Older drivers are stupid

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I was coming round a roundabout at the speed limit, have come to my exit and indicated in plenty of time and this old guy has pulled out without even looking, he was looking over at his wife. Anyway I've slightly moved over but a lorry stopped my from going any further and he still hasn't looked, by this point we're rubbing front wings so I've held my horn in for about 20 seconds, he's panicked, slammed the brakes on and clipped into the kerb, then looked at me like I'm retarded.

What were they teaching drivers 30 years ago? I thought you gave way to the right on a roundabout and always looked at the road. Had I been alone in the car I wouldn't have moved over and would have taken his front end out, not my problem as I'm insured. Road rage may involve young people but it's caused by old people.

You didn't already know this?

My driver instructor taught me some interesting stuff when I was learning. He was an ex police driver, and he said that the highest risk group isn't young males, it's 50+ females and old men. I can't remember the reasons exactly, but the women are to do with the fact that in the older days, the man did all the driving, and as a result, they've forgotten how to, and their reactions aren't as good, and they're not used to the mass of traffic on the roads. And the men are to do with the second half of that sentence.

Could he have been foreign? Other EU countries have different rules regarding roundabouts.

But yes people are so unobservant when it comes to driving it's scary. The number of times I've been following people and we've come to a halt at a roundabout when its clear is rediculous. With idiots joining the roundabout when they shouldn't though, you've always got the option of going back round (not in your case as a truck had kindly filled that gap).

You didn't already know this?

My driver instructor taught me some interesting stuff when I was learning. He was an ex police driver, and he said that the highest risk group isn't young males, it's 50+ females and old men. I can't remember the reasons exactly, but the women are to do with the fact that in the older days, the man did all the driving, and as a result, they've forgotten how to, and their reactions aren't as good, and they're not used to the mass of traffic on the roads. And the men are to do with the second half of that sentence.

Oh and heres me nearly 50 lol and drive a post office van 8 hrs a day 20 yrs service no knocks or bumps so when im 50 im going to have a blemish on my record something to look forward to. and i would say my reactions are as good as any young driver if not better. I would think its down to the individual driver or how often or not you drive. Its funny but insurance companys put young drivers at high risk and not the mature drivers why is this maybe mature drivers have less accidents lol(Y)

Mature drivers have less accidents cos the young drivers are on the ball enough to take evasive action.

If this was a young person they would have been done for driving without due care and attention.
If it happens again I won't move over, maybe this will help government figures be a little more accurate.

It's just lucky I have a really loud horn that can be heard for miles lol

And I do realise some mature drivers are still ok, but a lot of them think they're good drivers and stop paying attention.

Out of all the times I've almost been killed on the roads only once was it due to a young driver, and that was me not paying proper attention in the snow. I've had old guys try to knock me off my bike, swerving across 3 lanes of the M4, slamming brakes on for no reason, indicating for 2 miles then turning the indicator off and turning with no signal. If I ever get that bad I'll stop driving, I just wish these guys had the sense to do the same

Oh and heres me nearly 50 lol and drive a post office van 8 hrs a day 20 yrs service no knocks or bumps so when im 50 im going to have a blemish on my record something to look forward to. and i would say my reactions are as good as any young driver if not better. I would think its down to the individual driver or how often or not you drive. Its funny but insurance companys put young drivers at high risk and not the mature drivers why is this maybe mature drivers have less accidents lol(Y)

There's exceptions. And it came out wrong. It's 50+ females, and men from a bit older, like 65 or something.

yea but mate you are a legend ;) its everyone else who sux lol

IMO, most people belive there a good driver and its everyone else who sucks. doesnt matter if you caused the accident or not. most people blame it on somone else.

unless your the totally honest witch is about 30% or people out of a 100% lol.

Yep does my head in too!

I wouldn't hit him even if i had right of way because no matter what the right of way, the police will always try and pin it on the young driver especially if they have a fairly fast car as a matter of form.

When a car took me out on my bike even when i was in a hospital bed the police were still trying to almost put the words in my mouth despite the fact i had complete right of way, and they admitted i wasn't even doing the speed limit or i'd be dead.

*Rant Over ha*

IMO, most people belive there a good driver and its everyone else who sucks. doesnt matter if you caused the accident or not. most people blame it on somone else.

unless your the totally honest witch is about 30% or people out of a 100% lol.

thats funnie because 76% of people belive that 90% of satistics are made up on the spot :D:laugh:

Well im just going off my own driving experiance and to be honest I might have had a better start at driving than others as I was allowed to drive cars from the scrap yard my dad worked at from been 10 yr old. I then went onto riding bikes and at 17 had the yam rd 250 (cant do that now) Then at 19 went back to cars im now 47 no accidents and clean licence and no claims. So again I would say its up to the individual and there is allways going to be good and bad, in fact Theres my dad drove all his life again no accidents had heavy goods class 1 and other entitlements That I thought were just big headed lol, like advanced driving ect he has not had any claims ,accidents or points. He still drives and if im half as good as he is or was then I will be happy. Im not saying that this guy wasnt to blame on this occasion but and its a big but there is nothing that can replace experiance something young drivers just dont have.

I think everyone should have to read roadcraft as part of their driving test, I think it made me a much better driver without having to make the mistakes it would take to learn these things. Experience is important but, as this old guy showed, doesn't make you a good driver

There are lots of bad young drivers, however there are probably equally as many or more bad old drivers. Young drivers might speed, or be a bit naughty, but you will rarely see a headline where they accidently pressed the wrong pedal or went the wrong way down a motorway,

it could go on and on like what came first the chicken or the egg lol I was unlucky enough to see the early 80s and the joy riding craze that swept this country older drivers they wernt sensible young drivers they wernt younger drivers they were and then theres the growing increase in driving whislt smacked out of your head 65+ i dont think so, As there are good and bad on both sides its an argument niether side could win or prove. And as arnold has said Young drivers might speed, or be a bit naughty how many of them die or get hospitalised because of this when they lose control of there chaved up corsa or the like.........You dont see many 65+ drivers sitting at traffic lights as if it were santa pod.

Old peiople either take 3 days to put the car into gear and pull away at a green light or don't see the traffic lights at all and run red lights.

I'm not saying this is true of all old drivers but older people do have a slower reaction speed, this is a fact. When your crappy reactions start getting you into trouble you should stop driving that's all I'm saying. When my driving becomes a problem I will stop driving, although I'll probably need someone to tell me as I won't know it myself.

I tried to tell my grandad to stop driving after he almost got us killed but he went off about what do I know, he's been driving years and is just fine.

As ive said there is good or bad on both sides of the scale and the argument for who is right or wrong could go on forever, I myself dont like been put into the catorgory old as im nearing 50 lol (3 years time) as for reaction times within the car I would and this is just me, put my self as good as any young driver on here, would i be prepared to put this to a test you bet I would, There is lots of things that contribute to been slow the main reason Is I think lack of exersise both physical and mental if your brain isint stimulated on a regular basis then your doomed, My job keeps me both physicaly fit and mentaly fit, How many people do you know that can remember 20,000 addresses and how to get to them in the shortest possible route. That said the young drivers of today are tommorows old f***s and they to will be shouting its not there fault it happens to us all, I look forward in anticipation to you all been 50 + lol then to hear your arguments for staying on the roads or not having to re sit your driving test.

Back