• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Porks bike carbs and boost project

IMG_20130722_133653_zps25047356.jpg

Yeh, K10 loom spliced into the 2 wires coming off the K11 plug. and then the main live just bolts on, and I just stick the earth on the block :)

If you need a plug I might have one kicking around you can have for the postage?

Yeh, K10 loom spliced into the 2 wires coming off the K11 plug. and then the main live just bolts on, and I just stick the earth on the block :)

If you need a plug I might have one kicking around you can have for the postage?

Cheers!!
Most helpful

Sure I can find a plug at scrappy, thanks tho

Coming think m fast today

Thought beings as I'm playing with electrics, I'd see if the starter motor works still,......clicks in but won't turn engine

Engine turns fine by hand
Got 12v
Took starter off and spins round fine on its own

So fitted starter back on turned key, but doesn't turn engine round

So possible solutions?

Could it be that the little k10 ma10 battery ain't man enough?

Not unless you can find a meter that can handle 200amps :(
You can check the battery though. Hook it up for voltage as normal. Crank engine. If it drops below approx 10v its probably got a dead cell

Right, had another go, stuck meter on battery, 12v, cranked it and went down to 8v
It turned the engine over once slowly
Now all it does is click the solenoid in, you can see the flywheel move a bit (no bell housing plate)
I tried it with jump leads too on my van, but nothing

And then a bit off smoke came off starter so I stopped

I also tried it direct off jump Cables, from my van onto starter, still nothing

Gotta be the starter ?
Not necessarily. I knew my starter was fine yet when my battery went flat it took jump leads.. lots of revs and some persuading. Eventually it turned over 4/5 times and started.
How did you hook up the leads?

I'd top the battery up if necessary and give it a charge and try again :)
I'd of gone through the battery so it draws from your battery and the van. Not just the van its already using current on itself :)

The earth goes directly to the battery from the starter, and so does live, no joints

So can't be bad connection can it? Or am I missing something?

Stupid car electrics, give me 3 phase AC and I'm fine! :D

With the volts dropping to 8v, what does that mean?

Usually means a bad cell in the battery. Or low charge. With it only dropping to 8v rather than 3/4v I'd say its just a tad flat.
My battery on my k10 earths to the chassis. And the battery also earths to chassis as the same point :) so maybe try that?

Il give everything a try then :D

Hope it's jus duff battery, or bad earth

I'm not very close to having it running, I just wanted to know it works now ;)

If jumping from another battery still gives poor starter performance it could be the starter solenoid has burnt up contacts. Disconnect the starter motor leads to the solenoid, turn the key to the starter position and measure the resistance accross the solenoid. 0.1-1 ohm is a good bet for what it should be :)

If jumping from another battery still gives poor starter performance it could be the starter solenoid has burnt up contacts. Disconnect the starter motor leads to the solenoid, turn the key to the starter position and measure the resistance accross the solenoid. 0.1-1 ohm is a good bet for what it should be :)
You know.. I'd be lost without you sometimes
That may explain his smoking issue earlier

Sorted bad earth lol :( :D

Thanks people

Now that that out of the way, saw this cool thing on retro rides, home made carbon plenum!

Anyone ever made anything out off carbon? Not talking about the vinyl stuff!

Would it be strong enough to width stand turbo pressure of, say, 14psi?

14psi wont touch it.
I wont claim to have made something like that. I've made flat things. But its fairly simple. Just like fibreglass :)

14psi wont touch it.
I wont claim to have made something like that. I've made flat things. But its fairly simple. Just like fibreglass :)
Without calculating an actual volume, it's hard to say what amount off pressure there will be I guess

But I presume it's quite tough stuff

My plenum is steel :)

I have access to a place that makes communication dishes which ate made from carbon fibres, and all there vacuum stuff lol

I have compressors in cool places

Why not use GFRP? So much cheaper. Don't think you really need the strength of carbon, in reality 14psi is nothing. It's the fittings and fitments that will leak if any and that will be the same with carbon and GFRP.
I deal with people 'bumming carbon' all the time at uni, unless it's done with massive research as to the fiber direction and volume fractions and then cured in an autoclave its no better really. People just love the look and bragging rights imo.
Sorry if that sounded angry, it's a pet hate and not at all personal.

Why not use GFRP? So much cheaper. Don't think you really need the strength of carbon, in reality 14psi is nothing. It's the fittings and fitments that will leak if any and that will be the same with carbon and GFRP.
I deal with people 'bumming carbon' all the time at uni, unless it's done with massive research as to the fiber direction and volume fractions and then cured in an autoclave its no better really. People just love the look and bragging rights imo.
Sorry if that sounded angry, it's a pet hate and not at all personal.

No worries :)

I just have stuff at my disposal and never really thought about using the stuff

Back