control valve could be made to work off the throttle cable, and would work as just a throttle body that is fully open on idle and fully closed on WOT (a backwards throttle body)

The way I intend it to work is to jus regulate the boost pressure of the s/c, to 0.5 bar, jus like wastegte on turbo. Idle bypass still operated by vacuum

Once the turbo circuit is activated, solenoid to the s/c actuator is disengaged so no air can operate the actuator so it's fully closed , then turbo can boost to a higher pressure.....if that makes sense lol

The way I intend it to work is to jus regulate the boost pressure of the s/c, to 0.5 bar, jus like wastegte on turbo. Idle bypass still operated by vacuum

Once the turbo circuit is activated, solenoid to the s/c actuator is disengaged so no air can operate the actuator so it's fully closed , then turbo can boost to a higher pressure.....if that makes sense lol
Ahh that makes sense, That works too :)

If your sc has teflon blades mind, you'll need an intercooler between turbo and sc or the hot air from the turbo could burn the teflon seals.

Il look at that too mate.

Picked up a set of these cbr600 itbs

uby2y6ep.jpg

for £22, see if they really do match my cbr600 manifold

If so, I might switch to EFI and a buy a mega squirt instead of megajolt

This has all got rather complicated hasn't it.
I'm having an electroclutch and 1 bypass valve. That's it and it'll run just fine :D

You're all too fussy :p

Back