K11 1.0l Modifications, Bike Carbs etc....Questions...

Hi there, this is my first post, so therefore my first thread too, so just like to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm Dom, 17, from South Wales. I'm a go-kart mechanic and a motor maniacgrr .

I have got a 1.0l micra planned for when I pass my test (a family friend has it and mum won't let me touch it till I pass my test because she knows what I'm like haha).

So I am looking at modifying this for fast road and trackday use, I would like to stick with the 1 litre engine though, need to make that clear for all you capacity loving people:love: .

For the chassis I have front and rear strut braces, coilovers, negative camber kit if they are available, thicker front and rear anti-roll bars, and a cage.

But chassis parts aside, as I know they are bolt on goodies.

So to the engine. It's a 60 000 mile engine. Obviously breathing is a good start, so closed cold air induction kit, decent manifold and competition de-cat exhaust.

First off, how much power gain could I expect from just these engine modifications?

Then I would like to go straight to bike carbs. With this I would obviously do a overhaul to the engine, and upgrade ignition system and fuel and oil pumps, etc, to allow the engine to cope. Would I need any other modifications to allow proper running? Head work? etc....... But what I am interested in, is how hard a fit is this? Are parts readily available, what carbs would I run ideally? and manifold? What power can I expect once set-up properly on dyno? And a price if anyone has that much info?

What can I reliably run a 1.0 engine at power wise?

I would like to keep the 1.0l engine and try not to go into engine work with regards to machining, balancing, lightening and so on for reliability issues.

Also a few other things.....

Mounting bucket seats? I have read there is a problem due to chassis rails or something in the way on the floor? After all, I don't want to be flying round a corner, then end up like a bike rider trying to get my knee down out the window!:devil:

Has anyone any build pics of carb installation and some details of parts and so on.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide me with.

I'm sure I will join up as a member when I pass my test and you can be sure you will see me at meetings and at the track:devil: grr .

Dom

Remember, that the 1.0 won't have the mounts for front and rear anti-roll bar, you'll need to cut these off a 1.3 and weld them to the 1.0 chassis.

It depends what year 1.0 it was, the later 1.0s got anti roll bars as standard:

Parkers said:
Jan 1996 Revised range: 1.0 Shape, GX and S; 1.3 GX, SR and SLX, all with new grille, front and rear antiroll bars

Welcome to the club by the way! :)

Thanks for that, will need to check year of car :)

I've just been looking round for inlet manifolds and came across the company bogg brothers, but I cannot access their site???

Are they still in business, or anyone have any more info about his company?

Thanks

What reg is the car?

You are better off fitting a set of GSXR throttlebodies opposed to the carbs, it'll run much nicer. Nobody has done ITBs on a K11 yet, but the 1.3 kit cars got 150-160brake with wild cams + 8k rev limit, so 100+ is feasible, if it can handle the revs - are you aiming at competing in any particular series?

i think only the facelift 1.0 got both arb's, my 98 1.0 si had both.

i think the front arb monts will be there on a pre-facelift 1.0, well the bottom arms are the same and the brackets only need bolt holes - i can't see those not being there.

i think only the facelift 1.0 got both arb's, my 98 1.0 si had both.

i think the front arb monts will be there on a pre-facelift 1.0, well the bottom arms are the same and the brackets only need bolt holes - i can't see those not being there.

Yes, the mk IIs have both front & rear ARBs on all models, if you have a pre-96 car, then you can fit the front one, but the rear axle is different and doesn't have the mounts for them

What reg is the car?

You are better off fitting a set of GSXR throttlebodies opposed to the carbs, it'll run much nicer. Nobody has done ITBs on a K11 yet, but the 1.3 kit cars got 150-160brake with wild cams + 8k rev limit, so 100+ is feasible, if it can handle the revs - are you aiming at competing in any particular series?

What about an ecu for the throttle bodies? Any info on that please? Also I need some info on manifolds if there is anyone in the know, also bogg brothers??? Can't access their site, are they still in business?

And with regards to competing, I haven't fully looked into that as of yet. I would like to get some experience and trackdays under my belt and go from there. I am aiming to compete next year though, and over this coming year I will be fitting FIA spec equipment, roll cage, fire extuinguishers, seats, harness' etc. My friend has a k11 Micra 1.3, he won the Welsh Championship for the sub 1400cc class last year, but before that he competed in sub 1000cc rallies and I would like to do these, and possibly some sprint racing too. But as I say, as of yet I have not looked into this.

And btw, do MSC organize any trackdays or similar events?

Thanks for the replies.

Dom

What about an ecu for the throttle bodies? Any info on that please? Also I need some info on manifolds if there is anyone in the know, also bogg brothers??? Can't access their site, are they still in business?

And with regards to competing, I haven't fully looked into that as of yet. I would like to get some experience and trackdays under my belt and go from there. I am aiming to compete next year though, and over this coming year I will be fitting FIA spec equipment, roll cage, fire extuinguishers, seats, harness' etc. My friend has a k11 Micra 1.3, he won the Welsh Championship for the sub 1400cc class last year, but before that he competed in sub 1000cc rallies and I would like to do these, and possibly some sprint racing too. But as I say, as of yet I have not looked into this.

And btw, do MSC organize any trackdays or similar events?

Thanks for the replies.

Dom

There was talk of a track day with the SSC, but that never materialised, most people don't seem to want to spend the money on a track day, or maybe don't have a hardore enough car to maybe.

ECU, you are probably best going for a full standalone as you will need to get it mapped rpm vs tps to get it to run, I am sure that Ed can do this if you want to go down this route.

On Boggs brothers, pass, I think there was a scan of an article on them that should have their phone number - that's your best bet, phone them up and see what they say.

You can get , I think, Jenvey throttlebody kit from matt humphris, think it weighs in at ~500 quid for manifold etc and he will be able to point you to someon who can set it all up.

Or, if you go GSXR, then I know some-one that can sort you out manifolds, airbox etc, basically a full kit (minus ECU).

Craig

There was talk of a track day with the SSC, but that never materialised, most people don't seem to want to spend the money on a track day, or maybe don't have a hardore enough car to maybe.

ECU, you are probably best going for a full standalone as you will need to get it mapped rpm vs tps to get it to run, I am sure that Ed can do this if you want to go down this route.

On Boggs brothers, pass, I think there was a scan of an article on them that should have their phone number - that's your best bet, phone them up and see what they say.

You can get , I think, Jenvey throttlebody kit from matt humphris, think it weighs in at ~500 quid for manifold etc and he will be able to point you to someon who can set it all up.

Or, if you go GSXR, then I know some-one that can sort you out manifolds, airbox etc, basically a full kit (minus ECU).

Craig

WooHoo, this is big progress:D

I think a trackday can be fun in any car tbh, power or no power, I remember seeing at an mg trackday an old mini and an mgb gt going at it, both standard, was very entertaining! If you got someone to battle with it makes it all worthwhile!

And I am new to ecu's and all that! I am a kart and minimoto racer and always fettled with carbs, no nothing of ecu's tbh hence why I was opting for bike carbs, also cost does worry me a little, but if I can get a decent set-up for good money, I don't see why not, just need some advice on that subject.

And these kits you talk of! Hmmmmm, very interested! Have you got msn by any chance?

Thanks Again!

Dom

Yes I do, you are better off e-mailing me at the minute as my finals start next week so no time for MSN.
Craig

Back